WHAT IS SCIATICA?
It is not a disease, it is degenerative syndrome of leg pain, and it is very painful condition in which pain starts from lower back to the toe.
WHY IT IS CALLED SCIATICA?
Because in this condition sciatic nerve gets effected and pain occurs in the same nerve.
AYURVEDIC POINT OF VIEW
As per Ayurveda it is known as 'Gridhrasi'. The word Gridhrasi is derived from Gridhra that means the bird 'vulture'. As per Ayurveda it is due to imbalance of vata doshas in body and there are about 80 types of vata imbalance disorders i.e. neurological/neuromuscular disorders. Sciatica is one of them.
CAUSES OF SCIATICA
There are various reasons for sciatica pain and the most common cause of sciatica is bulging or ruptured disc in the spine pressing against nerve roots that results in sciatic nerve.
But in some cases it may be symptom of other problems that affects the spine like bone spurs, narrowing of spinal canal.
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA
It is characterized by various symptoms like:-
- Constant pain only in one side of the buttock or leg
- Severe Pain while sitting
- Burning, tingling, or searing sensation in leg
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg, foot, and/or toes
- A sharp pain that may make it difficult to stand up or walk
- Pain radiates down the leg and possibly into the foot and toes (it rarely occurs only in the foot)
7 NATURAL WAYS TO GET RELIEF FROM SCIATICA
1. HOME REMEDIES
1. HOT OR COLD COMPRESSES
- Use of hot or cold compresses can help relieve sciatica pain and inflammation. Heat treatment relaxes tense muscles that may be compressing the sciatic nerve.
- You can also alternate heat and cold, starting with the hot compress and ending with the cold compress.
- For heat treatment, you can use steamed towel.
- For cold, ice cubes covered with cloth can be used.
- Place a hot or cold pack on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do this every few hours until you get relief.
Note: If you have circulatory problems then avoid the cold compress.
Turmeric is the most common spice used in the kitchen which is packed with various medicinal properties like anti-inflammatory and antioxidants. It contains a compound called curcumin that helps reduce nerve pain and inflammation.
HOW TO USE?
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to 1 cup of milk. You can also add a small cinnamon stick. Boil the solution. Sweeten this healthy drink with honey and drink it once or twice daily until you see improvement.
- Another option is to take 250 to 500 mg Curcumin supplements such as Planet Ayurveda's Curcumin Capsules, 3 times a day for several weeks.
Note: Turmeric may not be suitable for those taking blood thinners or diabetes medications. Those suffering from gallstones should also avoid it.
Massage is one of the beneficial therapy that works on muscles spasm, pain, and numbness of legs and toes.
Massage the affected area with herbal oil, 2 or 3 times a day until you get relief.
Another option is to add 3 tablespoons of nutmeg powder to 1 cup of sesame oil. Heat the mixture. Allow it to cool and massage the affected area with it when it is comfortably warm. Do this a few times a day for a few weeks.
4. EPSOM SALT BATH
Epsom salts are known to relax the nervous system and draw toxins out of your body, and can be found in any local drug store. Fill the bath with hot water and add 2 cups of Epsom salt. Soak your leg or foot / affected area for about 15-20 minutes. The heat will also increase circulation and reduce inflammation.
Turmeric has chemical constituent which is packed with anti-inflammatory properties and can help relieve sciatica pain and swelling by lowering levels of certain inflammation-fueling enzymes. It can be taken in the form of tea, in cooking, or even apply it topically in a paste for the best benefits.
Like turmeric, garlic also has amazing anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great sciatica pain treatment. Increase your use of garlic in all your dishes, but also consider taking it with pure extract as a supplement like Garlic capsules (Planet Ayurveda). Consume daily at least four raw cloves each morning. It helps to fight pain and also to boost your immune system.
3. VALERIAN ROOT
Valerian root works as a relaxant and relieves chronic nerve pain. It is particularly good for easing sciatica pain caused by a muscle spasm. This herb contains volatile oils that help relax your muscles and ease tension.
HOW TO USE?
You can drink valerian tea prepared by steeping 1 teaspoon of dried Valerian root in 1 cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Drink this herbal tea several times a week for a few weeks.
There are certain foods that can help alleviate the pain and improve the structure and functions of the nerves.
Foods you should include in Your Diet are:-
- Fiber Rich foods, such as whole wheat bread, brown rice, split peas, lentils, black beans, lima beans, Artichokes, broccoli, White gourd, pomegranate, apples, blackberries, figs, dates, etc.
- Magnesium Rich Foods such as dairy products, fish, meat, seafood, apples, apricots, brown rice, and Lima beans.
- Foods Rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids such as salmon, sardines, herrings, mackerel, tuna, black cod, trout, halibut, flaxseeds and walnuts.
- Vitamins A Rich Foods such as dairy products – milk, cheese and yogurt, carrots, dark green leafy vegetables, orange-colored fruits.
- Vitamin C Rich Foods that include oranges, grapefruits, pineapples, tomatoes, spinach, mustard greens, strawberries, cherries, cantaloupe regular and sweet potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, and green and yellow vegetables.
