Panchagavya Ghrita - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Charaka Chikitsa Sthana 10th chapter, Ashtanga Hridayam Chikitsa Sthana 12/19-23
Panchagavya Ghrita is an Ayurvedic formulation in form of medicated herbal ghee. This Ayurvedic medicine having ghee as its base has properties to keep the Pitta and kapha controlled in the body. It is a useful in preparatory procedure for Panchakarma and also as medicine. Here Panchagavya denotes five different components of cow products.
- Gomaya swarasa (The water extract prepared from cow dung) – 3.072 liters
- Ksheera (Cow Milk) – 3.072 Liters
- Dadhi (Cow cheese) – 3.072 Kg
- Mutra (Cow Urine) – 3.072 Liters
- Ghritham (Cow's Ghee) – 768 Grams
Method of Preparation
Use all above given combinations and heat them till herbal ghee is obtained.
- Medicine: 1/4th to 1/2th teaspoon with water, usually before having meal 1-2 times twice daily, or as recommended by Ayurvedic doctor.
In 3 year old - Give up to 2 gm. on empty stomach, administered along with warm water.
- Panchakarma Preparation: Snehana procedure, the dose depends on the disease status and the judgment of Ayurvedic doctor.
- This Ayurvedic preparation has wide use as medicine as well as in preparatory procedure called snehakarma to treat Neurological and Psychiatric conditions, epilepsy, insanity, fever.
- Also good in case of Liver Diseases like jaundice.
- Very nutritious.
- Good herbal remedy for internal dryness.
- It can improve weight, luster, and digestion.
- Also provides relief from Constipation.
- Also strengthens brain, nerves, eyes, rectum and other body organs.
Contraindications / Side Effects
- Till now no known side effects with this medicine has been reported.
- It is advised to avoid its self-medication and consume it under strict medical directions.
- People suffering from conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, heart diseases and high BP must be very cautious.
- Its high dose, might leads to diarrhea and indigestion.