Home Remedies For Trigeminal Neuralgia
There are many conditions in the world which make your appetite low, slow down your metabolism and make you thin as you don't want to eat. But think about a situation where you crave for things but you can not have a single glass of water in just one go. That's the scary part about trigeminal neuralgia. You want to eat, but the trigeminal nerve is like sorry I can't let you because it hurts. Jokes apasrt, but this situation is serious because it makes patients' lives more miserable then she or he have ever thought. Trigeminal neuralgia is a condition that makes you realise how cables carry the electric signal through a long channel.
As we all know that nerves are for carrying the electric impulses between the brain to various parts of the body but when the protecting sheath of these nerves degrades due to some reasons then situations like trigeminal neuralgia takes place. The protective sheath degradation can be due to a trauma. But sometimes lesions, tumours etc are also responsible for this. Trigeminal neuralgia is tormenting and is the terrible agony a human can have.
Let's enlighten ourselves with causes of trigeminal neuralgia.
Causes For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia is a type of condition that develops due to many reasons but its specific cause is not mentioned in modern science still there is something that is causing the condition. The question is what is the reason? When the answer to this question was deeply searched in Ayurveda then a specific cause for the situation was discovered. The trigeminal neuralgia is the result of excessive vata dosha. As there is excess of vata dosha, the degradation of myelin sheath takes place resulting in the crossing of two electric signals from two different nerves thus causing the electric shock type of pain in this condition. That is how trigeminal neuralgia is understood in Ayurveda.
What is trigeminal neuralgia and its causes are now known to you so let's discuss the most important part and that is home remedies.
Home Remedies For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia is difficult to handle when the actual pain strikes in. That current like sensation and the radiation are like stabbing from within. That's the feeling of trigeminal neuralgia.
But for immediate management of this pain at home there are certain home remedies which can help. These home remedies are as follows:
- Remedy 1: Whenever you feel that the shocking pain is back and it's radiating once again take a cloth, dip it in warm water and squeeze. Then apply it on the region where you feel the pain. It is called a warm compress.
- Remedy 2: Take a small amount of mustard oil and warm it using a water bath method. Once warm you can apply it over the affected area and can massage very gently (keeping in mind not to trigger the pain). Apply this warm oil at least twice daily to have great results.
- Remedy 3: The third remedy includes application of oil. The oil is prepared in a very easy manner and also gives impressive results. So has to be done is mentioned in the steps below:
- Take 100 ml of mustard oil and warm it in a utensil.
- Now add 5-6 garlic cloves in this oil and let them become entirely brown.
- Once they are golden brown, take the utensil off the stove and let the oil cool down a bit.
- After this, transfer it into a glass bottle.
- This oil is to be applied when the pain starts or when the pain triggers. Once applied it will give relief in pain and the shocking sensation will be gone.
Do's and Don'ts For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Do's and Don'ts are there for each and every disease and most of them are to be followed to get quick relief in your condition. These do's and don'ts of trigeminal neuralgia are having two categories that are diet and lifestyle related do's and don'ts. So let's discuss them in detail.
Lifestyle related Do's and Don'ts
- One should avoid direct exposure to a cold environment.
- Sleep on time and maintain a proper sleep wake cycle.
- Maintain a proper lifestyle.
- Do yoga and other form of exercise on regular basis.
- Stress less as it can trigger the pain.
- Anger management in cases of anger issues is must.
- Watch for your bowel movements and bowel emptying.
Diet related Do's and Don'ts
- Drink not cold not hot water on regular basis.
- Stop intake of dairy products in excess.
- Have food which is easy to digest.
- Avoid eating heavy pulses like kidney beans, black lentils etc.
- In vegetables avoid eggplant and capsicums.
- Don't have food which is having hard consistency to chew.
- Stop the intake of all type of packed and processed food articles.
- Use cow's ghee in your diet.