How to Treat Typhoid in Ayurveda?
Typhoid fever is most prevalent in the developing countries of Asia like Africa, India, caused by a gram-negative bacterium Salmonella Typhi. It is a transmitted communicable disease caused by consuming contaminated food and impure water. The incubation period of this disease is from 7 to 14 days.
We have discussed various important points which include Ayurvedic aspects, symptoms, causes, useful herbs and some effective herbal and home remedies which can help a patient to cure the typhoid disease.
Typhoid is a bacterial infection which is caused by Salmonella typhi bacteria. The bacteria live in the intestine or bloodstream of humans. Typhoid is a highly contagious disease. The infection is passed through contaminated food and water; it is more spread in places where hand washing is less frequent. Some people carry the bacteria without developing their symptoms.
Urbanization and climate change have the potential to increase the burden of typhoid globally. In developing areas of Africa, South-East Asia, the Americas, and the Western Pacific regions, the disease continues to be a public health problem. WHO estimates the global typhoid fever disease burden at 11-20 million cases annually, resulting in about 128000-161000 deaths per year. 1
Ayurvedic Aspect of Typhoid
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health and personalized medicine. It is one of the oldest medical systems. Ayurveda believes in the balance between mind, body, and soul. This balance is maintained by maintaining a balance between Dosha (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). Each dosha has dominating factors like Air is a dominating factor of Vata, fire is a dominating factor of Pitta, and water is a dominating factor of Kapha.
According to Ayurveda typhoid is known as "Manthar Jawar". Food and water which is contaminated by infected Mala (stool), Mutra (urine), Saweda (sweating). Eating this contaminated food and water bacteria enters the body and starts growing in the intestine and enters in the intestine walls. Which starts imbalance the Rasa, Rakta, and Dosha then it affects the end part of the small intestine. If it is not treated it can create a hole in the intestine. If this damage increases patients start excreting blood mix stool.
Causes of Typhoid
- Bacteria: Typhoid is caused by bacteria name as Salmonella typhi.
- Oral transmission route: the bacteria that cause typhoid spreads through contaminated food or water and occasionally through direct contact with someone infected. The majority of people in industrialized countries pick up typhoid bacteria while travelling and spread it to others through faceable route.
Symptoms of Typhoid
1st week symptoms
- Hyperpyrexia [103 F-104.9 F (40.5C)]
- Tongue coated & reddish
- Red spots on neck, abdomen & chest area
2nd week symptoms
- Delirium (mental confusion)
- Drowsiness (feeling sleepy)
- Furrowed tongue, dry with reddish coloration
- Dryness of mouth
- Dicrotic pulse
- Blood mixed stool
At 3rd week fever if it is left untreated
- Excessive bleeding
- Increased pulse rate
- Acute pain in abdomen
- Tendency of raised body temperature during morning hours and night
- Generalised peritonitis
- Excessive weakness
- Tremors in hands &feet
- Intestinal bleeding
Risk Factors of Typhoid
Typhoid fever remains a serious threat especially in the developing world. Worldwide, children are at greatest risk of getting the disease; they generally have milder symptoms than adults do.
- In contact with someone infected.
- Poor hygiene
- Some places have higher incidence of typhoid which includes Africa, India, South America, and Southeast Asia.
- People also get this bacteria from contaminated water or food
- Typhoid infection occurs in school kids and young adults.
- Common in people who consume outside food.
- Incidence of this infection occurs in between July to September.
Complications of Typhoid
Typhoid cause most severe complication is the development of perforation in the intestine, which can lead to the contents of intestine leak into the abdominal cavity. It may also result in internal bleeding. Other less common complication includes:
- Intestinal tuberculosis
- Toxaemia (blood poisoning by toxins from a bacterial infection )
- Haemorrhage (bleeding from ruptured blood vessel)
- Peritonitis (inflammation of the peritoneum)
- Intestinal perforation (a hole forms through the stomach)
- Nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys)
Dignosis of Typhoid
Diagnosis can be made any blood, bone marrow or stool cultures and with the Widal test.
- Widal Test: Widal test is used to identify specific antibodies in the serum of people with typhoid by using antigen-antibody interaction.
- Typhidot: The test is based on the presence of specific IgM and IgG antibodies. This test is carried out on a cellulose nitrate membrane where a specific S.typhi outer membrane protein is attached as fixed test lines.
