Reference - Sahasrayogam
Panchamla thailam is an Ayurvedic formulation known for its amazing benefits in the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis and ascites. Its action is known to be anti-edematous and works effectively when given an external application over dropsy.
Panchamla thailam has following contents:
- Amlavetasa - Tikul (Garcinia pedunculata)
- Vrikshamla (Garcinia morella)
- Chincha - Tamarind
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Cow Urine
- Supernatant Parts of Curd (Mastu)
- Badara Patra - (Leaves of Ziziphus jujuba)
- Dadim - Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
- Amla parni (Rheum emodi)
- Tila Taila - Gingelly Oil
Description of Main Ingredients
- Amla Parni (Rheum emodi) - This herb consists of acids, resin,mucin,tannic acid, starch, pectin etc and is very effective against skin diseases and inflammation.
- Vrikshamla (Garcinia morella) - This herb has Protocatechuic acid (27), caffeic acid (28), ferulic acid (29), and vanillic acid (30) active ingredients which makes this herb possess a pacifying action over pain, tumour and inflammation.
- Amlavetasa (Garcinia pedunculata) - This herb is amla (sour) in its rasa and vipaka and possess antihistaminic, antiulcerogenic, antimicrobial, antiviral properties.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) - This herb is made up of gallic acid, ellagic acid, tannic acid, which gives it anti-inflammatory properties over the swellings. Its ruksh (dry) properties makes its excellent medicinal use.
- Dadim (Punica granatum) - Its madhur, amla and kshaya rasa makes it very much potent against pain, edema and swellings.The chemical constituents such as flavonoids, ellagitannin, punicalagin, ellagic acid, makes for its use against arthritis, viral and bacterial infections etc.
- Badra Patra (Ziziphus jujuba) - This herb acts as refrigerant and cleans, heals the wounds.This herb when directly applied over skin is also thought to treat dry skin, ease sunburn, and reduce wrinkles along with other signs of aging.
- Chincha (Tamarindus indica) - Tamarind helps to reduce the chances of joint pain, swelling and inflammation associated with arthritis due to its Vata balancing property.
- Mastu (Curd’s whey), cow’s urine are used for their sour properties.
- Tila Taila - The base of sesame oil is given.
- This oil is for external application only.
- Apply the oil over the affected area and leave it for 10 - 15 min.
- Then wash away the oil with lukewarm water.
- Application of oil prior bathing is advised.
- The oil must not be consumed.
- When applied over feet, should thoroughly be washed off or else could make walking very slippery.
- Do not spill over the floor.
- Generally safe during pregnancy and lactation (avoid if had witnessed any prior allergic reactions on its applications).
The amla varga herbs used in this oil are known for their Shodhan, Maaran and Dravaan action. They work effectively against edema and arthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
There are no known side effects of this oil.