Reference - Sarngadhara samhita madhyama khand 9/ 148-152
Marichadi Thailam is a medicated oil preparation mentioned in classical texts, which was widely used in traditional time for various skin related issues. This oil is prepared by using mustard oil as base. It is used topically on the skin to get relief from wounds, cuts, burns, injury, etc. So in this article we will discuss Marichadi thailam ingredients, method of preparation, benefits and dosage.
Marichadi thailam is herbal formulation which is basically used for dermatological conditions such as leprosy, dermatitis, eczema, scabies, pruritus, etc. as it helps in balancing aggravated kapha dosha. It is applied locally or instilled in the nasal page in the form of drops. It applied over the head region helps to manage cough, sinusitis, and asthma like breathing disorders.
According to classics, Marichadi thailam is given by Acharya Sarngadhara in skin related issues. Among all three dosha (vata, pita and kapha) it mainly pacifies vitiated kapha dosha.
Some of the indications given in classics are-
- Kushta (leprosy)
- Pundreek kushta
- Vicharchika (psoriasis)
- Pama (scabies)
- Switra (vitiligo)
- Rakat mandal (red patches)
- Kachu (dermatitis)
The various ingredients for preparation of Marichadi thailam are given as follows-
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Hartal (Purifies orpiment)
- Trivrit (Operculena terpenthum)
- Raktachandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Mansheela (Purified realgar)
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Vishala (Citrullus colocynthis)
- Karveera (Nerium indicum)
- Kushta (Saussrea lappa)
- Araka (Calotropis procera)
- Goomayrasa (Cow dung water)
- Gomutra (Cow’s urine)
- Mustard oil (Brassica junica)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Marich - It is useful for skin related issues such as dark spots, dryness, aging, etc. It is extremely effective in respiratory disorders like cold, cough, congestion, and sinusitis and even in managing asthma.
- Hartal - It is pungent, astringent and hot in nature. It is useful in skin diseases with itching, cough, cold, bronchitis, syphilis, etc. It helps in purification of blood and balances pitta dosha.
- Trivrit - It helps to remove toxins from the body, act as antipyretic and anti-inflammatory. It is good for healing infected wounds and removes worm infestations.
- Raktachandana - It helps to remove inflammation and pain like symptoms. It has a cooling effect so it is good for skin health and very effective in blemishes and aches.
- Musta - It corrects the overall body’s metabolism, promotes healthy skin and inflammatory response. It helps in managing kapha and pitta related diseases. It reduces burning sensation and excessive thirst.
- Mansheela - It helps in managing eye and skin related disorders. It removes toxins from the body and corrects bronchitis, insomnia, and psychological conditions.
- Jatamansi - It prevents bacterial, fungal infections and removes toxins from the body. It helps in healing wounds and relief from stress, anxiety and depression.
- Haridra - It removes toxins from the body and promotes healthy skin. Prevents itching, allergy, infections and skin disorders. It promotes wound healing, reduces pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Daruharidra - It is a bitter tonic used as antiseptic and antipyretic. It is used to manage infections, ulcers, boils, wounds and ear problems. Also effective in psoriasis and edema.
- Vishala - It acts as an immunity booster and antioxidant. It is natural antiseptic and kills viruses and bacteria. It manages skin diseases and intestinal worm infestations.
- Karaveera - It reduces pain, swelling and acts as an antiseptic agent. It is useful in asthma, epilepsy, ringworm, leprosy and ulcer. It stimulates muscles and relieves pain.
- Kushta - It prevents growth of bacteria, reduces pain, inflammation and leprosy. It increases blood supply to the skin surface.
- Araka - It acts as an antioxidant and is rich in various vitamins, minerals. Useful in skin disorders, worm infestations, cough and bleeding disorders. It has a hot potency, light in nature.
- Goo Mayrasa - It decreases inflammation and boosts the immune system. It mainly acts on vata and kapha and increases pitta dosha. It is rich in many beneficial microbes and nutrients.
- Gomutra - It is cleansing and detoxifying in nature, it helps to nourish hair and skin. It has antimicrobial and anthelmintic properties. It has antioxidant effects and reduces stress level.
- Mustard oil - It strengthens red blood cells, prevents bacteria, fungus and it boosts the immune system. It contains vitamin E so helps in hydrating skin.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Marichadi Thailam are given as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs and wash them properly.
- Then make kalka (paste) of all the drugs mentioned above and add water in it.
- Then add gomutra and gomay rasa (cow’s urine and dung).
- Boil the solution till it remains one fourth in quantity.
- At last mix it with mustard oil which is used as a base.
- Mix the solution properly and filter it in a clean vessel.
- Then store the oil obtained in an airtight glass container and keep away from direct sunlight.
The properties of Marichadi thailam are given as following-
- It is analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- Have an anthelmintic and antiseptic effect.
- It acts as a cooling agent.
- It has antioxidant properties.
The various indications of Marichadi thailam are given as following-
- Allergic reactions
- Nasal polyps
- Tinea infection
The conditions when Marichadi oil not given are-
- In sensitive skin.
- Keep out of reach of children
- Burning sensation
Dosage / Usage
Externally or locally applied according to the affected area. It can be used as nasya (nasal installation).
Above mentioned oil is a classical herbal formulation which is mainly used in skin related issues i.e. leprosy and its sub types. It is prepared as mustard oil and its base with various natural herbs. With skin related issues, it also helps in respiratory system related disorders. So, this oil can be used for skin issues under any physician's guidance.