Ayurvedic formulations are showing amazing results in treatment of various acute and chronic diseases since ages. Most of these formulations are herbal based but few are mineral based, i.e. the herbomineral preparations. One of such mineral based medicine available in the clax form, is Chaturmukhodayabhaskara. This article is focused on the ingredients description, clinical properties and indications of Chaturmukhodayabhaskara, along with its dosage and contraindications.
Chaturmukhodayabhaskara is the classical poly mineral formulation of Ayurveda used to treat the various neurological disorders.
As the name suggested this formulation consisted of four ingredients. These ingredients include:-
- Praval Bhasma
- Rasa Sindur
- Kanta Loha Bhasma
- Abhrak Bhasma
Description of Ingredients
1. Praval Bhasma (Calx of Coral Calcium)
This is the natural source of calcium as per the richness in the calcium carbonate salts. This Prval is obtained from the coral reef prepared by Anthozoan Polyps named sea creatures near the seashore. It is obtained, processed and purified and converted into calx by ancient Ayurvedic principles (shodhan and maran).
Due to the rich source of calcium it is beneficial in maintaining the good health and tone of bones, muscles and cartilages along with other body tissues even in old age or diseased condition.
Ayurvedic Properties of Praval Bhasma (Reference - Ras Trangini 23/139-141)
- Taste - Sweet, Alkaline
- Potency - Cool
- Properties - Lite, appetizer, digestive stimulant, nourishing, aphrodisiac and enhancing texture of skin.
- Dosha Effect - Pacifies all three doshas mainly Vata-kapha.
- Specific Qualities -
- Kshaykaas haram - Help in overcoming the weakness and chronic cough.
- Raktpitt prashamanam - Blood related disorders like bleeding piles, epistaxis or ulcerative colitis etc.
- Swedatinirgamharam - Relieves the condition of oversweating.
- Vishghanam - Antioxidant property.
The Praval bhasma is very much beneficial in all the conditions of Kshay (immune deficiency, disability, physical-mental weakness, chronic fatigue etc). Indicated in increasing or continuous chronic fevers, dry cough, dyspnea, pain in the ribs, polydipsia, hyperhidrosis (over sweating), sweating particularly morning and night hours, diabetes and other kidney related diseases, eye disorders, immune deficiency. Praval pishti (a combination made from Praval Bhasam and rose water) is highly recommended in the anemic condition associated with pregnancy.
2. Rasa Sindur (Mercury Based Preparation)
This formulation is made by the mixture of Shuddha Parad (Detoxified form of the Mercury), and Shuddha Gandhak (Purified form of Sulphur).
Therapeutic Uses According To Text
Ras Sindur is a classical mineral based preparation having multiple benefits. It especially provides strength to all the channels involved in transferring the motor or sensory signals i.e. nerves (vata vahini nadi). It helps in pacifying the aggravated vata etc. three dosha. It helps in eliminating the vitiated pitta dosha without causing diarrhea or any other abdominal discomfort. Basically Ras sindur is a medicine that provides energy and strength enhancing medicine for the healthy person. Due to the Yogvahi properties of this formulation, it enhances the effect of other herbal/herbomineral medicine used along Ras Sindur. This medicine is having rejuvenating properties in the patients with low blood pressure and heart diseases.
Ras Sindur is indicated in conditions like acute and chronic fever, Prameh (Diabetes and kidney disorders), Rakta Pradara (Abnormal uterine bleeding), Arsh roga (Piles), Apasmaar (Epilepsy), Unmaad (Mental disorders), Shwas roga (Breathing related disorders), Kamla Roga (Jaundice), Paanduroga (Anemia), Mutra Krich (Dysuria), Ajeran (Indigestion), Shool (Pain), and chronic neurological disorders. etc. disorders.
3. Kanta Loha Bhasma (Magnetic Iron Clax)
This is the mineral-based preparation prepared from the oxides of iron, these oxides are initially purified with buttermilk or decoction of Kulthi (Macrotyloma uniflorum), and the aloe vera juice and Jambul tree’s (Syzygium jambolanum) bark is used during the processing of this calx. Chemically it is iron oxide.
Ayurvedic Properties of Loh Bhasma (Reference - Ras Trangini 20/87-96)
- Taste - Pungent, Astringent.
- Potency - Cool
- Properties - Heavy, dry, digestive stimulant, nervine tonic, rejuvenating etc.
- Dosha Effect - Pacifies kapha and pitta
- Specific Qualities -
- Varnya - Complexion enhancer.
- Jatharudarnut - Eliminate various abdominal discomforts by correcting the weakened digestive fire.
- Medhya - Nervine tonic.
- Balyam - Providing strength.
- Iron deficiency anemia
- General debility
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Hemolytic anemia
- Nervine weakness
- Neurological disorders
4. Abhrak Bhasma (Clax of Calcined Mica)
Purified Mica is the most important ingredient of this formulation. This mica is being processed in the juices and decoction of multiple herbs, along with the process of calcination, which all in total adds up to the properties of the final product i.e. calcined ash of Mica.
Ayurvedic Properties of Abhrak Bhasma (Reference - Rasa Ratna Samuccaya 2/2)
- Taste - Sweet,
- Potency - Very Cool
- Properties - Smooth and nutritious, mind calming
- Dosha Effect - Pacifies aggravated vata and pitta dosha and also helps in treating the nutritional / immune deficiency.
- Specific Qualities -
- Pragya bodhi - Enhances memory.
- Balyam - Strength enhancer.
- Vrishyamaayusham aagrayam - Best medication for aphrodisiac and longevity.
- Ruchidakapham - Appetizer by reducing mucus.
- Keshya - Hair growth promoter.
- Jwar (Acute & chronic fever conditions)
- Yakshma (Tuberculosis)
- Raktapitta (Bleeding disorders)
- Paandu (Anaemia)
These four ingredients are of Yogvahi nature. Yogvahi is the property of the medicine to enhance the other medicine along with it. So, with this synergistic action of these four bhasmas, the net action of the Chaturmukhodayabhaskara becomes 4 times.
These four in combination act as the best tonic for the nerves and nervous system.With the balya and medhya actions of its four ingredients, it is the perfect combination for treating the various neurological disorders.
- This is the best medicine for various vataj rogas (neurological disorders), such as numbness in feet and hands, parkinsons, alzihmers, sciatica, tingling sensation in the body parts etc.
- In females it shows best results in amenorrheic patients (absence of menstruation), or in dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation), abnormal uterine bleeding (irregular periods), leucorrhea (whitish- yellowish discharge from vagina).
- This formulation is also beneficial in the indigestion related disorders, herpes and other viral infections.
- It is immunomodulator and strength enhancing thus, helpful in the treatment of various auto-immune conditions and immunodeficiency conditions. It also plays a key role in providing strength to the body in multiple nutritional deficiency cases related with the chronic ailments.
One dose is 250mg (i.e. 1 gram = 4 doses), to be consumed with honey and equal amounts of jeera churna (Powder of cumin seeds).
As this formulation contains the minerals, these must be taken with the advice of the doctor, that too in low dosage, as the overdosage will lead to few complications.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile