Reference: Sharangdhar Madhyama Khanda 8/5-9
Kantakari Avaleha is an eminent available as herbal jam. This Ayurvedic medicine is effective for Asthma and other respiratory conditions.
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) – 4.8 kg is added to 12.288 liters of water, boiled and reduced to 3.072 liters. Filtered. This Kashayam is added with the following:-
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – 48 g
- Chavya (Piper cubeba) – 48 g
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylancia) – 48 g
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus) – 48 g
- Karkatashrungi (Pistacia integerrima) – 48 g
- Trikatu Churna (Pepper, Long Pepper and Ginger) – 48 grams each.
- Dhanvayasa (Alhagi pseudalhagi) – 48 g
- Bharngi (Clerodendron serratum) – 48 g
- Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) – 48 g
- Shati (Hedychium spicatum) – 48 g
- Sugar – 960 g
- Ghee – 384 g
- Sesame oil – 384 g
Method of Preparation
To 12.288 liters of water, about 4.8 kg of Kantakari is added and allowed to boil and reduce to 3.072 liters. It is then filtered. This Kashayam (Decoction) is added with Guduchi, Chavya, Chitraka, Musta, Karkatashrungi, Trikatu Churna, Dhanvayasa, Bharngi, Rasna, Shati, Sugar, Ghee and Sesame oil. The mixture is then heated till semisolid consistency is obtained.
It is then taken out of fire and the fine powder of Vamshalochana (Bambusa bambos) - 192 g and Long pepper - 192 g herbs are added.
Consume 6-12 grams of this herbal jam along with honey / warm water / warm milk.
Dose for children below 5 years : 1-2 grams, 1-2 times a day, along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
Dose for children between 5-12 years : 5 grams 1-2 times a day along with a teaspoon of honey or warm water / milk.
- Kantakari Avaleha is widely used remedy for respiratory condition.
- It also act as natural bronchodilator and mucolytic.
- Useful treatment in curing bronchitis, COPD, cough, hiccups and cold.
Contraindications / Side Effects
It's over dose may result in gastric complaints like burning sensation in stomach.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile