Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) - Baheda Properties, Benefits, Uses, Dosage)
Description of Plant Bibhitaki
Bibhitaki is a large deciduous tree found throughout India reaches height up to 30 meters. Trunk of the tree is straight with brownish grey color. Leaves are long, alternate, oval and are clustered towards the end of branches. These are 7-14cm in breadth and 10-12cm in length. Simple and solitary flowers are white or yellow in color with offensive odor. Baheda Flowers appear in the month of May. Upper part of plant is male and lower part is female. Baheda Fruits are grey colored drupes, ovoid in shape. Sweet kernels inside the hard covering of fruit are sweet in taste. Its fruit resembles to haritaki fruit but without ridges.
General Description of Bibhitaki
Bibhitaki is also called baheda, herb which makes the fellow fearless and this herb is one of the ingredients among triphala i.e Haritaki, Bibhitaki and Amalaki. This herb is very effective in the nourishment of dhatus of body and in pacification of tridosha. Fruit pulp is very effective in eye nourishment, hair growth and preventing hoarseness of voice. It also has mild sedative action and is also used in insomnia. This herb works wonderfully on all seven dhatus and gives miraculous results. This plant contains various chemical compounds such as sitosterol, egalic acid, galic acid, galloyl glucose, chebugalic acid, protein, oxalic acid, tannins, galactose, glucose, mannitol, fructose, chebulasic acid and ramnose.
Special Note about Bibhitaki
It helps to pacify all three dosha especially used for pacification of kapha dosha. Bibhitaki is very supportive for three essential tissues of body - rasa dhatu (plasma), mamsa dhatu (muscle) and asthi dhatu (bone).
Following terms are used for Bibhitaki:-
- Rasayan - Rejuvenating in nature
- Chakshushya - Herb beneficial for eyes
- Keshya - Very beneficial for hair
- Kanthya - Very effective for throat
Bibhitaki is large deciduous tree native to India and about 100 species are distributed throughout the world. It is found commonly in plains and lower hills of Southeast Asia. In India it is abundantly found in Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Maharashtra.
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Order - Myrtales
- Family - Combretaceae
- Bibhitaki in English - Baheda
- Bibhitaki in Latin - Terminalia bellerica
- Bibhitaki in Hindi - Baheda
- Bibhitaki in Sanskrit - Vibhitak, Akshay, Karshfala, Kalidrum
- Bibhitaki in Bengali - Bayada
- Bibhitaki in Punjabi - Baheda
- Bibhitaki in Telugu - Vadikaya
- Bibhitaki in Dravidi - Tanikooya
- Bibhitaki in Kannada - Tarekapi
- Bibhitaki in Arabic - Balelaj
- Bibhitaki in Persian - Talelah
- Bibhitaki in Farsi - Baleel
Ayurvedic Properties of Bibhitaki
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
|Vipaka||Madhur||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Sweet|
Baheda Effects on Doshas
It balances Pitta and Kapha doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita and Vagbhata|
Ancient Verse about Terminalia bellerica
Aksh, karshfala, kalidrum, bhootvaas and kaliyugalya are various synonyms of this herb. It has astringent taste and after digestion it is sweet in taste, pacifies kapha and pitta dosha and possesses cooling effects and hot potency. Bibhitaki is used in purgation therapy, cough, eye and hair problems, worm infestation and voice hoarseness. Seed kernel is astringent in taste, narcotic, easy to digest and used to cure thirst. It is also used to pacify kapha and vata dosha and to induce purgation therapy.
Practical Uses of Terminalia bellerica
- Terminalia bellerica is an herb of triphala. It is laxative in nature and used in the purgation therapy.
- Fruit is anti-bacterial in nature and used to fight against various infections.
- It is rejuvenating in nature and it is very beneficial for hair growth.
- Bibhitaki is useful in hoarseness of voice, asthma, cough and common cold. It relieves blocked phlegm and bleeding in sputum.
- Seed oil of paste of fruit is applied to swollen parts to get relief from inflammation. It is best used in rheumatism.
- Seed oil of this herb is also beneficial for skin disorders and premature graying of hair. It also boosts up hair growth and helps to impart black color to hair.
- Fruit paste is also applied on eyelids to cure conjunctivitis and it is also beneficial for various eye disorders such as myopia, corneal opacity, and cataract.
- It also helps to cure loss of appetite, thirst, bloating, flatulence, piles and various worm infestations. Decoction of seed kernels is used in vomiting and excessive thirst.
- Ripen fruit of this plant is astringent and is anti-diarrheal in action.
