Reference - Bhaishajya-Ratnavali Kasarogadhikar 443/46
Kas kuthar ras is an effective remedy used in treating acute or chronic cough. This is a herbo-mineral Ayurvedic formulation.
- Shuddha Hingula (Red sulphide of Mercury)
- Shuddha Gandhak (Purified Sulphur)
- Shuddha Tankan (Citrus tankan)
- Maricha Churna (Powder of Piper nigrum)
- Shunthi Churna (Powder of Zingiber officinale)
- Pippali Churna (Powder of Piper longum)
Description of Ingredients
- Shuddha Hingula - This is known as red sulphide of mercury and used in treating various digestive problems. This ingredient has tikta (bitter), katu (pungent) and kshaya (astringent) taste. It is also beneficial in calming the Kapha dosha. This relieves from cough, cold and dyspnea.
- Shuddha Gandhak - This is a pure form of Sulphur and used as a Rasayan in various diseases. This is helpful in treating mandagni (Low digestive fire) by enhancing digestive fire. This pacifies kapha dosha and is useful in Cough.
- Shuddha Tankan - This is an Ayurvedic calcined formulation used in productive cough, wheezing, breathing problems, abdominal pain etc. But the main action of this ingredient is expectorant that is useful in relieving cough.
- Maricha Churna - This ingredient is cultivated for its fruit and widely used as a spice and in various Indian medicines as a main ingredient. This removes toxins from the body. This is also used as an Expectorant used in cough, cold and chest congestion.
- Shunthi Churna - This has various functions and benefits in its different forms. It acts as the best appetizer. This is used in relieving stomach pain. Dry Shunthi is useful in treating coughs and colds.
- Pippali Churna - This is used as an ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines since centuries. This is used in the treatment of digestive systems like dyspepsia, indigestion, flatulence, diarrhea and colic pain. Along with Pippali is widely used in respiratory conditions such as cough, cold, sore throat, dyspnea etc.
Method of Preparation
- Take all the above ingredients in equal quantity.
- Give proper frolement to Gandhak and Hingula in a Kharal yantra.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients in this mixture.
- Give 1 bhavna with water and make 250 mg tablets.
- Let these tablets dry and keep in a glass container.
Kaskuthar rasa is a classical Ayurvedic formulation widely used in acute or chronic cough since centuries. The ingredients in this formulation are effective in treating respiratory and digestive problems. They stimulate the digestive fire and improve digestion power. They pacify Kapha and pitta dosha. Trikatu that is Shunthi, Pippali and Maricha act as the best ingredients in treating respiratory ailments.
- Sore throat
1 tablet twice a day with the extracts of Adraka (Zingiber officinale).
It should taken under medical supervision.