Brihat Kasturi Bhairav Ras - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali Jwara Rogadhikara – 723 – 730
Brihat Kasturi Bhairav Ras is an Ayurvedic tablet. It is used in the treatment of diabetes, urinary tract diseases, chronic fever etc.
10 g fine powder of each of:-
- Mrigamada – Musk
- Karpoora – Camphor – Cinnamomum camphora
- Tamra Bhasma – Bhasma (calx) of Copper
- Dhataki – Fire flame bush (flower) – Woodfordia fruticosa
- Atmagupta – Velvet Bean (seed) – Mucuna pruriens
- Swarna Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Gold
- Rajata Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Silver
- Mukta Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Pearl
- Pravala Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Coral
- Loha Bhasma – Bhasma (Calx) of Iron
- Patha – Cyclea peltata
- Vidanga – False black pepper (fruit) – Embelia ribes
- Musta – Nut grass (root) – Cyperus rotundus
- Shunti – Ginger (rhizome) – Zingiber officinalis
- Hrivera – Pavonia odorata
- Shuddha Haratala – Purified Orpiment - Arsenic tri sulphide
- Abhraka Bhasma – Bhasma (calx) of Mica
- Amalaki - Indian Gooseberry - Emblica officinalis
- Arka – Calotropis procera – quantity sufficient.
How to Make?
Make fine powder of above ingredients and grounded with the juice extract of Amalaki and arka then made into paste and finally pills are prepared.
125 mg once or twice a day, before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor. It is traditionally administered along with honey, Bael root powder, and cumin powder.
- Urinary tract disease
- Liver disease
- All types of fever
- Malabsorption syndrome
Note - Avoid Self-medication with this medicine. It may cause severe side effects as it contains heavy metals that may prove to be dangerous.
It should be taken under medical supervision in prescribed dose for limited period of time or as advised by doctor. Over-dosage may cause severe poisonous effects.
It is best avoided in pregnancy, lactation and in children.