Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Kushth Chikitsa 19/ 71-74
It is a herbal oil preparation mentioned in our classical Ayurveda texts. This oil is mainly used for chronic skin diseases. It mainly pacifies vata and pitta dosha among all three doshas. This oil is mainly prepared by using sesame oil (til oil) as a base. In this article we will learn about Gulgulmarichadi tailam, ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and its dosage, etc.
Gulgulumarichadi thailam is a medicinal oil formulation which mainly contains seventeen ingredients. It is beneficial for various skin disorders such as eczema, dermatitis, etc. It is primarily used for various dermatological conditions such as dermatitis, skin infections, scar marks, etc. As the name suggests Guggul and Marich are its primary ingredients among seventeen ingredients.
According to classical ayurvedic texts Gulgulmarichadi oil is explained by Aacharya Vagbhat in vataj and pitaj disorders or mainly in chronic skin related disorders, keratitis and crack foot. It is primarily indicated in “kushtha” in classics (leprosy).
The main ingredients for preparation of Gulgulumarichadi thailam are as given following-
Kalka Dravya (Paste)
(48 grams each following)
- Guggul (Commophora mukul)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)
- Sarshapa (Brassica campestris)
- Kaseesa (Ferrous sulphate)
- Sarajrasa (Vateria indica)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Shriweshtak/ saral (Pinus roxburghii)
- Hartal (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Gandhak (purified sulphur)
- Manshilla (Arsenic disulfide)
- Kushta (Sausseria lappa)
- Kampillaka (Mallotus philippines)
- Haridra (Curcoma longa)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
Sneha Dravya (Oil)
Til tailam (Sesame oil) - 10kg
Water (150 litres)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Guggul - It helps to treat anti-inflammatory conditions such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, etc. It is very beneficial in severe forms of acne on the chest, shoulder, face, etc. It is effective in various skin diseases and corrects metabolism.
- Marich - It removes toxins from the body which helps to stimulate various body organs. It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which helps in reducing frequent acne exaggeration.
- Vidanga - It helps in pacifying vitiated kapha dosha so it improves digestive fire. Due to its hot potency it removes all toxins from the body and undigested food. It has an anti-parasitic property and corrects the body's metabolism.
- Sarshapa - It is particularly used externally to cure skin diseases like kustha (leprosy). It boosts immunity so it fights against bacterias, fungal infections. It improves blood circulation and increases appetite.
- Kaseesa - It helps in maintaining iron level in the body and boosts wound healing. It is rich in various nutrients and minimizes the appearance of bruises. It supplies oxygen to cells and helps in tissue repair.
- Sarjarasa - It helps in treating leprosy, skin infections, eruptions, cracks, wounds and ulcer. It helps in healing wounds and treating ulcers, burns. It acts as tonic, carminative and has expectorant property.
- Musta - It has antioxidant properties which helps in wound repairing. It has antihistamine properties so helps to fight against allergies. Due to its antimicrobial activity all types of germs are killed.
- Ela - It corrects all digestive ailments and fights against bacteria. It makes our skin and hair very healthy and strong. It reduces and soothes inflammation of various parts of the body.
- Hartal - It is pungent, astringent and hot in potency. It proves to be very useful in various skin diseases with itching. It helps to remove facial hairs permanently.
- Gandhak - It has natural skin soothing properties and reduces acne, boils. It helps in purifying blood, clearing dirt, impurities, unclogging pores and secondary skin infections. It helps in curing different types of allergies.
- Manshilla - It removes toxins from the body (toxic conditions) and treats various psychological disorders. It has antipyretic and sedative properties. It helps in indigestion, anxiety and agitation.
- Kushta - It is traditionally used as a drug for treating psoriasis and various skin related conditions. It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. In today's world plays an important role due to cosmetic purposes.
- Kampillaka - It has purgative, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, digestant and insecticidal properties. It is very helpful in managing skin disorders, worm infestations and itching. It also treats scabies, herpes like disorders.
- Haridra - It minimises or eliminates toxins from the body and supports healthy skin. It improves skin tone, allergies, itching and promotes wound healing.
- Daruharidra - It is used to treat eye infections externally, ulcers and haemorrhoids. It is bitter tonic and has antiseptic, antipyretic properties. It also acts as anti-fungal anti-bacterial.
- Til tailam (Sesame oil) - It reduces inflammation, stress, depression. It protects skin from sun damage as it has antioxidant properties. It also prevents arthritis and gingivitis.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for preparation of Gulgulmarichadi ghritam are as given following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then kalka dravyas are powdered and mixed properly and kalka (paste) is prepared.
- Take water and boil it for some time and add sesame oil in it.
- At last kalka dravyas are added to the solution.
- Stir the solution properly and continuously.
- Boil and stir up to the stage of khar paka lakshans.
- Then filter the ghrita obtained and store in an airtight glass container and keep it away from direct sunlight.
The properties of gulgulmarichadi tailam are given as following-
- Beneficial for all dermatological conditions.
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Have antithrombotic properties.
- It has anti-histaminic activity.
- It has hemostatic properties.
- It also acts as an antimicrobial agent.
The various indications for guggulu marichadi tailam are given as following-
- Kustha (leprosy)
- Chronic skin disease
- Crack foot
- Eczema scars
- Acne scar
- No side effects reported.
- No contraindication.
Dosage / Usage
Use for external applications not for internal administration. Required amount applied over affected area.
Tikat and Katu (Pungent, Bitter)
Above mentioned oil is a herbal formulation explained in classical texts of Ashtanga hridayam which is applied externally to the affected skin area. It helps in managing all dermatological conditions due to its antioxidant and anti-histaminic properties. It is very effective in eczema, dermatitis and other secondary infections.