Vat Gajankush Ras - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali – Vatavyadhi Adhikara – 488 – 492
Vat Gajankush Ras is an Ayurvedic medicine in tablet form. It is used in the treatment of neuro-muscular diseases. This medicine contains heavy metal ingredients, hence should only be taken under strict medical supervision.
10 g fine powder of each of:-
- Shuddha parad – Purified and processed Mercury
- Loha Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Iron
- Makshika Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Copper and Iron Pyrite
- Shuddha Gandhaka – Purified and processed Sulphur
- Shuddha Haratala – Purified Orpiment (Arsenic tri sulphide)
- Chebulic Myrobalan (fruit rind) – Terminalia chebula
- Shrungi – Colocynth (dried pulp) – Citrulus colocynthis
- Visha – Aconitum ferox
- Black pepper – Piper nigrum
- Long pepper – Piper longum
- Ginger (rhizome) – Zingiber officinalis
- Agnimantha – Premna corymbosa / mucronata Root
- Tankana Bhasma – Borax
- Juice extract of Mundi – Sphaeranthus indicus – quantity sufficient for grinding for one day
- Juice extract of Nirgundi – Vitex negundo – quantity sufficient for grinding for one day.
Vat Gajankush Ras possesses medicinal properties which make it efficient to fight against diseases related to Vata doshas, manages the neuromuscular disorders, muscular pains, joint pains, rheumatic pains etc.
It is an effective Ayurvedic remedy for neuro-muscular diseases, where it benefits by reducing body pains, stiffness and nerve pains all around the body. All its properties enhance its ability to manage the conditions such as sciatica- back pain that radiated to legs is reduced. Paralysis, Brachialgia- lessen pain in the arms. It is suitable to use in spondylitis, provide relief from pain, inflammation of muscles and ligaments and improves the flexibility of neck bone and joints. It also lessen the stiffness and cramps developed in the thigh muscles.
It is even a beneficial remedy in arthritis problems as it reduces the swelling and pain as well lessen the joint stiffness, thereby improves the health of the person.
It is useful in Torticollis condition, where it can manage the symptoms, reduce the stiffness in the neck and helps in the proper movement.
- Thigh muscle stiffness
Take 125 – 250 mg once or twice a day, before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor. It is advised along with long pepper, honey or decoction of Manjishta.
- This medicine should be strictly taken only under medical supervision.
- Self-medication with this medicine may prove to be dangerous, since it contains heavy metal ingredient.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- Over-dosage may result in the poisonous effect.
- This medicine should be avoided in pregnancy, lactation and in children.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.