Dantodbhed Gadantak Ras
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Balarogadhikara 160 – 162.
Dantodbhed Gadantak Ras is an Ayurvedic medicine in tablet form, used in treatment of disorders that occur during teeth eruption in children such as fever, diarrhea etc. This medicine contains heavy metal ingredients, hence should only be taken under strict medical supervision. This medicine is most commonly used in North Indian Ayurvedic practice.
10 g fine powder of each of:-
- Pippali (Long pepper) (Piper longum) - fruit
- Pippalimoola (Long pepper) (Piper longum) - root
- Chavya (Java Long Pepper) (Piper chaba)
- Chitraka (Lead Wort) (Plumbago zeylanica) - root
- Nagara (Ginger) (Zingiber officinalis) - Rhizome
- Ajamoda - Ajowan (Trachyspermum roxburghianum) - fruit
- Yavani (Trachyspermum ammi)
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) Rhizome
- Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Daru (Himalayan cedar) (Cedrus deodara) - bark
- Darvi (Tree Turmeric) (Berberis aristata) - stem
- Vidanga (False black pepper) (Embelia ribes)
- Ela (Cardamom) (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Nagakeshara (Mesua ferrea)
- Musta (Nut grass) (Cyperus rotundus) - root
- Shati (Curcuma zeodaria/Hedychium spicatum)
- Shrungi (Colocynth) (Citrullus colocynthis) - dried pulp
- Vida Lavana (Vida salt)
- Abhraka Bhasma (Purified and processed Mica)
- Shankha Bhasma (Bhasma of Conch Shell)
- Loha Bhasma (Bhasma prepared from Iron)
- Makshika Bhasma (Bhasma of Copper-Iron Pyrite)
- Payas (Milk) - quantity sufficient for grinding
Method of Preparation
Take 10gm of each ingredient and grind them to powder form along with milk.
Dantodbhed Gadantak Ras is an ayurvedic medicine contains many ingredients in it. The ingredients used in it are pippali, pippalimoola, chavya, chitraka, nagara, ajamoda, yavani, shankha bhasma, loha bhasma, makshika bhasma and many other. Pippali, pippalimoola contains piperine, B- sitosterol, cepharadiones and essential oils etc, due to which it is best digestive and helps to relieve bloating and constipation. Chavya has atisar hara and grahi properties due to which it relieves diarrhea and dysentery. Chitraka has pungent taste, hot in action, digestive and appetizer which balances vata and kapha. Used for worms, abdominal colic, anemia etc. Nagara is bitter & pungent in taste, used as carminative, helpful in good digestion and fever. Yavani seeds are pungent, bitter in taste, carminative, appetizer/digestive & balance vata and kapha doshas in body. Turmeric has analgesic, anti-bacterial, anti-allergic, antioxidant properties so it is wonderful herb in many ways. Loh Bhasma is prepared from iron, it has the capacity to balance kapha and pitta dosha in body. Abhrak Bhasma constituents are iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, aluminum, plant alkaloids which are useful in respiratory disorders, abdominal diseases etc. The combinations of the herbs in Dantobhed gandantak ras is very beneficial in fever, diarrhea even that are common in children during teeth eruption. This ras should be taken under medical supervision only.
- This is an efficient Ayurvedic treatment for fever, diarrhea etc. that are common in children during teeth eruption.
- It has property to speed up teeth eruption.
- Take single tablet with water.
- Take 1 tablet (125mg) and ground it. Use this now to rub on the gums with a finger or as suggested by the Physician.
- Practicing Self-medication with this medicine might result side effects, as it comprises of heavy metal ingredient.
- Take exact dose and for limited period of time, as suggested by doctor.
- It's over dose might results in side effects.
- Avoid accidental ingestion.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile