Reference: Bhaishajya ratnavali, Atisararogadhikar
Kutajarishta (Kutajarishtam) is Ayurvedic medicine in liquid form having 5 - 10 % of self-generated alcohol in it. This self-generated alcohol and the water in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol with dissolved active herbal components to the body. It is useful in Ayurvedic treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, IBS, fever, bleeding, Crohn's disease, and haemorrhoids. This liquid also strengthens the digestive power.
It has ability to manage vata and kapha in body.
Kutajarishta is enriched with certain properties like it is astringent, stimulant, detoxifier, anti-bacterial, anti-dysenteric and digestive etc.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Kutaja||Holarrhena antidysenterica||Stem bark||4.8 kg|
|2.||Dry grapes||Vitis vinifera||Fruit||2.8 kg|
|3.||Madhuka||Madhuca indica||Flower||480 g|
|4.||Gambhari||Gmelina arborea||Stem bark/root||480 g|
|5.||Water for Decoction||49.152 kg|
|7.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||flower||960 g|
Methods of Preparation
Coarse powder of herbs like Kutaja, Dry grapes, Madhuka, Gambhari are made and then this powder is added with water, boiled to make decoction, which is reduced to specified quantity (21.288 liters) and then it is filtered. To it, jaggery is added and dissolved, then it is filtered and after that Dhataki is added to it. After all this it is kept closed in a clean air tight container for a period of one month for a process of fermentation.
After a month, it is taken out, filtered and preserved.
Kutajarishta is extensively used Ayurvedic treatment for conditions like diarrhea, dysentery, fever, bleeding disorders of intestine, irritable bowel syndrome, crohn's disease, and haemorrhoids.
- This Ayurvedic medicine strengthens the digestive power.
- It can treat loose motions and bloody dysentery.
- Kutajarishta is good Ayurvedic remedy in malabsorption syndrome.
- It can treat diarrhea with blood by reducing intestinal motility.
- This Ayurvedic medicine is effective in dysentery and chronic diarrhea.
- Kutajarishta is used in chronic fever.
- Useful medicine in case of Bleeding Piles with discharge of mucus.
- It has properties which makes it able to improve digestion, appetite and assimilation.
- Kutajarishta is also useful in cough & anorexia.
- This Ayurvedic medicine has therapeutic effects in Ulcerative Colitis.
- Use 15-25 ml once or twice a day, advised usually after food.
- In case there is a need, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water.
- There are no as such side effects noticed.
- A very high dose of Kutajarishta may cause constipation.
- It is bitter in taste which can cause nausea, vomiting and tastelessness.
- Lower dose of this medicine is safe to be used in children above 5 years of age.