Reference - Sahasrayogam Taila Prakarana - 8
Chinchadi Tailam is a herbal oil formulation mentioned in ayurvedic classical texts. This oil is mainly used in neurological conditions. It is mainly used to pacify vata dosha among all three doshas (vasa, pitta and kapha). In this article we will know about chinchadi tailam ingredients, benefits, method of preparation and dosage.
Chinchadi oil is a medicinal oil preparation which mainly contains ten ingredients. As the name suggests, chincha or tamarind is the main content in chinchadi tailam. This oil is prepared using sesame oil as base. It is basically used in nervous disorders like paralysis and joint related pain conditions like arthritis.
In classical texts chinchadi oil is used in all types of vata roga (eighty vata diseases). It is explained in Sahasrayogam, for external application and to reduce pain like conditions due to aggravated vata.
Kalka Dravya (Paste)
- Siddhardha /Sweta sarshapa (Brassica campestris)
- Amaradaru/ Devdaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Shigru (Moringa oleifera)
- Lavana (salt) - panch lavan
- Vishwa/ sunthi (Zingiber officinalis)
Sneha Dravya (Oil)
Tila taila (Sesame oil)
Kwath Dravya (Decoction)-
- Chincha (Tamarindus indicus)
- Eranda (Ricinus communis)
- Sarini (Sida rhombifolia)
- Varuna (Cartagena nurvala)
- Snuhi (Euphorbia neriifolia)
- Bhanu / arka (Calotropis gigantea)
- Gandira (Coleus forskohlii)
- Jambeera (Citrus limon)
- Satapatra (Nelumbium speciosum)
- Grinjana / palamdu bheda (Allium sativum)
- Dadhi (curd)
- Amla sukta / kanji (probiotic)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Siddhardha - It has great medicinal properties and acts as an antioxidant. It helps in joint conditions and improves warmth and joint flexibility. It reduces all pains, redness and swelling.
- Amaradaru / Devdaru - It helps in managing arthritis, bone fractures, osteoarthritis and various types of inflammation, neurological disorders. It is also helpful in respiratory disorders such as asthma, bronchitis.
- Shigru - It has nutritive value as it is rich in Vitamin C and Iron. It cures from worm infestations and various skin infections. It is very effective in treating cold and flu-like symptoms.
- Vishwa/ sunthi - It relieves all types of body pain and inflammation. It is helpful in stomach upset and corrects body metabolism. It is beneficial in various digestive disorders and infections.
- Til taila - It helps in lubrication and controls vitiated vata dosha. It promotes healthy skin, promotes physical strength and strengthens bones and muscles.
- Chincha - It relieves from colic pain and abdominal lump. It is very good laxative and diuretic. It can be applied externally to reduce inflammation. It helps in managing hypertension and cardiovascular disorders.
- Eranda - It is very helpful in treating various rheumatic and skin diseases. It relieves pain and maintains neurological conditions. Due to its laxative property it is very effective in constipation and removing aama (toxins from the body).
- Sarini - It is a traditional medicine used to treat cough, cold and fever. Very helpful in inflamed areas, neurological concern.
- Varuna - It is useful for healing painful kidney stones. It acts as a natural diuretic and blood purifier. It reduces inflammation and stiffness in rheumatic patients.
- Snuhi - Its juice is used to treat earache and used externally for joint pains. It is very helpful in inflammatory and allergic conditions.
- Bhanu / Arka - It is useful in inducing vomiting, purgation and mainly works on vata and kapha related ailments. It eliminates krimi as it helps in worm infestations.
- Gandira - It protects against cancer and inflammation. Helps in treating insomnia, epilepsy and depression (act as bronchodilator).
- Jambeera - As it is rich in vitamin C so it helps to treat scurvy, sore throat, rheumatism, chest pain, etc. It makes collagen for skin, helps in absorbing iron and supports the immune system.
- Satapatra- It is used to reduce body heat and increase body strength. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and treats all types of infections. It calms mind and anxiety related issues.
- Grinjana / Palamdu bheda - It destroys bacteria, fungus and parasites. It improves the immune system and strengthens the body. It has antiseptic and expectorant properties.
- Dadhi (Curd) - It is a dairy product which helps in immunity, sugar level and digestion problems. It provides strength to painful bones and joints. It is rich in magnesium and zinc.
- Amla sukta / Kanji - Helps to overcome fatigue and corrects digestion. It is used as supportive therapy in dehydration and diarrhea.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of chinchadi tailam are as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then kalka dravya (paste) and drava dravya (decoction) mixed properly.
- At last add oil in it and keep it boiling.
- Stir the solution obtained properly so that it cannot adhere to the vessel.
- When all dravyas are evaporated, kalka is taken out and tested for its paka (mridu, madhyam, khara).
- Now the oil is obtained and has the colour, taste and smell of the drugs used.
The properties of chinchadi oil is as given below-
- Manages muscular dysfunctioning
- Helpful in neurological conditions
- Have anti-inflammatory properties
- Act as an analgesics
- Beneficial for circulatory disorders
- Have antispasmodic property
The Chinchadi Oil is indicated in following conditions-
- Eighty vata disorders
- Rheumatic diseases
- Facial palsy
- Muscular spasm
- Low backache
- Not for internal use
Eternally or locally applied according to the affected area.
Chinchadi Oil is medicated oil formulations from ayurvedic text Sahasrayogam. It is externally used for any type of pain, swelling and sprain injuries. This oil can be used for abhyang (massage) or dhara (pouring) procedures as mentioned in classical texts. It corrects all neuromuscular problems, inflammation and corrects overall body’s metabolism.