Reference - Sahasrayogam Thailam Prakarana
Rasnadi Thailam is a herbal oil formulation mentioned in classical texts. It is usually used in painful conditions and inflammation. It is also beneficial in cold and cough-like symptoms. This oil is prepared by using coconut oil or sesame oil as base. It is basically used in managing diseases affecting the head. In this article we will discuss Rasnadi oil ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Rasnadi thailam is a medicated oil prepared from natural herbs. It mainly acts on vata dosha. So, the important feature of aggravated vata is pain in different parts of the body. As the name suggests Rasnadi thailam, Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) is its primary ingredient. It applied locally over painful regions. It contains oil and water soluble photo chemicals of herbal drugs used. It corrects all nervous and muscular disorders.
According to classical texts, it helps in pacification of vitiated vata dosha among other dosha (vata, pitta and kapha) but some Acharya’s believe it in rakat (blood) and pitta dosha. There is dushti (affecting) of various dhatus (body ailments) like rasa (body fluid), rakat (blood), asthi (bone). The various classical indications of Rasnadi oil is as following-
- Ardit (Facial palsy)
- Ardhavbhedak (Migraine)
- Vaatrakt (Gout)
- Amavata (Rheumatoid arthritis)
The drugs required for preparation of Rasnadi thailam are given as following-
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Madhuk (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Atibala (Abutilon indicum)
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Agnimanth (Premna mucronata)
- Shayonak (Oroxylum indicum)
- Gambhari (Gmelina arborea)
- Patla (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Prishniparni (Uraria picta)
- Brihati (Solanum indicum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris)
- Til tail (Sesame oil)
- Cow’s milk
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Rasna- It is very helpful in rheumatic pain and pacifies muscle spasms due to its analgesic activity. It is also beneficial for osteoarthritis patients. It also manages cold and cough-like symptoms.
- Madhuk- It helps in improving blood circulation, prevents viruses, bacteria and other infections. It reduces pain, swelling and inflammation. It is very effective in cough and cold.
- Bala- It is beneficial in skin numbness, nerve pain and in massage oil for joint diseases. It is helpful in pacifying vata dosha and improves blood circulation.
- Atibala- It is useful in gout and other inflammatory conditions. It has an astringent, anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect so reduces pain, swelling.
- Bilwa- It cures diseases which are caused due to vitiated vata and kapha dosha. It is bitter in taste, corrects metabolism and reduces edema. It is also beneficial for asthmatic patients.
- Agnimantha- Very beneficial for all types of vata related disorders like nervous and musculoskeletal pain. It is useful in conditions such as neuralgia, arthritis and common cold.
- Shayonag- It has antioxidant properties, prevents microbes and reduces inflammation. It is used as antipyretic, anti arthritic and analgesic.
- Gambhari- It relieves pain, vertigo, inflammation and vata related disorders. Beneficial if any weakness in the nervous system. It acts as a hepato and cardio protective drug.
- Patla- It is a neuro protective drug which removes toxins from the body and reduces pain, swelling. It strengthens full body muscles and increases metabolism of the body.
- Shalparni- It is very effective in enteric fever, respiratory problems and strengthens the immune system. It provides power to muscles and maintains good blood flow.
- Prishniparni- It is very effective in healing fractured bones and provides strength to bones. Also beneficial for types of fever, cough, bronchitis, gout, burning sensation.
- Brihati- It is beneficial for digestion and edematous swelling. It prevents bacterial, viral infections and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kantakari- It decoction is useful in respiratory disorders like cough, cold and fever. It has anthelmintic properties. It relieves various types of skin infections, swelling.
- Gokshura- It is used to manage asthma, cough, edema, rheumatic pain like conditions. It provides strength to the nervous system and boosts ophthalmic nerves.
- Til tail- It reduces pain, inflammation and acts as an antioxidant. It is very beneficial in arthritis and gingivitis. It is good for stress and depression.
- Cow’s milk- It contains nutrients which are important for bone health such as calcium, vit.D, protein and phosphorus. It helps in healing of fractured bones.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Rasnadi thailam are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then make kalka (paste) of the drugs.
- Then add milk to the paste formed and mix them properly, keep stirring.
- At last add sesame oil to the solution obtained and mix it properly.
- Then filter the oil obtained in a clean vessel.
- Store the oil in a clean airtight glass container and keep it away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Rasnadi thailam are given as following-
- It has an analgesic property.
- Has an anti arthritic effect.
- It has an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property.
- Have an anti-helminthic, anti-factorial, antifungal effect.
The various indications of Rasnadi Thailam are given as following-
- Facial palsy
- LBA (low backache)
- Chronic fever
- Cold and cough
- Diseases of ear, eyes, nose, throat
- Joint pain
- Muscular pain
The conditions when Rasnadi thailam not given are as following-
- Administered as per directed by the physician.
- Avoided in women during puerperium.
- Difficulty in breathing.
Dosage / Usage
Applied locally to the painful region twice daily or given as nasya (nasal installation) 2-3 drops in each nostril.
Above mentioned oil is mentioned in our classics which manages all types of pain related disorders. It is prepared by using sesame or coconut oil as a base in this herbal formulation. It is indicated in all nervous and musculoskeletal conditions. Overall it is beneficial for ENT related or inflammatory disorders. So you can use Rasnadi oil for painful conditions under the supervision of a physician.