Is Shatavari a Female Aphrodisiac to Improve Female Libido?
The sexual desire in females tends to get fluctuate throughout their lives because of physical and emotional factors. Low libido or lack of sexual desire is not a life threatening problem but causes distress.
Sexual debility is a multi-dimensional issue which is often an indication of hormonal imbalances in the body. The first step of the treatment is to determine these causes and once the causes are found, then it is necessary to make essential changes in the lifestyle.
What are the Causes of Low Libido in Females?
The physical desires of a woman fluctuate significantly and vary according to the different phases of her life. There are hormonal changes due to menstruation, pregnancy or menopause. Factors such as aging, trauma, illness, the effects of certain medications, job stress, bad lifestyle and eating habits are some of the major reasons.
- Physical Problems: Physical problems such as structural anomalies or diseases that affect the circulation and make the intercourse a painful process.
- Hormonal Changes: A woman’s body undergoes various hormonal changes during different stages of life such as pregnancy, menopause, breast feeding and impact their sex drive.
- Psychological Changes: Stress, depression, anxiety, low self esteem can affect the sex drive in women.
- Emotional Factors: Lack of emotional connection, frequent conflicts in the relationship, trust deficit, etc. are the factors that are responsible for the low libido in females.
Other Causes are:
- Menopausal transition
- Low or imbalanced ojas
- Excessive toxins or ama
- Improper diet and lifestyle
- Sexual abuse
What are the Symptoms of Loss of Libido in Females?
- Sexual dysfunction
- Physical weakness
- Painful intercourse
- Mood changes
- Lower confidence and self esteem
How Ayurveda can Help in the Treatment of Female Libido?
As per illustrations of Ayurveda, it is caused due to the excess of Vata dosha in the body. Generally, stress and depression are also associated with this condition.
In Ayurveda, Vajikarna or Vrishya chikitsa branch of Ayurveda specifically deals with the treatment of this disorder, addressing the use of aphrodisiacs and strategies to raise the libido levels and virility. There is a clear mention of some herbs in Ayurvedic texts that can act as aphrodisiacs.
Is Shatavari a Female Aphrodisiac to Improve Female Libido?
Herbs that boost sex power are known as aphrodisiacs. Yes, Shatavari is a female aphrodisiac that can be used to improve female libido. It has been used for thousands of years as a general female tonic and for balancing the hormones.
(Reference: Dhanwantri Nighantu, Shlok No. 323, 325)
Meaning: According to this shloka, shatavari is cold in potency, has bitter taste, useful in tuberculosis and blood disorders. It balances Vata and Pitta doshas, acts as aphrodisiac, rejuvenating in nature and increases memory, undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion, increases intelligence, good for heart, useful in hemorrhoids, diseases related to eyes and colon.
Botanical Description of Asparagus racemosus
It is commonly found at low altitudes in shade throughout Asia, Africa and Australia. It is a woody climber which grows up to 1-2 m in height. Its leaves are like pine needles, small and uniform. The flowers are white in colour having small spikes.
It belongs to the genus Asparagus and family Asparagaceae.
What are the Medicinal Properties of Asparagus racemosus?
- Rasa (Taste): Bitter and Sweet
- Veerya (Energy): Cooling
- Vipaka (Post digestive effect): Cooling
- Guna (Quality): Heavy and unctuous
- Effect on the tissues: Beneficial for all the 7 tissues
- Effect on Tridosha: Balances Vata and Pitta dosha
The meaning of word 'Shatavari' means who possesses hundred husbands or acceptable to many. It means that this herb has the ability to increase vitality. It is an excellent tonic that has a nourishing and lubricating effect on the tissues.
- Shatavari is a source of phyto-estrogens, which are beneficial for balancing the female hormones. Besides balancing the female hormones, it increases the energy levels in females and has a significant effect on the functioning of the reproductive system.
- Shatavari is known for increasing blood flow to the genital area which increases the sexual sensation and vaginal lubrication.
- It is known to have hormone balancing effect due to which it is beneficial for women who experience loss of libido due to menopause.
- The low levels of estrogen produce vaginal dryness which leads to painful intercourse. It results in low sexual arousal or desire in females. Asparagus root has estrogenic properties which help in regulating sexual desire and mood in females. It moistens the dry tissues of female reproductive organs.
- The presence of various mucilages, phytochemicals, saponins, carbohydrates makes it a good aphrodisiac and tonic for females. It cures inflammation of female sexual organs and enhances ovulation.
- In today’s lifestyle, the major cause of low libido in females is chronic stress. A. racemosus acts as an adaptogen that improves the body’s ability to reduce stress. This herb improves anti-oxidant defenses, increases anti-oxidant enzymes and reduces the damage caused by free radicals. It also improves the production of chemicals in the brain that have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects.
- These properties of shatavari are due to the presence of polyphenols, flavonoids and saponins. They reduce the production of stress hormones. Hence shatavari can also be used for the management of mental depression and stress, which are the main reasons for low libido in females.
- Apart from increasing libido in females, A. racemosus is also beneficial in the disorders such as uterine bleeding, weakness, frequent miscarriages, menstrual irregularities etc.
Thus, Shatavari is one of the best options for balancing Pitta dosha, soothing Vata dosha, calming the mind and rejuvenating the female reproductive system.
Shatavari Capsules by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda's Shatavari Capsules contain 500 mg standardized extract in vegetarian capsules without any preservatives or chemicals or raw herbs. These capsules are safe to use and act as an effective herbal supplement for low libido.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile