Sarpagandha Ghan Vati
Reference: Siddha Yoga Sangraha (Bhrama, Anidra, Unmada Adhikara)
Sarpagandha Ghan Vati is a classical polyherbal medicine. It is used in the treatment of high blood pressure, lack of sleep, increased pulse, insomnia etc. It should only be used under strict medical supervision. It balances Vata and Pitta.
- Sarpagandha – Rauvolfia serpentine – 10 g
- Khurasani ajwain – Trachyspermum ammi – 2 g
- Jatamansi – Nardostachys jatamansi – 1 g
- Bhanga – Cannabis sativa – 1 g
- Water for decoction – 8 parts, boiled and reduced to 1/8 part, filtered.
Method of Preparation
It is further added with fine powder of 1 g of Pippali moola – Long pepper root – Piper longum. Finally tablets are prepared.
Sarpagandha ghan vati is an Ayurvedic medicine available in the tablet form. Herbs used in the formulation of this medicine comprise the calmative, diuretic, hypertensive etc. properties. This herbal medicine helps to pacify the nervous system hence it is good for insomnia. Being hypertensive in action, use of this medicine is quite good to maintain the normal blood pressure. In the problem of hypertension it regulates the blood pressure by maintaining the balance of myocardial oxygen. Sarpagandha ghan vati helps to flush out the toxins from body. It also helps in blood purification and maintains the proper blood supply throughout the body. Besides of this, it is good medicine for various neurological problems like anxiety, stress etc. Use of this medicine is quite effective in psychological disorders like uncontrollable emotion or excitement in hysteria.
- Insomnia (Sleeplessness)
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Take 1 tablet (375 mg) at night, before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- This medicine should only be taken under strictly medical supervision.
- Avoid this medicine in children, pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Take this medicine only in prescribed dosage for particular time period only.
- Avoid the over-dosage with this medicine because it may cause excessive sleep and low blood pressure (Hypotension).
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.