Vyaghri Haritaki Avaleha
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Kasa Rogadhikara 43 – 46
Vyaghri Haritaki Avaleha is an Ayurvedic medicine available in herbal jam form. It is mainly used in the treatment of cough, cold, asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis etc. It balances Vata and Pitta in the body.
- Kantakari – Yellow berried nightshade (whole plant) – Solanum xanthcarpum - 4.8 kg
Water for decoction – 12.288 liters, boiled and reduced to 3.072 liters, filtered.
- Haritaki – Chebulic Myrobalan fruit rind – Terminalia chebula – 1.2 kg
- Guda – Jaggery – Saccharum officinarum
- Shunti – Ginger Rhizome – Zingiber officinalis – 96 g
- Maricha – Black pepper – Piper nigrum – 96 g
- Pippali – Long pepper fruit – Piper longum – 96 g
- Twak – Cinnamon – Cinnamomum zeylanicum – 48 g
- Patra – Cinnamomum tamala – 48 g
- Ela – Cardamom – Elettaria cardamomum – 48 g
- Nagakeshara – Mesua ferrea – 48 g
- Madhu – 288 g
Method of Preparation
Haritaki free from seed is taken in powder form and is steamed in purification device (Dola Yantra). It is added with kantakari decoction and jaggery, heated to semisolid consistency. On cooling, rest of the ingredients are added and mixed well.
It is an Ayurvedic medicine which is available in the form of herbal jam. It is very effective for the management of respiratory problems such as cough, cold, asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis etc. The herbs used in the preparation of this jam have ability to balance vata, and pitta doshas and problems related to them. It helps in the management of all three types of cough (vataj, pittaj and kaphaj). It also has antibacterial action and is useful in many respiratory ailments like Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma, Cough, and Tuberculosis. It has proven to be very effective in throat related problems like Aphasia, Hoarseness of voice, and Loss of voice. Use of this medicine is also very useful in constipation. It helps to improve the digestion and aids in enhancing appetite also.
- Hoarseness of voice
- Loss of voice
- Take 5 – 10 g once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Dosage for children below 5 years of age : 1 – 2 grams, once or twice a day, along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
- Dosage for children between 5 – 12 years of age : – 5 grams once or twice a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
- Over-dosage with this medicine may result in the gastritis.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as advised by doctor.
- For diabetic patients this medicine should be taken only under medical supervision.
- Pregnant ladies, lactating mothers and children should take this medicine strictly under medical supervision.
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
- Store in a dry cool place.