Reference - Sahasrayogam-ghrit Yoga Prakaranam 19/ 18
Indukanta Ghritam is a herbal ghrita formulation mentioned in Ayurvedic classical texts which is used for abdominal disorders. It can be beneficial in weakness, tiredness and increase body’s strength. In this preparation cow ghee is used as base. It can be used as preventive medication for infectious diseases. In this article we will discuss this ghrita composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Indukant Ghrita is a medicated preparation of several herbs for gaining body power, muscle strength and gastrointestinal conditions. In this drugs are infused together following classical principle of ghrita formation. It is a form of ghee for vata predominant diseases, digestive disorders, neurological and respiratory disorders. It increases digestive fire and maintains metabolism.
According to classical texts, it acts on tridosha but mainly it pacifies vata dosha. It is used internally with lukewarm water. The various indications mentioned in classics are-
- Vata vyadhi (Vataj disorder)
- Kshaya (Phthisis / Decrease strength / Trauma)
- Udar roga (Abdominal disorders)
- Gulama (Tumorous growth)
- Shoola (Pain)
- Jawar (Fever)
The list of ingredients are given as following-
Kwatha Dravyas (Decoction) - 160 Grams Each
- Putikaranja (Caesalpinia crista)
- Deodars (Cedrus deodara)
- Dashmoola (Root of 10 herbs)
- Goo kshira (Cow milk) - 1 litre
- Water - 7 liters
Ghrit Dravya (Ghee)
- Cow's ghee - 960 ml
Kalka Dravya (Paste) - 40 Grams Each
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Pippali moola (Root of Piper longum)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Chitrak moola (Plumbago indica)
- Sunthi (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Yavakshara (Hordeum vulgare)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Putikaranja - It treats skin diseases like leprosy, ulcers. It soothes gastrointestinal problems like fullness, bloating, constipation and gastritis.
- Devdaru - It helps to relieve cough, cold and fever. It decreases joint inflammation, pain in joints like arthritis, gout, etc. It is useful in various neurological disorders.
- Dashamoola - It is a group of ten drugs which has an analgesic property so helpful in various painful conditions. It reduces body temperature and is helpful in respiratory ailments.
- Goo kshira - It contains various nutrients and is helpful in bone strength. It manages cough, cold, sore throat and improves immunity. It hydrates our body and maintains metabolism.
- Cow ghee - It is a rich source of vitamins which helps in normal growth of body tissues and removes toxins from the body. It has healthy fat so it improves digestion.
- Pippali - It fights against various infections like cold, cough, flu, releases mucus and clears air passage. It reduces intestinal infections and detoxifies the body.
- Pippali mool - It relieves inflammation, swelling, improves appetite. It stimulates liver functions and promotes relaxation of body tissues.
- Chavya - It has great significance in cough, asthma, abdominal distension, bloating, pain, constipation and indigestion. It helps in balancing vata and kapha dosha.
- Chitrak mool - It is a great appetizer and digestive, it also reduces fat accumulation. It is used for managing constipation, muscular pain, and diarrhea.
- Sunthi - It is an antioxidant, prevents bacteria, infections, abdominal disorders. It also reduces pain and inflammation.
- Yavakshara - It is used for managing urinary and abdominal disorders. It has diuretic properties and it balances kapha and vata disorders.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Indukanta ghritam are as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then prepare kalka (paste) from kalka dravya and decoction from drava dravya) liquid) reduced to one fourth by boiling.
- Then add cow’s ghee to the kalka prepared in a clean stainless steel vessel and mix it well under low flame.
- Then add the decoction prepared into the mixture of kalka and ghrita.
- Then cook all the solution on mild heat till it remains a quantity of ghee and keep stirring.
- On completion, filter the solution and store in clean wide mouth glass bottles.
- This preparation is known as Indukanta ghritam , to keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Indukanta ghrita are given as follows-
- It has an analgesic and anti-oxidant effect.
- It promotes strength to the body.
- It acts as an immunity booster.
- Maintains digestion and increases appetite.
- It has antispasmodic properties.
- Act as hepato protective and demulcent
The indication of Indukanta ghritam are as following-
- Chronic fever
- Abdominal pain
- Ulcerative colitis
- IBS (Irritable Bowel syndrome)
- Peptic ulcer
No such side effects and contraindications are there, only to be used under medical supervision.
Dosage / Usage
10 ml in adult’s twice daily or 5 ml twice in children.
With lukewarm water and lukewarm milk.
Slightly pungent or like ghee.
Indukanta Ghritam is a poly herbal formulation which is helpful for gastrointestinal disorders. It manages indigestion, abdominal pain, flatulence, and discomfort like conditions as it strengthens digestive fire. It is used for both palliative and purificatory purposes. So, this ghrit can be used according to its indications but of any severity one must take medical supervision.