Sahacharadi Thailam (Oil)
Reference: Ashtanga Hridayam Chikitsa Sthana 29 / 66-68
Sahacharadi Thailam (Oil) is an herbal Ayurvedic oil used in treatment of imbalance Vata disorders, muscle and joint stiffness and convulsions. It is useful orally and externally for massage.
Ingredients and Method of Preparation
Coarse powder of:-
- Sahachara – Strobilanthes ciliates – 4.8 kg
480 grams of each of:-
- Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Agnimantha – Premna mucronata
- Shyonaka – Oroxylum indicum
- Gambhari – Gmelina arborea
- Patala – Stereospermum suaveolens
- Shalaparni – Desmodium gangeticum
- Prinshnaparni – Urarica picta
- Gokshura – Tribulus terrestris
- Brihati – Solanum indicum
- Kantakari – Solanum xanthocarpum
- Abhiru – Asparagus racemosus – 2.4 kg
Water for decoction – 49.152 liters, boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters, filtered.
Paste prepared from fine powders of 48 g of each of:-
- Sevya – Khus Khus – Vetiveria zizanioides
- Nakha – Capparis sepiaria
- Kushta – Saussurea lappa
- Hima – Sandalwood – Santalum album
- Ela – Cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum
- Sprikka – Anisomeles malabarica
- Priyangu – Callicarpa macrophylla
- Nalika – Hibiscus cannabinus
- Ambu – Pavonia odorata
- Shaileya – Parmelia perlata
- Lohita – Indian Madder (root) – Rubia cordifolia
- Nalada – Nardostachys jatamansi
- Loha (Agaru) – Aquilaria agallocha
- Surahva – Himalayan cedar (bark) – Cedrus deodara
- Choraka – Angelica glauca
- Mishi – Indian Dill – Anethum sowa
- Turushka – Liquid amber orientalis
- Nata – Indian valerian (root) – Valeriana wallichi
- Ksheera – Cow milk – 3.072 liters
- Taila – Sesame oil – Sesamum indicum – 3.072 liters
Heat all the above ingredients till only oil is left behind and filter it.
Store in cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight.
How to use Sahacharadi Thailam (Oil)?
It is used for massage.
Orally - 3-5 ml, 1-2 times a day, before having meals along with warm water or warm milk, or as suggested by Ayurvedic doctor.
It is also used for vaginal douche, rectal enema, Greeva Basti, Janu Basti etc.
How long to use Sahacharadi Thailam (Oil)?
Externally, it can be used for a very long period of time.
Orally and for other Ayurvedic treatments- not more than 2-3 months.
- Efficient Ayurvedic treatment for tremors, convulsions, psychosis, and stiffness of thigh, muscle cramps, and muscle wasting.
- Also a helpful to provide relief from rhinitis and sinusitis.
- Another use in gynecological disorders.
- Reduces the joint pain caused due to Osteoarthritis.
- No side effects till now is being reported with this medicine.
- Its oral intake must be under the direction of Ayurvedic doctor.
- Keep it away from the reach and sight of children.