Reference: Rasatarangini 23/129
Praval bhasma is a natural rich source of calcium and an Ayurvedic medicine prepared from Coral. It has been used traditionally in Indian Ayurvedic medicine as a supplement in treating various conditions of bone metabolic disorders associated mainly with calcium deficiency. It is also an Ayurvedic treatment for certain other diseases like asthma, cough, bleeding disorders etc. This medicine should only be taken strictly under medical supervision.
It maintain balances of Vata, Pitta and Kapha Doshas but especially Kapha and Vata Dosha.
Ingredients of Praval Bhasma
- Purified coral pieces
- Aloe vera juice extract/Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) root juice extract or Jayanti juice extract or cow milk.
Method of Preparation
First of all grind purified coral pieces into fine powder which is further ground with aloe vera juice extract/Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) root juice extract or Jayanti juice extract or cow milk. It is finally formed to a flat, disc shaped cakes and then it is dried and subjected to 800 - 900 degree Celsius for about 3 - 4 hours. This process is repeated for three times. Ultimately a white colored Bhasma (Coral calx) is obtained.
Praval Bhasma has many uses like:
- For eye disorders and phthisis
- Chronic respiratory diseases
- Bleeding disorders such as nasal bleeding, bleeding hemorrhoids, menorrhagia
- Cough and cold
- Excessive sweating, night sweating
- Painful micturition and leucorrhoea
- Toxic conditions
- It is useful to improve digestive power, immunity, vision power, and skin complexion.
- Consume about 250 mg of Bhasma either one or two times a day before or after food or as suggested by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Traditionally it is administered along with butter, milk, ghee, sugar, candy or honey.
- This medicine must be taken under strict medical direction.
- Its self-medication can be unsafe.
- Over-dosage may result in serious poisonous side effects.
- It is better to avoid in case of pregnant and lactating mothers and even in children.
- Have this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Store in a dry cool place.