Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Gulam Chikitsa 14/ 39
Hinguthrigunam Tailam is medicated skin care oil mentioned in ayurvedic texts. It can be used in both ways as internally and externally. It is primarily used in gastrointestinal issues, any type of growth/ swelling and rheumatism. It is prepared in castor oil as a base. In this article we will know about Hinguthrigunam tailam, its composition, benefits, method of preparation and its dosage.
It is a herbal oil formulation which contains only four main ingredients. It is beneficial for various types of abdominal disorders like stomach ache, gastritis, bloating, etc. In this herbal oil herbs are infused in the medium of sesame oil along with herbal water decoction. This oil contains water soluble and oil soluble phyto-active principles of the herbs.
According to classical ayurvedic texts, Hinguthrigunam thailam is described in Ashtanga hridayam for any type of cystic swelling. Among all three doshas (vata, pita, kapha) it helps in pacification of vitiated vata and pitta dosha. Other indications in classics are-
- Gulam (Tumorous growth)
- Udar roga (Abdominal disorders)
- Vardham / Andvridhy (Hydrocele)
- Shoolas (Any type of pain)
The various ingredients for the formation of Hinguthrigunam tailam are given as following-
- Hingu (Ferula asafoetida)
- Saindhav (Rock salt) - 3 parts
- Erand tail (Castor oil) - 1 part
- Rasoon rasa (Garlic juice) - 27 parts
- Cow’s ghrit (Ghee) - 1 part
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Hingu - It is rich in fibre aids in proper digestion. It provides relief from various stomach related issues like gastritis, abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, etc. Due to its antimicrobial activity it reduces chances of stomach infections. It also has anti- rheumatic properties.
- Saindhav - It boosts body metabolism and improves its functions. It fights with digestive disorders and improves digestion. It helps in combating respiratory illness and sore throat.
- Erand tail - It acts as a powerful laxative and reduces constipation problems. It has natural moisturizing properties and helps in wound healing. It has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces cystic swellings.
- Rasoon ras - It reduces growth of bacteria and cures from urinary tract infections. It reduces infections of kidneys, liver and bones. It produces antioxidant enzymes in the body.
- Cow’s ghee - It is a rich source of vitamins such as vit. A, D, E and normalizes cellular growth. It boosts immunity and improves metabolism. It improves memory, immunity, and digestion.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Hinguthrigunam oil is given as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs and wash them properly.
- Then kalka (paste) is prepared from hingu, rock salt and garlic.
- Then add cow ghee and castor oil in it and allow it for boiling.
- Stir the solution continuously for some time till all ingredients get mixed properly.
- At last filter the oil obtained in a glass airtight container.
- Oil obtained should be kept away from direct sunlight.
The main properties if Hinguthrigunam tailam are given as following-
- Works as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
- It acts as digestion stimulator
- It has immunomodulatory properties.
- It acts as purgative and digestive.
Hinguthrigunam Tailam is indicated in following conditions-
- APD (Acid peptic disorder)
- Stomach aches
- Gaseous distension
The conditions in which hinguthrigunam tailam are given as following-
- Careful in- diabetic patient
- Dyslipidemic patients
Dosage / Usage
- External application
- Internal application (one tablespoon before meal)
Administered with equal amounts of hot water.
Above mentioned oil is a medicated formulation in classics which is mainly used for gastric conditions and inflammatory issues. It is helpful in various abdominal disorders such as pain, bloating, distension, etc., which uses castor oil as its base. This oil can be used as it has no serious ill effects.