Reference: Rasa Tarangini 10/39-42
Abhrak bhasma is very fine powder formulation used in Ayurveda. Bhasma are also called ashes or calcined preparations. Abhrak bhasma used in Ayurveda for respiratory, liver and abdominal diseases, mental and psychomotor disorders. It has ability to pacifying the all three doshas in body. It provides adequate energy to the body and also has a calming effect on the body. This bhasma is prepared through calcination process.
It contains different chemical constituents like Magnesium, Iron, Potassium, Calcium and Aluminum.
The main ingredient is purified mica (Biotite) or Shuddha Abhraka- 100g
Plant juices, liquid extracts and decoctions are used in the preparation of Abhrak bhasma.
Method of Preparation
It is prepared through a calcination process. Calcination process is known as PUTA in Ayurveda. Number of PUTA decides the quality of Abhrak Bhasma.
In this process purified abhraka or Mica is triturated with different herbal decoctions, juice extracts and then made into disc shape cake and subjected to high temperature (800-900°C) and repeat this process for several times (100 times) and then dry in sunlight. End product will be very fine powder which is known as Shataputi Abhrak Bhasma.
- For children below one year: 30 mg two times a day.
- For children below ten years: 125mg twice a day.
- For adults: 125 to 375 milligram once or twice in a day or after food
Note - Remember to consult an Ayurvedic doctor and take it after his/her consultation only.
It is traditionally administered along with honey, ghee, Triphala Kashaya, Fresh ginger juice extract, Guduchi (Indian Tinospora) decoction, etc.
- It is widely used in treatment of diseases like Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, Asthma, Plague and other respiratory infections.
- It acts as excellent cellular regenerator and nervine tonic.
- It is used in various nervous system diseases like chronic headache, migraine, dementia, memory loss, Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, vertigo, anxiety, insomnia, mental stress.
- It is also beneficial in cardiac disorders like angina, myocardial ischemia, palpitation, heart weakness, Atherosclerosis and cardiomegaly (abnormal enlargement of heart).
- It is used in the treatment of digestive impairment and malabsorption syndrome.
- It also helps in treatment of diseases like cough, cold, urinary disorders, diabetes and various types of Skin conditions.
- It is also helpful in curing both male and female sexual disorders such as male and female infertility, erectile dysfunction, impotence, oligospermia, postpartum depression and menopause.
- It is strictly advised to take under medical supervision.
- Its higher dosage can cause severe side effects.
- Use of Abhrak bhasma is avoided in the case of acute bleeding disorders and ulcerative conditions.
- Use carefully during pregnancy, lactation and in children.