Saraswatarishta (Saraswatharishtam) - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Rasayana (Brain tonic, Rejuvenator)
Saraswatarishta is an Ayurvedic nervine tonic used in the treatment of mental disorders like epilepsy, memory weakness and many other problems. Major ingredient of this medicine is Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). This herb acts as nervine tonic and helps to pacify the Central Nervous System. Brahmi is used to improve the memory and intelligence. Moreover it helps to clear the voice & improves the digestion. It is used in the treatment of anemia, cough, diabetes, dyspepsia, anorexia and insanity. Saraswatarishta contains 5 - 10 % of self-generated alcohol in it. This self-generated alcohol and the water present in the product serves as a media to provide the water and alcohol soluble active herbal components to our body.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||whole plant||960 g|
|2.||Vidari||Pueraria tuberosa||Tuber||240 g|
|3.||Shatavari||Asparagus racemosus||Root||240 g|
|4.||Haritaki||Terminalia chebula||Fruit rind||240 g|
|5.||Saunf||Foeniculum vulgare||Fruit||240 g|
|6.||Usheera||Vetiveria zizanioides||Root||240 g|
|7.||Shunti (Ginger)||Zingiber officinalis||Fruit||240 g|
|8.||Water for Kashaya (decoction)||12.288 liters, Boiled and reduced to - 3.072 liters|
|Prakshepa dravyas (Herbal additives for aroma and for accelerating process of fermentation)|
|11.||Renuka||Vitex Negundo||Seed||12 g|
|12.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||Flower||240 g|
|13.||Vacha||Acorus calamus||Rhizome||12 g|
|14.||Kushta||Saussurea lappa||Root||12 g|
|15.||Pippali||Piper longum||Fruit||12 g|
|16.||Trivrit||Operculina turpethum||Root||12 g|
|17.||Vibhitaki||Terminalia bellerica||Fruit rind||12 g|
|18.||Giloya||Tinospora cordifolia||Stem||12 g|
|19.||Clove||Syzigium aromaticum||Flower bud||12 g|
|20.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||Root||12 g|
|21.||Cardamom||Elettaria cardamomum||12 g|
|22.||Vidanga||Embelia ribes||Fruit||12 g|
|23.||Cinnamon||Cinnamomum verum||12 g|
|24.||Gold leaf||12 g|
Method of manufacturing
Coarse powder of the 1st set of herbs is made and added with water.
- Saraswatarishta is boiled and reduced to a quarter part for preparing the decoction of herbs (Kashaya).
- It is filtered and added with the rest of the ingredients in a golden vessel or mud vessel. Then it is added with a thin gold leaf of 12 grams.
- All the ingredients are kept sealed for a month time.
- After completion of fermentation (Asuta Prakriya) and confirming that the gold leaf has disintegrated in the liquid.
- Then all the ingredients are filtered and stored in a vessel smeared with ghee.
- Adults: 12 - 24 ml. once or twice daily, after food. If required, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water. It is suggested to drink a cup of milk after taking this medicine.
- Kids: In lower dose it is safe to use this medicine, in children above age of 5 years old.
- Pregnancy and lactation: During pregnancy, use of this medicine should be avoided. It can be taken during lactation period, under medical supervision, for a short period of time.
- It enhances intelligence.
- Promotes the brain sharpness.
- It improves total mental ability.
- Useful to treat the mental diseases.
- Improves immunity.
- Used in the treatment of epilepsy.
- Beneficial in the problems like stammering and hoarseness of voice.
- Useful to cure the digestive and bowel problems.
- Effective in the sexual debility.
- Improves quality of semen and sperms.
- Beneficial in menstrual disorders.
- Useful in infertility of both in males and females.
In prescribed dosage, this medicine has no side effects.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile