Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali Aamvaatrogadhikar 605/121-124
Ajmodadi vatak is a classical formulation made from multiple herbs. The constituent herbs of this formulation are having analgesic, anti-inflammatory, digestive stimulant etc. properties.
- Ajmodadi Churna - 46 gms
- Pippali Churna - 46 gms
- Maricha Churna - 46 gms
- Vidanga Churna - 46 gms
- Devdaru Churna - 46 gms
- Chitrakmool Churna - 46 gms
- Sounf Churna - 46 gms
- Saindhav Churna - 46 gms
- Haritaki Churna - 230 gm
- Vidharamool Churna - 460gm
- Shunthi Churna - 460 gm
- Jaggery - 1570 gm
Description of Main Ingredients
- Ajmodadi Churna (Powder of Apium graveolens) - Ajmoda helps in relieving the painful conditions of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis along with non specific arthritis. It also helps in treating the chronic pain due to gastritis, treating the condition of cough, asthma and bronchitis.
- Maricha Churna (Powder of Piper nigrum) - Maricha is frequently used in the treatment of hoarseness of voice, cough, cold, and various digestion related disorders. It is also having some blood purifying activities on regular use.
- Piper Churna (Powder of Piper longum) - This is the best herbal treatment for the kapaha related disorders which constitutes the respiratory tract ailments including COPD, cough, cold and congestion by removing phlegm deposits. It is also one of the best appetizer and digestive stimulants.
Method of Preparation
Mix all the powdered ingredients in the equal amount of hot jaggery and make a thick paste, then make the appropriate tablets from the mixture and after drying preserve the tablets in a glass tumbler.
Acharya had given the description of this formulation by saying that as all the darkness vanishes after sunrise likewise this Ajmodadi vatak treats the various diseases that are indicated. Most of the ingredients are having hot potency, and are very much beneficial in vata and kapha related conditions. Moreover the ingredients are the part of deepniya and shoolhar mahaakshay mentioned by Acharya Charka, hence this combination in whole is useful in relieving various chronic painful conditions and also anti inflammatory and digestive stimulants.
- Vata roga (Neurological and movement related disorders)
- Kushtroga (Skin disorders)
- Visuchika (Cholera)
- Hridroga (Heart disorders)
- Ugra gridhransi (Chronic and severe sciatica)
- Katipeeda (Backache)
- Gudpeeda (Pain in rectum)
- Vastisfutna (Pain in bladder)
- Asthipeeda (Pain in bones)
- Jangha-peeda (Pain in legs)
- Shotha (Inflammatory conditions)
- Sandhishotha (Inflammation in joints)
- Amavaat (Rheumatoid arthritis)
2 tablets twice daily with warm water, (10 gram maximum).
To be avoided in bhasmak roga (excessive hunger) and heartburn conditions.