What are the Health Benefits and Uses of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)?
What is Dhataki?
The Latin name of Dhataki is Woodfordia fruticosa. It is a bushy shrub that grows up to 7 m in height. Dhataki is a wonderful medicinal herb. The bark of this herb shows cooling, acrid, pungent and uterine sedative effect. Dhataki flowers are used to relieve the burning sensation of the skin, boosts up immunity, and reduces menstrual pain.
A decoction of the flowers is used in anal prolapse and vaginal prolapse. The flower and root of this plant is used to treat foot disease, rib fracture, rheumatism and mouth diseases. Dhataki is used in the preparation of Asava and Arishta from ancient time. The distribution of Woodfordia fruticosa is found in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Myanmar, Bhutan, Indonesia, China, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Nepal, and Pakistan.
Classification of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Family: Lythraceae
- Order: Myrtales
- Clade: Angiosperm
- Genus: Woodfordia
- Species: W. fruticosa
What are the other names of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)?
The other names of this herb are mentioned below:
- Hindi name: Dhaay ke phool, Dhaaya
- Punjabi name: Dhavi
- Telgu name: Sireenji, Are Puvvu
- English name: Fire Flame Bush
- Gujarati name: Dhaavadi
- Tamil name: Dhatari Jargi
- Marathi name: Dhalas,dowari
- Bengali name: Dhai
- Farsi name: Dhaava
What are the Medicinal Properties of Woodfordia Fruticosa?
The medicinal properties are mentioned below:
- Rasa (Taste): Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Qualities): Laghu (Light to digest), Rooksha (Dry)
- Veerya (Potency): Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (Taste conversion after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Effects on Tridosha: It balances Kapha and Pitta
- Main actions of Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa): The herb is astringent, anthelminthic, antibacterial and alexeteric in nature.
What are the uses of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)?
Various uses of this herb are mentioned below:
- Atisara: Very effective herb in dysentery and diarrhoea.
- Pittasra: The herb is used in bleeding disorders.
- Krimi: It is helpful in infections and worm infestation.
- Trushna: Due to its coolant property it is beneficial in excessive thirst.
- Visarpa: The herb gives effective results in skin disease, herpes etc.
- Visha: It is helpful in toxic conditions.
Which parts of Dhataki is used for various Diseases?
- Juice of Dhataki flower is useful in a migraine and headache.
- The fresh flower is beneficial in diarrhea, dysentery, and leucorrhoea.
- Dried flowers of Dhataki is used for cuts, wounds, ulcers, and skin disorders.
- The flowers of Dhataki is used in heart-related problems and build up immunity.
- Dhataki gives effective results in diabetic patients. It helps to reduce mouth and thirst related disorders.
What are the Indications of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)?
- Skin disorders
- Liver disorders
- Dental problems
- Menstrual disorders
What are the Dosage of Dhataki (Woodfordia Fruticosa)?
- Powder: 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Liquid form: 10-20ml twice daily by mixing it with equal amount of water.