Best Foods For Healthy Lungs
Lungs are two spongy organs present on either side of the chest and it is one of the essential parts of the body. Lungs have hundreds and thousands of branching tubes that end in alveoli also known as tiny air sacs. We have almost three hundred million alveoli present in the lungs which are almost equal to the surface area of the tennis court and helps in keeping the respiratory demand regular. The membrane covering the alveoli is almost thinner than tissue paper. Both of our lungs play a major role in the immune system for example infection or pollutants get trapped by mucus present in the lungs, this then shifts it upward towards the tiny cilia which then results in coughing.
As lung being the most important part of our life it's our job to take care of them. The lungs work day and night pulling in oxygen and dumping out the carbon dioxide. Breathing is also very important as it plays a major role in talking and singing. To keep your body healthy your lungs must be in good condition. There are some particular foods and herbs that can help you in improving the condition of the lungs by removing toxins from them.
Importance of Nutritional Rich Food For Lungs
Whatever we eat does not directly go to the lung but the food touches it directly. It is nothing to hide that a well-balanced diet is a direct way to keep the body and mind strong. Eating nutrition-rich food will contribute to enhancing breathing power and reducing the symptoms of Asthma. Nutrients like fat, carbohydrate, and proteins metabolize differently and produce carbon dioxide in different amounts. It is beneficial to eat low levels of carbohydrates with patients who have COPD and healthy fats will help them to breathe properly. It is also important to note that a diet with high saturated fat can also increase the risk of developing lung cancer. Eating healthy fruits will decrease the risk of any kind of lung disease. Foods play a major role in keeping the lungs healthy.
Here Are Some Foods That Are Best For Lungs
- Water:- As we always say that water is one of the most essential parts of life and it plays a major in cleansing the lungs. Drinking water will contribute in keeping the blood flow going from the lungs. Also keeps the lungs hydrated and moves the mucus. Mucus is one of the important parts of the lungs which helps in removing the microbes and pollutants from the system. Lungs have almost 83% of the water in it and not drinking water can lead to dehydration leading to lung disorders.
- Pomegranate:- This fruit has been used for centuries and is also used for medicinal purposes. It contains anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-cancerous properties which are effective in making the lungs healthy. Pomegranate contains ellagic acid which helps in reducing the risk of any kind of lung cancer.
- Apples:- It is full of nutrition’s like Vitamin C, E along with flavonoids and antioxidant helps in enhancing the functioning of lungs. It is very beneficial for people who used to smoke and helps in giving strength to the lungs. Apple also helps in decreasing the risk of developing diseases like COPD, Asthma, and also Lung cancer.
- Grapefruit:- It is low in calories and high in Vitamin A as well as Vitamin C. It also contains flavonoid which helps in inhibiting the activation of an enzyme that causes cancer. It is very beneficial in cleansing the lungs especially recommended to people after they have quit smoking. 92 percent of the fruit contains water which also helps in hydrating the lungs and making the body more healthy.
- Carrots: - It is rich in nutrients like Vitamin A, C along with lycopene as well as antioxidant helps in affecting the lungs positively. Carrot reduces the chances of developing any kind of lung-related disorders. Drinking carrot juice daily will help to eliminate toxins from the body and prevents lung damage which is very commonly seen in chain smokers.
- Nuts And Seeds:- They both contain a good amount of minerals that help in enhancing the functioning of the lungs. They are rich in fatty acid which is good for the cardiovascular system especially flax seed which is full of Vitamin E helping the immunity to get stronger. Try adding walnuts in your diet, due to its anti-inflammatory property it is very helpful in Asthma.
- Oranges:- Citrus food, in general, contains Vitamin C and it helps in increasing the transfer of oxygen in the lungs. Oranges contain a high level of antioxidant which helps in fighting inflammation and also infection. It helps in giving strength to the walls of the capillary and reduces asthma increased by exercise. Also very effective in symptoms like coughing and wheezing.
