Dasamoolahareethaki - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference - Ashtanga Hridaya Chikitsa Sthana 17.
What is Dasamoolahareethaki?
Dasamoolahareethaki is a very effective ayurvedic formulation that is prepared from very effective mixture of herbs. The main ingredients of this formulation are haritaki and dashamoola's decoction. It is in a form of herbal jam or paste.
What are the Ingredients?
- Haritaki - Terminalia chebula
- Dashamoola Kashaya
- Elaiachi - Elettaria cardamomum
- Dalchini - Cinnamomum verum
- Patra - Cinnamomum tamala
- Trikatu - Pepper, Long pepper and ginger
Method of Preparation of Dasamoolahareethaki
- Take all ingredients of pharmacopoeial quality.
- Take 3.07 liters of dhasmoola kashaya and mix with 300 grams of haritaki.
- Add above ingredients with 4.8 kg jaggery and heat the mixture to get the semi-solid consistency.
- After above process, add the mixture with ingredients elaichi, dalchini, patra, trikatu, yavakshara and honey. Take yavakshara up to 12 grams, honey up to 384 grams and other herbs up to 48 grams.
- After this step, the formulation is ready.
- On cooling to room temperature add powders of ingredients numbered 4 to 6, followed by honey and mix well to obtain a homogenous mixture.
- Pack it in tightly closed containers to protect from light and moisture.
How Dashamoola does looks like?
Brown semi solid, sticky paste, with spicy odor and sweet, pungent taste.
Where and how to store it?
Store in a cool place in tightly closed amber colored containers, to protect from light and moisture.
Dose to be given as per age
- 5 to 10 grams, one to two times a day, before or after meals, with milk or water.
- Dose for children below 5 years -1-2 grams, once or twice a day with honey, warm water / milk.
- Dosage for children between 5 - 12 years of age - 5 grams once or twice a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
- There are no side effects but stomach can be upset due to over dose.
Indications of Dasamoolahareethaki
- Inflammatory problems
- Bleeding disorders
- Abdominal lump
- Abdominal disorder due to slow digestion or accumulated toxins
- Disease of spleen
- Abnormality of semen
- Difficult breathing, Asthma
- Urinary infections
- Liver ailments
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Bowel problems
Medicinal Properties of Dasamoolahareethaki
- Anti-Oxidant (Free Radical Scavenging)
- Anti-Inflammatory (Reduces Swelling)
- Antipyretic (Fever Reducing)
- Analgesic (Pain Relieving)
Health benefits of Dasamoolahareethaki
- Especially useful in diseases that occur due to vitiation of Vata and Kapha.
- Fever, sannipat jwar, fever after delivery.
- Inflammation, dizziness
- Low appetite
- Respiratory ailments, cough
Take under medical supervision.