- Tubex Test: Contains two types of particles brown magnetic particles coated with antigen and blue indicators particles coated with O9 antibody.
Herbs for Typhoid Treatment
Giloy botanical name is Tinospora cordifolia. Giloy is useful to reduce Ama (toxins) and other microbes that are responsible for causing fever and other infections. Giloy contains various properties like an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and immune-stimulating herb. This herb contains chemical compounds like Berberine, tinosporin, palmetin, mangoflorine, ethanol which is beneficial in every kind of fever and infection.
Tulsi botanical name is Ocimum sanctum. Tulsi plant has many medicinal properties. The leaves are nerve tonic and help sharpen memory. The leaves of tulsi are used in many specific fevers. In the case of acute fevers, a decoction of the leaves boiled with cardamom powder in half a liter of water and mixed with sugar and milk will help in bringing down the temperature.
3. Curcuma (Haldi)
Curcuma botanical name is Curcuma longa. Curcuma helps in blood purifier which helps in removing toxins from the body. It helps in stimulating digestive fire and helps in every type of fever.
Herbal Remedies for Typhoid by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda treats people accordingly Ayurvedic principle. Herbal remedies drive from natural herbs which are highly effective and work according to the disease. These herbal remedies are prepared according to the Ayurvedic principle. These herbal remedies not only helps to get rid of the diseases but these remedies work on the root cause of the disease and help in nourishing the body and provide strength to the body. These remedies have no side effects. These herbal remedies are 100% safe and secure. For, typhoid mainly 3 herbal remedies which help to get rid of this disease:
1. Giloy Capsules
Giloy is useful in every kind of fever. It contains antibiotic properties that help in fighting typhoid bacteria. It helps in boosting the immune system.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules daily with plain water after meals.
2. Tulsi Capsules
Tulsi has very medicinal use. It is believed to relieve ever day infections like the common cold, flu, and headache. Tulsi has potent antibacterial activity against S. Typhi. It helps in boosting the immune system.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules with milk or plain water after meals.
3. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin helps in purifying the blood. The herb's volatile oil functions as an external antibiotic help in preventing bacterial infection like typhoid. It contains antibacterial, antispasmodic, anti-allergic properties which help in typhoid fever.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules daily with plain water after meals.
Home Remedies for Typhoid
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV): ACV helps in maintaining a proper pH in the body. It draws out heat from the skin and helps in reducing body temperature. Minerals are lost during Typhoid is compensate by having ACV. Mix a teaspoon of ACV in a glass of water and add honey if needed and drink it before meals.
- Garlic: Garlic has antioxidant properties which help in recovery from typhoid. It helps in boosting the immune system and helps in detoxifying the body. Eat two cloves of Garlic on empty stomach. Not advisable for pregnant women and children.
- Bananas: Bananas have pectin, a soluble fiber that helps the intestine absorb fluids, helps in curing diarrhea. Potassium in the fruit helps in replacing electrolytes lost during loss motion. It is best to eat when having typhoid.
- Pomegranates: It helps in preventing dehydration. One can have juice or eat it as a fruit.
- Cloves: Cloves help in fighting typhoid bacteria. Boil water with cloves, strain in a cup and have two cups daily, prepare fresh every time.
- Fluids: Drink plenty of fluids that can avoid the dehydration situation.
- Pasteurized dairy products
- Food that is cooked and served hot
- Hard-cooked eggs
- Fruits and vegetables washed in clean water
- Bush meat (bats or other wild animals)
- Unpasteurized dairy products
- Condiments made with fresh ingredients
- Peeling form fruits or vegetables
- Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables
- Raw or undercooked meat
- Raw or soft-cooked eggs
- Food from street vendors
- Food served at room temperature
- Pasteurized milk
- Bottle and sealed carbonated and soft drinks
- Hot coffee or tea
- Bottled water (sealed)
- Ice made with bottled or purified water
- Fountain drinks
- A Drink made with tap or well water
- Flavored ice creams
- Unpasteurized milk
- Ice made with tap water
- Tap water
Lifestyle Modification for Typhoid
- Practice hygiene and cleanliness
- Try to avoid close contact with an infected person
- Wash your hands very often
- If soap and water is not available, try to use hand sanitizer
Typhoid is a bacterial infection caused by salmonella Typhi. It can worsen the symptoms if it is left untreated. Using herbal remedies from Planet Ayurveda help in treating Typhoid effectively without any side effect.