Reference - Sarngadhara Samhita (Madhyam Khand) 9/ 169-171
Jatyadi Tailam is a herbal oil mentioned in our classical texts for healing different types of wound. It is primarily used for healing bleeding and non-bleeding piles, fissure and fistula. It is externally applied to the affected wound and injured area. It mainly acts on kapha dosha among all three dosha (vata, pita, kapha). In this article we will discuss Jatyadi tailam composition, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Jatyadi tail is a medicated oil preparation which contains nineteen ingredients. As the name suggests “jati” (Myristica fragrans) is its main content which helps in curing ulcers, wounds, blisters and bite wounds. It helps to reduce swelling and inflammation around anal region. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
According to classics Jatyadi tailam is described by Acharya Sarngdhara in vitiated kapha and medas dosha. It is applied over the affected area (wound).
Classically it is indicated in following conditions-
- Nadi vrana (sinus)
- Saphotala (papules)
- Kachu (itching)
- Dagdha (burns)
- Shashtar prahar (trauma)
- Dushth vrana (wounds)
- Nakh, dant kshat (nail, teeth trauma)
Kalak Dravya (Paste)- 10 Grams Each Following Drug
- Jati (Myristica fragrans)
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Patola (Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Nakatmala (leaves of Pongamia pinnata)
- Sikta (honey bee wax)
- Madhuk (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Kustha (Sausseria leppa)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Daru haridra (Berberis aristata)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Katurohini (Picrorhiza kurroa)
- Padmak (Prunus puddum)
- Lodhara (Symplocos racemosa)
- Abhya (Terminalia chebula)
- Nilotpala (Nymphaea stellata)
- Tutha (Copper sulphate)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus)
- Til tailam (sesame oil) - 768ml
Water (3 Litres)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Jati - This exhibits a cytotoxic effect and chemo protective property. It decreases pain and inflammation in any part of the body. It helps to fight against bacteria and is a rich source of antioxidants.
- Nimba - It helps in healing all types of ulcers even present in the digestive tract and kills microorganisms. Due to its antibacterial properties, it maintains oral hygiene and health (prevents plaque formation in mouth)
- Patola - It is used to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. It also acts as neuro-protective and hepato-protective. It improves blood circulation so it acts as a blood purifier. Among all dosha it pacifies vata dosha from the body.
- Nakatmala - It is used in managing piles, fissure, tumors, skin diseases, and ulcers. It is helpful in various types of skin infections as it has healing power to correct skin texture. It manages indigestion and improves appetite.
- Sikta - It acts as a protective barrier and works as anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral. It prevents infections and protects the stomach from ulcers. It has a softening property and enhances skin elasticity.
- Madhuk - It is a traditional medicine used in liver, lungs, circulatory and kidney diseases. It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It prevents ulcers, heat burns, eczema, etc.
- Kustha - It prevents growth of bacteria due to its antimicrobial microbial activity. It reduces pain and is helpful in leprosy, psoriasis, eczema, arthritis, etc. It helps healing of skin ulcers, piles, and obesity.
- Haridra - It has anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic and antioxidant properties. It improves depression and arthritis. It contains a chemical curcumin which helps in reducing swelling.
- Daru haridra - It enhances skin quality and quickly heals skin wounds, ulcers, syphilis, fistula, etc. It has antifungal and antiviral properties so helpful in skin and ophthalmological conditions.
- Manjistha - It improves digestive fire and acts as rakta shodhak (blood purifier) which mainly acts on aggravated pitta dosha. It has anti platelet, anti-stress and anti-acne properties.
- Katurohini - It is used as an appetizer and helps to treat jaundice. Mainly used for liver dysfunction such as fatty liver, liver cirrhosis and gastric dysfunctioning.
- Padmak - It is beneficial for bleeding disorders, burning sensation and skin diseases (itching and irritation). It helps in healing insect bites and improves skin complexion as it is pitta balancing in nature.
- Lodhara - It shows anti-ulcer, anti-acne, anthelmintic and anti-oxidant properties. It cures from blemishes, dark spots, and pigmentation and soothes skin.
- Abhaya - It helps in increasing collagen contents in tissues which helps in healing of wounds. It softens skin, improves texture, and brightens overall appearance.
- Nilotpala - It has astringent activity so helps in digestion. It helps in improving skin texture, complexion, removing dark spots and wrinkles due to its antioxidant effect.
- Tutha - It is used as a germicide, antiseptic agent and skin conditioning agent. It has anti-ageing, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Sariva - It has refreshing and cooling action so it helps in pacification of vitiated pitta dosha. It acts as a blood purifying agent so helps in skin related issues like texture, spots, burns, etc.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Jatyadi oil are given as following-
- Firstly, collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- Then take sesame oil and water in a clean vessel.
- Then add powdered kalka (paste) drugs to the solution.
- Keep stirring the solution continuously and properly.
- Cook the mixture at low flame till it reaches its paka lakshan.
- Leave the solution undisturbed for 24 hrs. and then filter the oil obtained.
- Store the oil in a clean glass airtight container and keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of jatyadi tailam are given as following-
- Boosts fast healing process.
- It has antiseptic and analgesic properties.
- Have antihistamine properties.
- Acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Have antimicrobial and antibacterial activity.
The various indications of Jatyadi tailam is as given following-
- Non healing wounds
- Burns and scalds
- As indicated for external application so no such contraindications.
- If internally used side effects may appear.
Dosage / Usage
Externally or locally applied to wounds or ulcers (affected areas).
Tikat (Bitter), Katu (Pungent)
As mentioned above, Jatyadi tailam is a herbal oil formulation which is used to treat various external wounds. It is prepared with tail (sesame oil) as its base. It works speedily for healing purposes. It removes itching, irritation and burning lesions. As no side effects are found of jatyadi oil till now so it can be used very efficiently.