Reference - Aashtanga Hridyam Uttarsthan 1/46
Saraswatha Ghrita is a medicated ghrita formulation mentioned in classics especially used for speech deformities like delayed or difficulty in speaking. It also acts on the neurological and digestive system of the body. In this preparation cow’s ghee is used as a base with the herbal drugs. In this article we will discuss Saraswatha ghrita composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Saraswatha Ghrita is a polyherbal preparation, in which cow’s ghee is used as a base drug. This formulation is used by ten drugs, having their extract in the medium of ghrita. It is given as a general health tonic, improving speaking ability, memory power and intelligence. The herbs are infused in a medium of ghee with the water decoction of herbs. It contains oil soluble and water solution phyto active principles of herbs. It is very helpful in dementia, slurring or stammering voice, mental stress and fatigue.
According to classical texts, it acts on all tridosha vata, pitta and kapha. It can be used internally as medicine and externally for snehana (preparatory procedure). Some of the classical indications of Saraswatha ghirat are as following-
- Vaak shakti vardhak (improves speech)
- Medha vridhi (works in intellect)
- Samriti vardhak (boosts memory)
- Aagni vridhi (increase digestive fire)
The ingredients for preparation of Saraswatha ghrita are given as following- (24 grams each)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Shigru (Moringa oleifera)
- Saindhav (Rock salt)
- Goat milk (3 liters)
- Cow ghee (768 grams)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Haritaki- It improves cognitive functioning and boosts digestive fire aiding digestion. It is described as sarv rog prashmak (cures all diseases) and rejuvenates each part of the body. It corrects hoarseness and loss of voice.
- Sunthi- It acts as antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and supports digestive health. It is used to manage sore throat or any pain in the throat region. It soothes the throat by preventing microbes and boosts immunity.
- Pippali- It oxygenates the body and fights against many infections. It has anti-stress and anti-epileptic properties. It is helpful in cough, cold and various disorders.
- Marich- It has various antioxidants and improves digestive functions. It helps in improving memory and cognitive functions.
- Patha- It has analgesic, anti-anxiety properties. It calms the mind by balancing pitta, vata dosha. It is very good immuno modulator and prevents shortness of breath.
- Vacha- It is well known to boost memory functioning. It also improves speech and pronunciation. It is frequently advised in children having speaking difficulties.
- Shigru- It improves mental ability and the healing process becomes faster. It is a rich source of calcium and magnesium with various nutrients so it is helpful in malnutrition.
- Saindhav- It helps to relieve throat pain, throat swelling, dry cough and other throat complaints. It helps in digestion and removes toxins from the body.
- Goat milk- It is antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and prevents allergic disease. It is a rich source of proteins and calcium. Overall it corrects body metabolism.
- Cow ghee- It is a rich source of various vitamins which helps in cellular functioning and growth of tissues. It boosts memory, immunity, digestion, bones and muscles.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Saraswatha ghrita are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare kalka (paste) from kalka dravyas in a clean stainless steel vessel.
- Add cow’s ghee to the kalka prepared and mix it properly.
- Then prepare the decoction of drav dravyas (by reducing the solution to one fourth in quantity).
- At last add decoction to the kalka-ghee mixture and stir the solution properly.
- Then the solution obtained should be cooked on a mild fire till there remains a quantity of ghee.
- Filter the ghrita obtained, store in an airtight glass container and keep it away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Saraswatha ghrita are described as following-
- It has cognitive properties.
- Improves speech, throat function.
- It has an antidepressant effect.
- It act as immuno modulator.
- It has inflammatory, anti-microbial activity.
The various indications of Saraswatha ghrita are given as follows-
- Mental disorders
- Memory loss
The conditions when this ghrita is not indicated are as follows-
- Diabetes mellitus
Dosage / Usage
10-20 ml twice daily before food.
With lukewarm water
Above mentioned Saraswata ghrita is very beneficial for speech related disorders with neurological functioning. It is a herbal product which is made of all natural herbs such as haritaki, vacha, etc. So for such conditions one can use this formulation daily and if any severity you may take physician guidance.