- Ginger:- It is one of the most beneficial spices which is used in every household and has many medicinal properties. It helps in eliminating harmful pollutants from the lungs and cleansing it. It is not only beneficial for the lungs but is also very good for the rest of the body. It is very helpful in removing congestion and clogs present in the air passage. It helps in boosting the health of the lungs and improving the health of the lungs.
- Yogurt:- It is rich in potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and selenium which helps in making the immunity strong and giving strength to the lungs. It is found that increased intake of this nutrient help in reducing the risk of developing Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disorder.
- Coffee:- It is useful in boosting the energy levels and also protects your lungs. Coffee in general is full of caffeine and has antioxidants. Caffeine is responsible for acting on vasodilators which helps in opening the blood vessels and reducing symptoms of Asthma. Overall it helps in improving the health of the lungs by protecting them.
- Barley:- It is a nutritional grain that is high in fiber. It is rich in Vitamin E and Flavonoids which are very useful in promoting the health of the lungs and protecting the cells from any kind of damage. Consumption of barley reduces the risk of developing any kind of lung disorders.
- Cruciferous Vegetables:- It includes cabbage, broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. They have high levels of chlorophyll which is useful in cleansing the system and is also rich in antioxidants. Eating green leafy vegetables will help in preventing yourself from lung cancer.
- Pumpkin:- It is one of the vegetables which is very high in beta carotene and also Vitamin C, fiber, potassium. Due to its high level of anti-oxidant which is useful in fighting cancer especially in the lungs and prostate.
- Red Bell Pepper:- They are rich in carotenoids lutein, Vitamin C, and zeaxanthin. Carotenoids are useful in preventing the body from lung cancer. Red bell pepper is useful in making the lungs strong, healthy, and free from all kinds of disease.
- Cayenne Pepper:- It is one of the rich sources of capsaicin which is useful in stimulating the healthy secretion of lungs and protecting the mucus membrane present in the lungs. Try drinking tea made from cayenne pepper which is very good for people with Asthma.
- Lentils:- It contains nutrients like iron, magnesium, potassium, and copper, combining all of them they prove to be best for the lungs. Daily intake of Lentils will help in making the lungs healthier.
- Tomato:- One of the richest dietary products which contains lycopene and carotenoid antioxidants which has proven to be the most effective food for improving the overall health of lungs. Consuming tomatoes or products made from tomatoes will help in reducing the inflammation present in the airways. It is very beneficial for people who have COPD.
There Are Herbs That Are Also Very Beneficial For The Lungs
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa):- It is also known as turmeric which is used in every household in the preparation of food. It is used in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine due to its healthy properties like anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous. It is very useful in detoxifying the blood and also lungs.
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum):- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Tulsi mainly is very effective in the respiratory system and combined with honey helps in expectoration and reduces symptoms like cough, dyspnoea, and fever. Tulsi helps in cleansing the lungs and is also very good for a child who is suffering from a cold and cough.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri):- Chewing or Drinking Brahmi tea helps in improving the functioning of the pulmonary tract and helps in treating disorders like cold, sinusitis, bronchitis, and congestion.
- Garlic (Allium sativum):- It is very useful in reducing respiratory complaints like cough, tuberculosis, asthma and also helps in killing lung bacterial infections like Mycobacterium tuberculi. It is one of the natural ways to get rid of any kind of lung problem.
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita):- Used in Ayurvedic medicine and has many health benefits particularly in the respiratory tract. It is effective in complaints like whooping cough and helps in soothing the tact.
In order to make your lungs fit and healthy, you need to exercise daily and avoid smoking tobacco. Try to perform breathing exercises daily which will help in keeping the lungs healthy or you can also do yoga which will make your overall health very good.
As we have discussed the lung is one of the most important parts of our respiratory tract. Lungs give us life and it's one of the reasons that we can breathe properly. As mentioned above there are several nutrients that help in making the lungs stronger and including these foods in your diet will help in improving the overall health of your lungs. Breathing is one of the greatest treasures of our life so try to maintain the good health of the lungs.