Reference - Ashtanga Hridayam Sutra Sthana 27/36-41- Bhanga Pratishedha Adhyaya
Gandha Thailam is a polyherbal ayurvedic medicated oil taken orally for strengthening bones , joints, fractured bones and weak bones. It supports the bones in osteopenia and osteoporosis and prevents further bone loss. It mainly balances vata and pitta doshas.
- Tila taila - Sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum) - 10 ml
- Cow milk - 40ml
Qty. of Each Ingredients From 3 to 32 is 0.019gm
- Madhuka - Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Nalada (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Valaka (Coleus vettiveroides)
- Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Nakha (Ziziphus mauritiana)
- Misi (Anethum Sowa)
- Plava (Cyperus scariosus)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Balatraya - Bala (Sida cordifolia)
- Atibala (Abutilon indicum)
- Mahabala (Sida rhombifolia)
- Aguru (Aquilaria agallocha)
- Kumkuma (Crocus sativus)
- Chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Sarala (Pinus roxburghii)
- Sarjarasa (Vateria indica)
- Daru (Cedrus deodara)
- Padmakadi Gana - Group of herbs explained as Padmakadi Gana
- Eladi Gana - Group of herbs explained as Eladi group
- Shaileya (Parmelia perlata)
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Shalparni (Desmodium gangeticum)
- Kaseruka (Scirpus grossus)
- Kalanusari (Parmelia perlata)
- Nata (Valeriana wallichii)
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa)
- Ksheerashukla - Kakoli (Roscoea purpurea)
- Durva (Cynodon dactylon)
Description of Main Ingredients
- Tila taila - Sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum)-Sesame is one of the widely used Ayurvedic formulations which is used in various forms. It is rich in VitE, natural antioxidant, contains vitK, magnesium, copper, calcium, iron, zinc and VitB6 which strengthens the bones, muscle and joints. Improves the quality of hair and skin and it calms the Vata and Kapha dosha and increases the pitta.
- Padmakadi Gana - It is a group of Ayurvedic herbs is explained by Vagbhata in Ashtangahrudayam. It is nourishing and balances the pitta dosha. This group of herbs is used in the form of decoction and also as powder. It also acts as a natural galactagogue.
- Madhuka - Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) - It is an important Indian medicine used in Ayurveda. It is a good anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent. It mainly pacifies vata and pitta doshas. Helps in relieving gastric problems, asthma, muscle cramps etc.
- Daru (Cedrus deodara) - Devdaru helps to treat running nose and sinusitis. It can also manage joint problems such as inflammation, arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory property, and treat skin infections due to its antifungal properties.
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos) - It is rich in vitC, vitB1, vitB2, thiamine, riboflavin, carotene, calcium, potassium, fibre and rich in antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory and laxative properties.
Method of Preparation
- Sesame seeds are tied in a cloth and allowed to stay in flowing water and dry it in day sunlight for seven days. Then soaked it in milk and again dried it in day sunlight and then soaked in a decoction of madhuka daily, dried in a shade.
- Once again soaked in milk, dried and removed from its husk and make a powder
- Now mixed the powder form of sesame seeds with fine powder of above given herbs (from Nalanda to Eladi gana herbs) and macerated with milk.
- Then the above herbal oil is cooked with the above remaining drugs (Shaileya to Durva) and add milk, oil in it.
- When oil is left out, filter the oil in a glass bottle and named as Gandha Thailam.
Dosage & Usage
- 5-10 drops once or twice, administered before food with warm milk or warm water.
- 5 drops in Children and 10 drops in Adults.
- Maximum dosage- 30 drops per day in divided forms.
- Use it in a low dose.
- The soft gel capsule can be taken in a dose of 1-2 capsules-twice a day.
- Bone tonic
- Vata and Pitta shamak
- Bone fractures
- Joint dislocation
- Ligament injuries
- Strengthens bone, joints, ligaments
- Fast healing of fractured bones and ligaments
- Heals knee joint injuries
- Reduces the risk of bone degeneration
- Give strength to bone, joint and cartilage
- Brings flexibility to joints
- Relieves recurrent shoulder dislocation
- Early intake prevents osteoporosis
Side Effects & Contraindication
- Mainly no side effects are seen with normal dose.
- If consumed in higher dosage may cause indigestion, nausea etc.
- In pregnancy, use capsules only under doctor supervision.