How to Treat Crohn's Disease with Herbal Remedies ?
Crohn's disease comes under inflammatory bowel disease that causes inflammation of the digestive tract. It may affect your gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus. Small intestine is mostly affected by this disease. Inflammation caused by this disease spreads deep into the layers of affected bowel tissues. Crohn’s disease sometimes may lead to many other complications.
Many people think that there is no proper treatment for this disease. But Ayurveda provides very effective herbal remedies for the treatment of this disease. As we known Ayurvedic treatment is based on basic principles of dosha, body type of an individual and rasa, guna, veerya, vipaka of herbs. So it treat crohn’s disease from its root.
Let's Discuss about Signs and Symptoms of Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease mostly affects small intestine (ileum) last part of the small intestine and the colon is affected. The signs and symptoms in this disease may vary from mild to severe. When crohn's disease is active it may include signs and symptoms which are mentioned below:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- General weakness
- Pain and drainage around the anal region
- Mouth sores
- Blood in stool
Severe Crohn's Disease may Show a few more Signs and Symptoms
- It may cause inflammation of eyes, skin, and joints.
- In children, it leads to delayed growth or sexual development.
- Sometimes it may cause inflammation of liver and bile ducts.
What are the Causes of Crohn's Disease?
Due to wrong eating habits and sedentary life-style, most of the people are facing the number of disease one of them is crohn’s disease. Stress, anxiety, weak immune system, and heredity play a vital role in the formation of this disease. Excessive production of Pitta dosha in the body leads to this disease.
Now let's Discuss about Difference Between Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
These both diseases comes under inflammatory bowel disease but there are some differences mentioned below:
|Crohn's Disease||Ulcerative Colitis|
|1) The end part of the small intestine is mostly affected.||1) Entire colon is affected (in the rectum and colon).|
|2) Inflammation develops in the gastrointestinal tract from mouth to anus.||2) It is in the large intestine (colon and rectum).|
|3) Crohn's disease may appear in patches.||3) Ulcerative colitis appears in the continuous pattern.|
|4) It may cover the entire thickness of the bowel wall.||4) It causes inflammation in the innermost lining of the intestine.|
|5) Crohn's disease is not very common.||5) Ulcerative colitis is a very common disease nowadays.|
What are the Complications of Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's disease shows many complications that are mentioned below:
- Ulcers: Ulcers formation is there in a digestive tract that includes mouth and anus.
- Bowel obstruction: This disease affects the thickness of the intestinal wall.
- Fistulas: Fistula may appear near or around the anal region.
- Anal fissure: It is a small tear that lines the anal skin.
- Colon cancer: Sometimes severe conditions of crohn’s disease increases the risk of colon cancer.
- Malnutrition: Diarrhea, abdominal cramps & abdominal pain makes difficult to eat that leads to malnutrition.
- Other health issues: This disease may lead to other problems like anemia, osteoporosis, arthritis, skin disorders, liver and gall bladder disease.
Let's Discuss the Herbal Remedies for Crohn's Disease
According to Ayurveda in Crohn's disease is compared with Grahani disease. In Ayurveda Grahani is the term used for small intestines (ileum and jejunam). Involvement of all three doshas (Vata, Pitta & Kapha) is seen as per the symptoms. The primary cause of Grahani disease is poor digestion, poor appetite, improper and bad eating habits.
Planet Ayurveda offers the best combination of herbal remedies for the treatment of Crohn's disease. The line of treatment in crohn's disease is the same as ulcerative colitis. So we give ulcerative colitis care pack to the patients as signs, symptoms, involvement of doshas are same in both crohn's and ulcerative colitis.
- Arjuna Capsules : 2 capsules twice daily with plain water half an hour after meals.
- Vatsakadi Churna : 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal or you can boil the powder - 1 teaspoonful in 400 ml water, keep it boiling until it remains 50 ml. Strain it and drink the water. Leave the residue. Do it twice daily. Make fresh preparation every time.
- Pitta Balance Capsules : 1 capsule twice daily with plain water half an hour after meals.
- Kutazghan Vati : 2 tablets twice daily with plain water half an hour after meals.
1. Arjuna Capsules
Standardized extract of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) is used for capsule formation. The herb Arjuna has cold potency & light in nature. It balances Kapha and Pitta dosha in the body. Asrikjit property is useful in the bleeding problem that is seen in crohn's disease patients.
These capsules balance anemia, weakness, bleeding & various other problems related to crohn's disease.
2. Vatsakadi Churna
This churna is prepared from various wonderful herbs that maintain healthy intestines & digestive system. The herbs used in the preparation of this churna are Kutaz (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Dhania (Coriandrum sativum), Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus), Anar (Punica granatum), Choti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum) and Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans) that gives amazing results in crohn’s patients.
- Kutaz (Holarrhena Antidysenterica): This herb treats dysentery problem in crohn's disease.
- Bilva (Aegle Marmelos): It maintains healthy digestion & reduces inflammation of the intestines.
- Saunf (Foeniculum Vulgare): This herbs give cooling effects on the body, increases appetite and maintains overall digestion.
- Nagarmotha (Cyperus Rotundus): The herb shows anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and anti-oxidant properties.
- Anar (Punica granatum): It treats bleeding disorders in crohn’s patients.
- Choti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum): The carminative action of this herb improves digestion, indigestion, and loss of appetite. It provides cooling effects on the body.
- Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans): This herb has anti-diarrhoeal, anti-oxidant, carminative and stimulant properties that deal with symptoms of crohn’s patients.
3. Pitta Balance Capsules
As the name suggests these capsules balances aggravated Pitta dosha in the body. It maintains a healthy digestive system with its natural ingredients. The ingredients used in the preparation of capsules are Praval Pishti (Coral calcium), Akik Pishti (Agate calcium), Jawar mohra pishti (an ayurvedic calcium compound), Kamdudha ras (an ayurvedic calcium compound), Mukta Pishti (Pearl calcium) and Giloy satva (Tinospora cordifolia) that works in synergistic manner on crohn’s disease.
Presence of Pishti's in these capsules balance all three doshas & Giloy satva in the capsule maintains fever, weakness, and fatigue in crohn's patients.
4. Kutazghan Vati
Kutaz herb (Holarrhena antidysenterica) is the main ingredient used in the preparation of Kutazghan vati. Due to cool potency, light and dry nature of the herb it maintains the overall health of the intestines. These tablets are beneficial in diarrhea, improper digestion, fatigue and weakness related to crohn’s disease. The tablets improve the digestive system in a natural way.