What are the Health Benefits of Orris Root (Iris germanica)?
What is Orris Root?
Orris Root is the botanical plant which possesses many health benefits especially its roots contain some potent active compounds which are helpful for the treatment of various skin ailments. The herb has been used in Ayurveda from centuries for the preparation of various herbal medicines. Being a plant its roots acts as a blood purifier and enhance the functioning of the excretory system and digestive tract. Orris oil helps to cure problems like a headache, toothache, muscles pain, and act as gland stimulator. The plant also helps to increase the function of the kidneys, stimulate appetite, increasing the bile flow, treat bronchitis, swelling of the spleen, cold, cancer, and the roots of the plant are applied directly to the affected area for the nasal polyps, tumors, scars, muscles and joints pain.
Iris germanica is a perennial plant, grows up to the height of 120 cm height and 30cm wide. It's a hybrid plant rather than wild species. It's a rhizomatous plant and roots can go up to 10cm deep. The color of iris flower is either white with violet and a yellow beard, or pure white flower. The most effective and valued component of the orris root is oil. The oil of iris roots contains myristic acid. The herb contains sweet smell and also called as Iris Pallida. The plant contains broad leaves. Due to its sweet, pleasant smell, the herb also used in perfumes and scents. So it is a highly valued plant in the perfume industry. The plant also helpful in removing body odor and antiseptic property of herb works to treat a wide range of skin problems.
The scientific analysis of orris essential oil has shown the presence of 23 compounds. The major compounds are myristic acid, lauric acid, (capric acid), palmitic acid methyl ester, octadecanoic acid methyl ester, decanoic acid, elaidic acid methyl ester (9-octadecenoic acid methyl ester (e)-) and palmitic acid. The isolated compounds from roots of iris have been shown pesticide, antineoplastic, and anti-tuberculosis properties. The roots also contain triterpenes, isoflavonoids, flavonoids, xanthone, and starch. Rhizome contains antimicrobial, antifungal, antioxidant properties.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Liliopsida
- Subclass: Liliidae
- Order: Liliales
- Family: Iridaceae
- Genus: Iris L.
- Species: Iris germanica
Health Benefits of Orris Root
- The herb is very effective during skin problems and known to possess antibacterial, antimicrobial and germicidal properties. Due to these properties, the herb helps to treat numerous skin problems and make your skin fresh, glowing, spotless and smooth. The orris roots help to drain out the skin impurities and gives you smoother skin. A person who is suffering from hyperpigmentation and any other type of skin discoloration then the orris essential oil act as a great agent for discoloration and can provides you even skin tone. The oil is also used on the dark spots of your knees and elbows.
- The iris germanica has been also used to maintain the health of the nervous system and also improves the transmission of electrical pulse in the body. The roots powder of iris germanica herb maintain the proper functioning of the nervous system and enhance the thinking power and reasoning ability of the person.
- Iris germanica is also very effective for improving the health of the hair, and treat various hair related problems such as hair fall, dandruff, and hair breakage. You use this herb as oil and shampoo to enhance the volume and texture of hairs. The essential oil of iris roots is important to maintain and healthy and clean scalp.
- The herb is also very effective in oral problems such as a toothache. It contains antiseptic properties that help to treat burns, ulcer and scars cuts. The anti-inflammatory action of orris roots helps to reduce the swelling and pain in tooth gums. You can gently massage your gums with iris essential oil. This will work in soothing the pain.
- The herb also alleviates the lungs problem and provide relief from various respiratory ailments such as a dry cough, sore throat, lung infection, and bronchitis. The anti-inflammatory properties of orris roots help to reduce the inflammation and swelling in the bronchial area.
- The roots of the plant contain purgative properties, which shows that the herb is useful for the treatment of constipation. Along with the constipation problem, it also provides relief from other digestion related issues such as bloating, gas, burning sensation, and acidity. It increases your appetite and maintains the gastrointestinal disturbance. It also provides relief from diarrhea.
- The plant contains several chemical compounds which improve the discharge function of the liver and by doing so it improves and maintains the liver functioning.
- The power of orris roots also helps to reduce the puffiness in the throat and treat the breathing problem in people.
- The anti-inflammatory property of the herb helps to reduce the inflammation in the joints and reduce the pain. The anti-inflammatory flavonoids play important role in joint pain.
- The herb also acts as a diuretic agent which helps to flush out the toxic waste products from the body. Herb does this by enhancing the urinary rate.
All the iris roots are used in both dried and liquid form as an essential oil. Which shows many health benefits which we have already mentioned in the articles. The Ayurveda has been used this herb for various health-related issues. Sedative action of herb treats nerve, heart, and stomach related issues. The herb should be consumed in an appropriate amount and excess consumption of root powder may cause vomiting and diarrhea-related issues.