Reference - Bhaishajya-Ratnavali Mukharogadhikar 960/94-95
Kshargutika is an Ayurvedic formulation. This is a classical remedy used in the treatment of every throat and oral diseases.
- Pippali (Piper nigrum)
- Chavya (Piper chava)
- Chitrakmool (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Talishpatra (Abies webbiana)
- Choti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum verum)
- Palash Kshar (Butea monosperma)
- Ghantapatlakshar (Alkali of Stereospermum suaveolens)
- Yavakshar (Hordeum vulgare)
- Purana Gud (Old jaggery)
Description of Ingredients
- Pippali - This is an effective herb for throat infections. It is helpful in sore throat, tonsillitis, stomatitis, mouth ulcers. This herb is also effective in indigestion, anorexia, vomiting etc.
- Chavya - This herb is useful in anorexia, constipation, indigestion, abdominal pain, bloating etc. This is also effective in throat infections.
- Chitrakmool - The roots of this herb are very beneficial in a variety of diseases. This is one of the good digestive and carminative herbs used in the treatment of indigestion, bloating, flatulence etc. This herb is also beneficial in mouth problems. It has an expectorant effect also.
- Shunthi - This is one of the best ingredients in throat infections. It acts as an expectorant and helps in cough and cold. It is a good appetizer and digestant.
- Talishpatra - It is an Ayurvedic medicinal plant. Its leaves are used in the treatment of respiratory diseases such as cough, cold, asthma, chronic bronchitis and upper respiratory infections.
- Choti Elaichi - It is used in the treatment of throat infections, mouth ulcers, indigestion etc. It has a strong, unique taste and extensively soothing aroma. This is useful in dyspnea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and used to expel the phlegm out of the body.
- Dalchini - This is an aromatic spice obtained from the bark of severe trees of the cinnamon. It helps to maintain the blood sugar level, control, vomiting, reduces breathlessness etc. It is also used in common cold, cough and tonsillitis.
- Palash Kshar - This is an alkaline Ayurvedic medicine in powder from. It is used in the treatment of kidney, spleen and liver disorders. It is a natural diuretic. It is used in Ayurvedic treatment for chronic fever, oedema, malabsorption syndrome etc.
- Ghantapatlakshar - It has anti-inflammatory action and is used over various inflammations. It is useful in balancing Vata dosha. It is also helpful in piles and acts as a blood purifier.
- Yavakshar - It is an Ayurvedic medicine, used in treating urinary diseases, abdominal pain, bloating etc. This alkali is prepared from the whole plant of barley. It is beneficial in throat obstruction, coughing etc.
Method of Preparation
- Take all these ingredients in equal quantity (1 part each).
- Make a fine powder from all the ingredients.
- Take gud and little water in a stainless steel container and make sugar syrup over flames.
- When this preparation becomes very thick then adds all the above mentioned ingredients in this sugar syrup.
- Make a tablet like a size of ber (Indian jujube) and cover it with Erandapatra (leaves of Ricinus communis) and keep this formulation under the tree (Ghantapatla tree) for 1 week.
- After 1 week keep this in a glass container.
Kshargutika is a classical Ayurvedic formulation. It is used in the treatment of Throat infections. This formulation shows great effect in chronic cough. It is useful in balancing kapha dosha. The ingredients are beneficial in sore throat, tonsillitis, mouth ulcers, bad breath, pharyngitis etc.
- Mouth ulcers
It should be taken sublingually 2- 3 times a day (2- 3 tablets).
It should be taken under medical advise.