Obesity (Overweight)- Ayurvedic Approach To Manage Sthaulya
A disorder involves the accumulation of excessive fat in the skin that increases health-related problems such as heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes. When the person's BMI (body mass index) is equal to or more than 25 then it is considered overweight and when it is 30 it is considered obese. From 1975 to 2016 prevalence of overweight in children and adolescents increased from 4% to 18%.
Due to changes in lifestyle and daily life activities of a person the chances of obesity increase, as a result, there is excessive accumulation of fat in the body which leads to very serious conditions. In Ayurveda obesity is known as Sthaulya which is considered in Medo Rog.
Measurement of obesity is done in the following way-
- BMI (Body mass index)- Body mass divided by the square of the body height.
- Waist hip ratio (divide the waist size by the hip size and check the ratio)
- Skin fold thickness (With the help of the thumb and index finger of the left hand lift the skin fold and with the right hand use the calliper and raise the skin fold up to 1cm and then check the skinfold measurement after 4 seconds after calliper pressure is released).
There are the following causes that can lead to obesity-
- The sedentary lifestyle of people
- Genetics (pass from generation to generation)
- Limited outside activities
- Consume more fast food
- Consume cold drinks and packaged food
- Consume more food
- Lack of sleep at night
- Taking low fibre diet
- Difficulty in walking
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Difficulty in breathing
- Excess sweating
- Eat more food and limited activities
- Less outdoor activities
- Easily tired after physical work
- Physical examination- check weight and height.
- Family history- check if obesity is genetic or not.
- Thyroid and liver function tests- both the diseases associated with obesity.
- Change sedentary lifestyle and daily life activities
- Avoid packaged food
- Take a rich fibre diet
- Doing physical exercises that are 2 to 2.5 hours per week.
Ayurveda Aspect For Obesity
In Ayurveda obesity is explained under Sthaulya which is considered in Medo rog, in which kapha dosha is predominant. Sthaulya is a Santarpanjanya Vikara.
In charak samhita च.सू.२१ under अष्टौनिन्दितीय chapter obesity is described. In the world, eight types of people are described निन्दित in which one is Sthaulya.
In च.सू.२१।०९, Acharya describes the atisthaulya-
Increase in fat which is stored in the breast, buttocks and belly which move during walking. Eight features are described by Acharya Charaka for Atisthaulya - decreased lifespan, excessive thirst, excessive hunger, excessive sweating, the displeasing smell from the body, inability to do sexual activities, inability to breathe properly, and weakness in the body.
- Improper diet
- Improper lifestyle
- Consuming more packaged food
- Consuming water after taking food causes a delay in the digestion of food
- Lack of sleep
- Inability to do sexual activities
- Sitting at work without exercise.
As Medhadhatu obstructs the channel, vata dosha stays in the abdomen (Koshta) and increases the digestive fire as a result food is digested easily and leads to Sthaulya.
- Dosha- kapha and vata
- Doosya- Medadhatu
- Agni - JathAragni and dhatvagni mandya
- Adhisthan- Sphik, udara, stana
- Srotas- Medovaha
- Srotodusti- Sanga
- Swabhava- Chirakari
- Rogmarga- Bahya and abhyantra
- Excessive fat accumulation on breast, abdomen, buttocks.
- Inability in breathing
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive hunger
- Excessive sweating
- Weakness in the body
- The displeasing smell from the body
- Decreased life span
- Inability to do sexual activities
Herbal Remedies For Atisthaulya By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a combination of herbal medicine to treat Atisthaulya. We provide natural remedies that are helpful in weight loss which are effective and safe and have no side effects after usage. The herbs we are using are 100% pure and free from any chemicals, preservatives, and adulterants. The formulations offered by Planet Ayurveda are follows as -
- TRIM SUPPORT
- STHOLYANTAK CHURNA
- GARCINIA CAPSULES
- GUGGUL CAPSULES
- Guggul Capsules – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water half an hour after meals.
- Stholyantak Churna – 1 tsf, twice daily with warm water after meals. Its decoction can also be prepared by mixing 1 tsf of the powder in a glass of water and boiling it to one-fourth the quantity.
- Trim Support – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water half an hour after meals.
- Garcinia Capsules – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water half an hour after meals.
1. Trim Support
It contains Vrikshamla (Garcinia cambogia), Mustak (Cyperus rotundus), Triphala (The myrobalans). Vrikshamla bark is used to treat the appetite of the patient and remove extra fat from the body. Whereas triphala is a mixture of Haritaki, Amla, and Bibhitaki this herb is used to pacify all three doshas and also remove excess fat from the body.
2. Stholyantak Churna
It is a combination of Mustak (Cyperus rotundus), Chirbilva (Haloptela integrifolia), Babool (Acacia arabica), Balbach (Iris ensata), and many other herbs. Suppress the appetite and reduce the kapha dosha. It acts as an antioxidant and blood purifier so it removes toxins from the body. Chitrak herb helps to reduce Meda Dhatu and helps in opening channels. Digestive fire is increased after taking it so it is helpful to burn excess fat or calories in the body.
3. Garcinia Capsules
It is made up of single herb extraction of Garcinia (Garcinia cambogia). It helps in opening channels so it acts as sroto shodhan. It removes toxins from the body. It helps in the nourishment of the body. It also helps to decrease cholesterol levels and burn calories. As carbohydrate is converted into fat in the body and in Garcinia Capsules Hydroxycitric acid is present which stops the process of conversion of carbohydrate into fat.
4. Guggul Capsules
It is a single herb formulation that is prepared by extraction of Guggul (Commiphora mukul). It pacifies all three dosha and maintains healthy functioning of the body. Lower the cholesterol level and help to increase digestive fire as it burns excess calories. It is useful in digestion. It balances all three doshas.
To buy Thinner You Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/thinner-you-pack
As we know Obesity is a major problem. Also, Acharya Charak says that obesity is treated too difficult because as we give Santarpan chikitsa it will increase fat in the body, and as we give Karshana therapy the digestive fire will increase. With the help of herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda and changes in dietary and lifestyle modification, it is easy to cure obesity.