Reference: Chakradatta Rajayakshma adhikara – 83
Nirgundi Ghrita is an Ayurvedic formulation in form of medicated herbal ghee. It has ghee as its base and it can control vata and Pitta in the body. It is useful in preparatory procedure for Panchakarma and also as medicine.
- Nirgundi swarasa (Vitex negundo) – juice extract of– 3.072 liters
- Ghrita (Ghee) – 768 g
- Nirgundi bolus – 96 g
Method of Preparation
Take all above combination of ingredient and is heat them till herbal ghee is obtained.
It is Ayurvedic formulation available in Ghrita form obtained from herb Nirgundi (Vitex Negundo). This herb has ability to pacify vata and pitta doshas. This herb is very effective to manage the various problems like mental problems, respiratory problems, digestion problems, joint problems etc. In case of mental disorders it acts as a brain tonic and controls the vata dosha thus it is useful in case of headache, sciatica and improves the memory. It is also useful in various ear problems. In case of respiratory problems it improves the ventilation and therefore it is useful in case of cough, asthma, pneumonia and pleurisy. Apart from these it has analgesic properties which is useful in case of arthritic pain, scrotal swelling and headache. It is useful in case of chronic rhinitis and arthritis. It is useful in case of digestion problems like indigestion, bloating and gastritis. It improves the digestion and enhances the appetite. It helps to normalize the menstrual flow therefore used in dysmenorrhea and other related conditions. It has cleaning action on body and helps in healing of wounds. Use of Nirgundi Ghrita is effective to improve the blood circulation and helps to get easy passage of urine.
This Ayyurvedic Ghrita has wide use as medicine as well preparatory procedure called snehakarma to treat people having sustained injury.
- Medicine: 1/4th to 1/2th teaspoon with water, usually before having meal 1-2 times twice daily, or as recommended by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Panchakarma preparation: Snehana procedure, the dose depends on the disease status and the judgment of Ayurvedic doctor.
Administered along with warm water.
Contraindications/ Side Effects
- Till now no known side effects with this medicine has been reported.
- It is advised to avoid its self-medication and consume it under strict medical directions.
- People suffering from conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, heart diseases and high BP must be very cautious.
- Its high dose, might lead to diarrhea and indigestion.