- It is aphrodisiac, prevents ageing and used to enhance immunity to fight against various diseases.
- This herb is also beneficial in blood pressure and helps in lowering cholesterol levels. Bark of this tree is used for chest pain and heart diseases.
- Bibhitaki used for mouthwash and gargles.
- It gives effective result in dysuria.
- The herb is beneficial for lungs and disorders associated with lungs
- It is used to pacify pitta and kapha dosha.
Powder - 3-6gm
- Fruit rind
- Seed kernels
Planet Ayurveda's Products which Contain this Herb as an Ingredient
1. Bibhitaki Powder
Bibhitaki Powder is an effective Ayurvedic formulation in a powder form to relieve respiratory disorders as it balances all the three doshas (vata, pitta, kapha) specially kapha dosha is maintained by this powder. As kapha helps to maintain body health and throat health. This herb keep the system warm and light. The herb is astringent & sweet in nature. Bibhitaki has anti-asthmatic, anti-spasmodic, anti-tussive and expectorant properties in it.
2. Aarogyavardhini vati
Planet Ayurveda is a popular name known very well for its highly authentic supplements which are widely used by people all over the world. Planet Ayurveda's Arogayavardhni vati is based on a classical formulation mentioned in the ancient texts of Ayurveda as previously stated in the article. It is a good herbal product to try out for supporting health and wellbeing. Planet Ayurveda's Arogayavardhni vati is a 100 % natural product. It does not contain any additives, dyes, binders, starch, preservatives, colors, yeast or fillers. Arogayavardhni vati serves as a great natural supplement that contain Bibhitaki. It can be taken as a good dietary supplement to support a healthy living.
3. Navakarshik Churna
Navkarshik Churna is a classical Ayurvedic formulation dating back to 1100 AD. A famous formulation from 'Chakradatt Samhita' particularly recommended in Gouty arthritis. Especially when the uric acid is very high and the toe joint is very much involved. It is also effective in other type of arthritis as it relieves 'Vata' and removes the toxins from within the body. These herbs act together in a synergistic manner and are effective in swollen, painful joints. It contains Triphala (Amalaki, Bibhitaki & Haritaki) which removes toxins from the body and useful in every other disease. Neem, Katuki, Manjistha purifies the blood and corrects the metabolism of 'Pitta' and heat regulation in our body. Giloy is immunomodulator and improves immunity whereas Daruhaldi acts as an anti-inflammatory herb.
What is a Bibhitaki herb?
It is a traditional Indian Ayurvedic medicine. Its fruit is used in the popular Indian herbal remedy triphala. In Sanskrit, it is called vibhītaka विभीतक. Bibhitaki is known as “Vibheetaki” in which ‘bheeta’ means fear and ‘Vibheeta’ means lack of fear. Hence, “Baheda” treats the fear of disease.
What are the medicinal properties of Bibhitaki?
- Rasa (Taste) - Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Qualities) - Rooksha (Dry), Laghu ( Light to digest)
- Vipaka (Taste conversion after digestion) - Madhura (Sweet)
- Veerya (Potency) - Ushna (Hot)
What is the effect of Bibhitaki on Vata-Pitta or Kapha?
Bibhitaki herb balances the vitiated Kapha and Pitta doshas.
What are the indications of Bibhitaki herb?
- Benefits hair and eyes
- Beneficial for breathing and throat issues
- Alleviates edema and swellings
- Asthma, cough, and bronchitis
- Crohn's disease, Diarrhea
- Intestinal inflammation - Parasites
- Bladder stones
- Cloudy urine and Insomnia
- Cardiac congestion
What are the other common names of Bibhitaki herbs?
- English Name - Baheda
- Latin Name - Terminalia bellirica
- Hindi Name - Baheda
- Sanskrit Name - Vibhitak, Akshay
- Bengali Name - Bayada
- Punjabi Name - Baheda
- Telugu Name - Vadikaya
What is the nutritional value Of Bibhitaki?
Bibhitaki is very nutritious for a human being as it contains essential vitamins, minerals, and protein. This herb is a source of Vitamin C and minerals like selenium, manganese, potassium, iron, and copper.
Bibhitaki plants contain chemicals like tannic acid, gallic acid, ellagic acid, and cardiac glycosides.
What are the ayurvedic properties of Bibhitaki?
- Bhedanam - Ease the motion it has laxative action
- Kasanashanam - Relieves cough & cold
- Netrahitam - Good for eyes
- Keshya - Improves hair quality and growth
- Kruminashanana - Relief from worms
- Vaisvaryanashana - Relief from hoarseness of voice
How is Bibhitaki related to triphala? What is the combination of Triphla?
