Reference - Sahasrayogam (Ghrita Yoga Prakaranam) - 19
Gopamajadi Ghritam is a herbal formulation mentioned in our classical texts. This ghrita preparation is used for any type of skin disorders or diseases. It mainly pacifies vata and pitta disorders among all three doshas (vata, pitta and kapha). In this article we will discuss Gopadmajadi ghrita ingredients, classical indications, method of preparation and its dosage.
It is a medicinal oil preparation which mainly contains fourteen ingredients. This formulation is mainly prepared by using coconut oil/ cow’s ghee as base. As the name suggests, Gopadma/ saraiva (Hemidesmus indicus) is its main ingredient. It is mainly used in skin disorders like leprosy, scabies, psoriasis or burning sensation in skin.
According to classical texts, in Sahasrayogam the Gopadmajadi ghritam is indicated in skin disorder i.e. severe visrap. It is a pitta kapha disorder along with vitiated kapha. This formulation is explained in Sahasrayogam for various types of skin related issues.
Kalka Dravya (Paste)
- Gopadma/ sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Kamala (Nelumbo nucifera)
- Chandan (Santalum album)
- Usher (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Kushtha (Sausseria lappa)
- Nyagrodha (Ficus benganalies)
- Udumbara (Ficus glomerata)
- Aaswath (Ficus religiosa)
- Plaksh ankur (Ficus microcarpa)
- Kamalnala/ bisa (Nelumbo nucifera)
- Utpala kanda (Nymphaea caerulea)
- Go ghrita (cow’s ghee)
- Durva swaras (Cynodon dactylon)
- Gookshira (cow’s milk)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Gopadma/ Sariva- It is very beneficial to treat skin diseases like psoriasis, leprosy. It can be used for drinking, bathing, and external application to cure skin related issues. It acts as a blood purifier and anti-inflammatory.
- Kamala - It is used to treat heat imbalance in the body and reduces redness and swelling of skin. It is used to treat hematemesis, epistaxis and hematuria. Due to its cooling effects it helps in reducing skin problems.
- Chandan - It is used as antiseptic and astringent. It is used in inflammatory and eruptive skin diseases. It has an anti-ageing effect and reduces wrinkles, scars and darkening of skin. It helps in toning, moisturizing, and smoothening of skin.
- Ushera - It acts as a blood purifier so helps to reduce extra water from blood and makes skin healthy. It helps in pacifying pitta dosha as according to classics pitta dosha is present in skin. It improves skin glow and texture.
- Kushtha - It is traditionally used as a drug for treating psoriasis and skin related issues. It is mainly used in cosmetics, inflammation, and skin healing. It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- Nyagrodha - It is helpful in treating bleeding and skin disorders. It treats skin infections, wounds, inflammatory conditions and burning sensation in skin. It mainly pacifies kapha and pitta dosha among all three doshas.
- Udumbara - It helps in curing ulcers, bleeding gums as it has chemo preventive and anti-inflammatory properties. It is helpful in reducing pain, selling and healing wounds.
- Aaswath - It acts as an anti-ulcer, anti-bacterial, antiprotozoal agent. It helps in treating chronic ulcers, stomatitis and infectious diseases. It was traditionally used for reducing scars, wounds and eczema.
- Plaksh ankur - It helps in treating bleeding disorders, herpes, wound, mouth ulcers. Its roots are helpful in skin disorders and mainly acts on rakta, pitta dosha among all doshas.
- Kamalnala/ Bisa - Due to its cooling effect it helps in maintaining the cooling effect in the human body. It reduces redness, swelling, itching and other skin related issues. It is also helpful in bleeding disorders.
- Utpala kanda - It helps in refreshing the mind and reduces depression, anxiety. It increases vata dosha in the body due to its vatala property. It acts as a bitter tonic and anti-inflammatory.
- Go ghrita - Cow ghee is a rich source of Vit. A, D, E and normalizes cellular function and growth in the body. It boosts immunity and nourishes skin. It makes skin hydrated and glowing.
- Durva swaras - It prevents growth of microorganisms. It improves skin irritation and softens skin, mucous membrane. It boosts immunity and treats nasal, gum bleeding and corrects overall body metabolism.
- Gookshira - Milk acts as an agent or drug that kills microbes and inhibits its multiplication. It contains nutrients like calcium, vit.D and proteins. Milk acts as a gentle and great skin face exfoliator due to the presence of lactic acid.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of gopadmajadi ghritam are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare kalka (paste) from kalka dravyas and murchhana of go ghrita is done.
- Then mix the kalka prepared from kalka dravyas (paste) and murchit ghrita.
- Add drava dravya (decoction) into the miniature prepared in a stainless steel vessel.
- Then it should be cooked on a mild fire till it remains a quantity of murchitta ghrita.
- At last gopadmajadi ghritam is prepared and stored in a clean airtight glass container
The properties of Gopadmajadi ghritam are given as following-
- It deals with skin related issues
- It has antioxidant properties
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect
- Reduces burning sensation
- Have anti allergic properties
- It has moisturizing and hydrating properties
The Gopadmajadi ghritam is indicated in following conditions-
- Skin burns
- Chronic skin disease
Some of the conditions in which Gopadmajadi ghritam is not given are as following-
- Kapha related disorders
Dosage / Usage
Externally or locally applied according to the affected area or part involved.
It is herbal medicated ghrita formulation from Ayurveda texts Sahasrayogam. Gopadma Jadi ghritam is applied externally to the affected area. It is very beneficial for all skin related issues like scabies, purities and dry skin as it mainly balances pitta dosha. Due to its anti-inflammatory property it reduces skin redness and swelling.