Vasa Swarasa - Ingredients, Indications, Benefits and Uses
Vasa, is a potent nootropic herb. Its root is used in ayurvedic medicine for improving memory, cognition, intelligence, voice, mental abilities and pains of neurological origin.
- Name of Ingredients: Vasa
- Botanical name: Acorus calamus
- Family: Araceae
- Sanskrit names: Ugra gandha, Golomi, Jatila, Shatagrantha.
Categorization - According to Samhita
- Acharya Charaka: Lekhaniya gana, Arshoghna gana, Truptighna gana, Asthapanopaga gana, Shirovirechana gana, Sangyasthapana gana, Sheethaprashamana gana.
- Acharya Sushrutha: Pippalyadi gana, Vachadi gana, Mustadi gana.
- Acharya Vaghbhata: Mustadi gana, Vacadi gana, Vatsadi gana, Haridradi gana, Chardana gana, Niruhadi gana.
Acolamone, Acorenone, Calamenone, Calamenene, Calarene, Acoric acid, Eugenol.
- Rasa: Katu, Tiktha,
- Guna: Laghu, Tikshna
- Veerya: Ushna
- Vipaka: Katu
- Prabhava: Medhya
Method of Preparation
Extract the juice from above mentioned ingredient by pounding followed by squeezing through a clean cloth and utilize it.
Benefits and Uses
- Due to its rasa and guna, it balances Kapha and Vata. Thereby reducing the ill effects of Vata and kapha in the body.
- It is a natural detoxifier; it helps remove harmful endotoxins and free-radicals from the body, thus protecting the body against many infections.
- Due to its prabhva, it acts as Medhya where it helps to improve intellect and quality of consciousness.
- It is used as one of the best tonics for nervous system as it effectively promotes intellect, memory and aiding in other nervous system related issues by its prabhava and vatahara karma.
- It is used in the treatment of Unmada (Schizophrenia) and Apasmara (Convulsive disorders).
- It has highly useful in many neuralgic conditions like Paralysis, Neuralgia which are caused due to imbalance of vatha dosha.
- It is used in Rakshoghna karma (beneficial in treating Psychological imbalances).
- It helps in improving the quality of speech when taken along with honey, it is called as Vakprada.
- Vacha swarasa can be used in treating many digestive disorders.
- It is considered Deepana (which increases appetite and digestion), Pachana (Digestive), Vibandhahara (relieves constipation), Adhmana (relieves bloating or gaseous distension of abdomen), Vatanulomana.
- Vacha swarasa taken along with lukewarm water helps relieve abdominal colic
- Vacha is a very potent expectorant which helps to clear the congestion in respiratory tract thereby benefitting patients of Asthma, Cough and Bronchitis.
- Vacha swarasa mixed with honey can be taken for hoarseness of voice, where it increases clarity of voice and considered kanthya (useful in throat disorders) by virtue of its Ushna guna and Katu rasa.
- As Vacha swarasa is mainly concerned with Vatha dosha, it is very beneficial in Vatajwara (Fever with body aches) due to its Ushna guna, Tikta rasa.
Reference:- Sahasrayogam // Svarasa Yoga Prakaranam (Chapter No. 1) // Vasa Swarasa
Dose: 10-20 ml
Kustha Churna and Madhu
Unmada (Schizophrenia and related disorders), Speech disorders, Neuralgic conditions, Cough, Digestive disorders, ENT disorders and Psychological imbalance.
- It is not advised to use this in pregnancy as it induces uterine contractions.
- It is better to avoid during lactation.
- Pitta prakriti persons may not tolerate this herb because of its hot potency. They can use it by mixing it along with Saunf and lemon juice to counter its effect.