Guava - Packed with Health Benefits
Guava is a fruit with numerous benefits due to its nutritional and below discussed uses that encourage health. The study of plants or more precisely the fruits is an interesting field as these fruits are and should be an essential part of our dietary habits. Apart from well-known health benefits, fruits also regulate the economies of the world. Here in this article, we will discuss interesting and important facts about Guava.
Amrood is a well-known Hindi name for Guava. Guava is a fruit having a unique fragrance and flavour as well. It is also called a nutrient powerhouse and it is loaded with multiple health benefits. The seeds of guava are hard and round or slightly oval in shape. It has light green or yellow skin and the colour of its flesh varies from white or pink to dark red. Guava is loaded with a powerhouse of nutrients. It is extraordinarily rich in vitamin C, lycopene, and antioxidants that are beneficial for the skin. Guavas are the richest sources of manganese which helps the body to absorb other key nutrients from the food we get. guavas contain folate, a mineral that helps to promote fertility.
Healthy Benefits Of Guava
- Immunity Booster — Guava is a richer source of Vitamin C than oranges. This fruit helps to enhance the immune system and helps to protect the common infections.
- Good for the Brain — Guava is loaded with Vitamin B3 and Vitamin B6. These Vitamins help to enhance blood circulation and improve it for the long term. Guava also helps to enhance cognitive function and helps to relax the nerves also.
- Healthy for the Heart — Guavas help to lower the triglycerides levels and are known to boost heart health. Guava helps to lower the bad cholesterol and increase the good cholesterol.
- Regulates the Blood Sugar Level — The rich fibre of guava fruit helps to regulate the blood sugar level. The glycemic index of guava helps to lower the spike of raising the blood sugar level. So guavas can be the fruit of choice for patients with diabetes.
- Regulates Blood Pressure — Guavas help to improve the balance of sodium and potassium in the body. Guava helps to manage the conditions of hypertension.
- Lowers risk of Cancer — As guava is rich in Lycopene hence it helps to lower the risk of cancer. Guava can be beneficial in patients with prostate cancer. It is evident in various studies that Guava is able to neutralise the free radicals in the body.
- Guava in Pregnancy — Folic acid which is recommended for pregnant women. It helps to protect the newborn from various neurological disorders. Guava is known to develop the nervous system in the body and maintain its health.
- Improves Eyesight — Guava fruit is rich in Vitamin A. Guava is very helpful in people suffering from poor eyesight. Studies show that this fruit is helpful in the conditions of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Weight Loss – Guava helps to lose weight. It is known to regulate metabolism due to its rich fibre content.
- Cough and Cold – Guava contains very high quantities of Vitamin C and iron. Hence these nutrients are very helpful to prevent the viral and common cold. The juice of raw and immature guavas is helpful to pacify the cough and cold.
- Treats Constipation — Guava is able to complete 12 percent of daily intake of fibre. Guava seeds or whole fruit are able to drain out the toxins by relieving constipation.
- Stress Buster — The magnesium present in guava is a well-known stress buster. It helps to give a good energy boost to serotonin and control the level of cortisol.
- Anti-aging Properties – Guavas are rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and antioxidants like carotene and lycopene which in turn help to protect the skin from wrinkles.
- Toothache – Guava leaves inherently possess the tendency to fight against infections and kill germs. Thus the consumption of guava leaves works as a fantastic home remedy for toothaches. The juice of guava leaves has also been known to cure toothaches, swollen gums, and oral.
- Improves Skin complexion and Texture - Guava helps the skin to regain its natural radiance. Guava is also a great source of Vitamin K, which helps to get rid of skin discoloration, dark circles, redness, and acne. Guava leaves and unripe guavas are more astringent in quality, thus it helps to tighten and tone up the facial muscles. Also, it helps to enhance the skin texture.
Guava helps to enhance the immune system and promotes the level of Vitamin C. It helps to increase blood circulation and help to relax the nerves. Guava is loaded with good content of phenols, active antioxidants, and a lot of multiple functional components as discussed above which help to increase human health. The youth these days are attracted to junk food items due to their easy availability and spicy tastes. Gradual intake of these food items sometimes leads to severe complications and a lack of nutrition. Our ancestors were dependent on seasonal fruits to fulfil the demands of nutrition and were comparatively more healthy than today's generations. Apart from all the underlying health benefits of guava one more important thing is guava regulates the economy and various products of guava are there in the market in the form of juices or jams. It is the best fruit that relieves constipation and fills the iron stores in the body.