Bibhitaki is one of the three components used in the formulation of Triphla. The other herbs used in the formulation of triphla are - Bibhitaki, Amalaki, and Haritaki.
What are the combinations in which Bibhitaki can be given?
- Bibhitaki mixed with Haritaki and Amla is known as “Triphala” which has a rejuvenating property.
- Bibhitaki mixed with Pippali and Black Pepper makes it beneficial for lungs and high Kapha (water vitiation).
- Bibhitaki mixed with Haritaki and Ginger is helpful to remove extra mucus from lungs.
- A mixture of Gokshura, Coriander, and Manjistha with Bibhitaki is very helpful in problems related to urine discharge like burning sensation during urine pass out.
- Bibhitaki mixed with Brahmi gives a comfortable sleep.
What is the classical categorization of Bibhitaki as per Charaka?
- Jwarahara - The group of herbs that are used in the treatment of fever.
- Kasahara - The group of herbs that are used in the treatment of cough & cold.
- Virechanopaga - The group of herbs that are used in Virechana- Purgation
What is the classification of Bibhitaki herb?
- Kingdom : Plantae
- Family : Combretaceae
- Genus : Terminalia
- Species : T. bellirica
Is Bibhitaki a habit-forming herbal remedy?
There are very few medicines which are addictive. As per the resolution passed by the Government of India such drugs are prohibited. Such drugs can only be sold or taken under the recommendation of a registered practitioner.
Does Bibhitaki boost the immunity?
Yes, Bibhitaki acts as an immunity booster and also increases longevity.
Can Bibhitaki be taken by the diabetic patient?
Yes, it can be taken as Bibhitaki helps in regulating blood sugar levels and increased insulin sensitivity in the body. This function of the herb makes it a very useful remedy for diabetes patients.
Is Bibhitaki good for the digestive system?
Yes, it is. The herb is also known to be one of the best tonics for the digestive system. Juice of Bibhitaki herb keeps the system clean and improves the digestive functions. It also helps in improving the conditions such as anorexia and diseases such as piles and worms in the digestive system.
Is Bibhitaki good for constipation?
Bibhitaki is a natural laxative and contains dietary fibers which are digestive agents and fights with constipation. Bibhitaki is a natural remedy for the patients who are having constipation.
How does Bibhitaki prevent hair loss and remove dandruff?
Bibhitaki is a remedy used for hair fall in the form of Bibhitaki herbal oil. It also prevents dandruff and lice infection. Use of Bibhitaki oil is good for hair.
How does Bibhitaki help in removing acne and ulcers?
Bibhitaki has antibacterial properties which makes it beneficial in treating acne and ulcers.
When to consume Bibhitaki, empty stomach, before food or after food?
It can be taken in both ways. At night after dinner before going to bed or in the morning on an empty stomach.
Is it safe to take Bibhitaki?
Yes, it is safe but it should not be taken by the pregnant woman.
Can I give Bibhitaki to children?
Can be given but in limited dose that too under the guidance of the physician.
How long can I take Bibhitaki?It is a pure herb and has no side effect. It can be taken as per the need and guidance of your physician.
What happens in the case of an overdose of Bibhitaki?
The overdose of anything is bad. It loses the stomach, can make the ulcers bleed, nausea, vomiting, and weakness.
What is the dosage of Bibhitaki in case of powder?
Bibhitaki powder can be taken- 250mg-3 grams of powder along with lukewarm water.
What is the best time to take Bibhitaki?
At night after dinner is the best time to take.
Can I take Bibhitaki during pregnancy?
No, one should not take it as it may cause bleeding and leads to abortion and complication related to it.
Can I take Bibhitaki during periods?
Yes, it can be taken but sometimes it can increase the blood flow and cause nausea.
How does Bibhitaki help in Kapha disorders?
As we have already mentioned in our earlier posts, Kapha types are generally overweight and are prone to cough and cold due to the excessive mucus in the body. Bibhitaki helps in removing mucus from the digestive tract which leads to better absorption of nutrients by the body.
How is Bibhitaki helpful in respiratory disorders?
The anti-inflammatory,antioxidant, and bronchodilator property of Bibhitaki makes it useful in curing and managing the respiratory disorders.
How is Bibhitaki helpful in weight loss?
Bibhitaki is a natural blood purifier, which removes the toxins and keeps the digestive system active as it contains dietary fibers which help in digestion of the food.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile