Narayana Taila (Oil)
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali - Vatavyadhi - 140 - 150.
Narayana Taila (Oil) is widely used Ayurvedic oil (Thailam). It has it use in treating many neuro-muscular and skeleto-muscular conditions, like arthritis, neuralgia etc. It is useful in oral administration as well as external application.
Ingredients and Method of Preparation
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Agnimantha (Premna mucronata)
- Shyonaka (Oroxylum indicum)
- Patala (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Paribhadra (Erythrina variegate)
- Prasarini (Paedaria foetida)
- Brihati (Solanum indicum)
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Atibala (Abutilon indicum)
- Shvadamshtra (Tribulus terrestris)
- Punarnava - Boerhaavia diffusa
Water for decoction - 49.152 liters, boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters.
- Taila (Sesame oil) (Sesamum indicum) - 3.072 liter
96 grams of fine powder of each of following, made into paste with water:-
- Shatapushpa (Anethum sowa)
- Devadaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Mamsi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- Shaileyaka (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Tagara (Valeriana wallichi)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Ela (cardamom) (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Mashaparni (Teramnus labialis)
- Mudgaparni (Phaseolus trilobus)
- Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Prishnaparni (Uraria picta)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Turagagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Saindhava Lavana (Rock salt)
- Punarnava (Boerhaavia diffusa)
- Shatavari rasa - Juice extract/water decoction of (Asparagus racemosus) - 3.072 liters
- Goksheera - Cow milk / goat milk - 12.288 liters
Heat all the above combination of herbs and liquids till total moisture get evaporated. Finally filter it and store.
How to Use?
It is useful for massage
Oral intake 5-20 drops 1-2 times a day, before having meals, along with warm water or warm milk, as recommended by Ayurvedic doctor.
This oil is used for massage for ladies, after delivery, to improve body strength.
It is also used as massage oil for babies.
- This oil is useful to relieve aches and pains due to travelling.
- It is also good to improve bone strength in case of osteoporosis and arthritis.
- It is useful in joint disorders like Osteo arthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, lumbar and cervical spondylosis, gout.
- Oral intake of this oil is Ayurvedic medicine for infertility in female and useful in treatment of oligospermia in males
- It can be used as nasal instillation enhance the strength of sense organs and to treat hearing and vision problems.
- It is also good remedy for locked jaw and toothache.
- Its massage is even helpful to relieve testicular pain
Contraindications/ Side Effects
- No side effects are noticed with its external application.
- Oral intake of this must be done under strict medical directions only.