- Vitamin K Sources such as broccoli and spinach, alfalfa, vegetable oils and cereals.
- Vitamin B6 Rich Foods such as bananas, garbanzo beans, peanut butter, tomato juice, spinach, soybeans, sunflower seeds, walnuts, poultry and wheat bran.
- Vitamin B9 Rich Foods such as asparagus, beans, peas, lima bean, whole grains, mushrooms, liver, broccoli, orange juice, avocados and turnip greens.
- Vitamin B12 Rich Foods such as oysters, crab, tuna, salmon, beef, lobster, lamb, liver, Swiss cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and liver.
- Potassium Rich Foods such as white beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes, apricots, avocadoes, mushrooms, fish (salmon) and Banana.
4. YOGA POSES
If you've had the pleasure of taking a yoga class, you know how beneficial it can be for relieving almost any kind of pain.
1. The Standing Back Twist
Place your foot on a chair and put the outside of your opposite hand on your raised knee (left hand to the right knee or right hand to left knee). Keep your other hand on your hip. Turning your upper body while keeping your hips facing forward hold the position for thirty seconds, then switch. Repeat this process for several times.
2. The Knee Raise
Lie on your back and draw one knee to the chest while keeping the other leg straight and resting on the floor. Press it against your chest, pushing it as far down as you can, and hold the position for 30 seconds. Repeat the procedure on alternate side.
3. The Two Knee Twist
Lie on your back. Splay your arms to form a capital "T." Keeping your shoulders on the floor, turn your knees out to one side. Keep your shoulders on the floor. Hold the position for a minute, then alternate sides.
4. The Single Knee Twist
Lie on your back. Keeping one leg straight, twist one knee to a 90° angle, keep the opposite hand on that knee. Turn to face the arm still on the floor. Keep both shoulders against the floor.
5. The Twisted Lunge
This is a trickier pose but really opens your hips. Step one leg forward, bend at the knee. The other leg should stay out behind you. Try to keep your feet one leg's length apart. Turning your back, place your opposite elbow on the outside your bent knee. Bring your palms together. Hold for thirty seconds.
1. Ardha Bhujangasana
Ardha Bhujangasana is best exercise which helps in lumbar disc prolapse and lower back pain.
2. Low back muscles strengthening exercise:
Upper back extension. In this pose, hands clasped behind the lower back, raise the head and chest slightly against gravity while looking at the floor (stay low). Begin by holding position for 5 seconds, and gradually work up to 20 seconds. Repeat the whole procedure for 8-10 times.
3. Abdominal muscles strengthening exercise:
Curl-ups. For the upper abdominals, the patient should lie on the back with knees bent, arms folded across the chest, and the pelvis tilted to flatten the back. Then curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the floor. Hold for two to four seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. Increase the number of sets slowly. Do not attempt to lift the head up too high, and bring the head and chest towards the ceiling. For patients with neck pain, place the hands behind the head to support the neck.
- Do Not exercise when there is pain.
- Rest is the only solution.
- Exercise may worsen the condition during the acute phase.
6. PLANET AYURVEDA'S HERBAL REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA (SCIATIC NERVE PAIN)
Planet Ayurveda offers best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Disc Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of sciatica (sciatic nerve pain). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These remedies are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Boswellia Curcumin - 2 capsules twice daily after meal with water.
- Aamvatantak Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with water after meal.
- Yograj Guggul - 2 tablets twice daily after meal with water.
- Hakam Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with water after meal.
1. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
Boswellia- Curcumin capsules are one of the most effective combination of anti-inflammatory herbs i.e. shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and curcumin (Curcuma longa). These are also useful in treatment of various problems like sciatica pain. It can be used for longer time without any side effect.
2. YOGRAJ GUGGUL
These tablets are prepared from different natural ingredients which are- Shudh Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Ela (Eletteria cardamomum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Ardraka (Zingiber officinale). This is very useful herbal remedy to manage painful conditions. In general it helps to support the health of all over body organs.
3. HAKAM CHURNA
It is a classical ayurvedic formulation consists of Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigellia sativa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi). Its anti-inflammatory property helpful in all painful conditions like sciatica pain.
4. AAMVATANTAK CHURNA
It is 100% natural product that consists of different herbs are- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Suranjaan (Colchicum automnale), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Sonth (Zingiber officinale). This is a mixture of different herbs which is best indicated in all types of painful conditions. It helps to digest ama – toxic matter which is responsible for all diseases as per Ayurveda.
Where to buy Disc Care Pack?
To buy Disc Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/disc-care-pack.html.
7. TIPS FOR SCIATICA PATIENTS
- Do some light sciatica exercise such as light walking and jogging. Do not exercise if your condition is extremely painful.
- Avoid Sitting for Long Periods, Get Moving- Sitting for many hours, such as working at a desk or watching TV during leisure time, can make matters worse when it comes to bulging discs and back pain.
- Take care of diet as mentioned. Avoid curd, chick peas, and kidney beans and rice mainly.
- Drink ample of water.
- Keep yourself busy, read good books, do some activities like painting so that mind gets diverted from pain and discomfort.