Lodhrasava (Lodhrasavam) is a liquid Ayurvedic medicine used in gynecological ailments, anemia, obesity etc. Lodhrasavam encloses 5 - 10 % of self-generated alcohol in it. The self-generated alcohol and the water in the product work as a media to carry water and alcohol dissolved active herbal components to the body. Lodhrasavam is also named as Lodhrasav, Lodhrasava.
Reference: Ashtanga Hridaya, Chikitsa sthana 12/24-27, Ayurvedic Formulary of India
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Lodhra||Symplocos racemosa||Stem Bark||12 g|
|2.||Murva||Marsdenia tenacissima||Root||12 g|
|3.||Shati||Hedychium spicatum||Rhizome||12 g|
|4.||Vidanga||Embelia ribes||Fruit||12 g|
|5.||Bharngi||Clerodendron serratum||Root||12 g|
|6.||Tagara (Valerian Root)||Valeriana wallichii||Rhizome||12 g|
|7.||Nakha||Capparis sepiaria||Fruit||12 g|
|8.||Kramuka (Betel nut)||Areca catechu||12 g|
|9.||Priyangu||Callicarpa macrophylla||Flower||12 g|
|10.||Musta||Cyperus rotundus||Root||12 g|
|11.||Kutaj||Holarrhena antidysenterica||Seeds||12 g|
|12.||Chitraka||Plumbago zeylanica||12 g|
|13.||Triphala (Haritaki, Vibhitaki, Amla)||Terminalia chebula, Terminalia bellirica, Phyllanthus emblica||Each fruit||12 g|
|14.||Indravaruni||Citrullus colocynthis||Fruit||12 g|
|15.||Chavya||Piper chaba||Root||12 g|
|16.||Nagakeshara||Mesua ferrea||Stamen||12 g|
|17.||Kushta||Saussurea lappa||Root||12 g|
|18.||Ativisha||Aconitum heterophyllum||Root||12 g|
|19.||Ela (Cardamom)||Elettaria cardamomum||12 g|
|20.||Patra||Cinnamomum tamala||Leaf||12 g|
|21.||Twak||Cinnamomum zeylanica||12 g|
|22.||Bhunimba||Andrographis paniculata||12 g|
|23.||Patha||Cyclea peltata||Root||12 g|
|24.||Katuki||Picrorhiza kurroa||Root||12 g|
|25.||Pushkaramoola||Inula racemosa||Root||12 g|
|26.||Ajwain||Trachyspermum ammi||Fruit||12 g|
|27.||Pippali||Piper longum||Root||12 g|
|28.||Water for decoction||Each fruit||12.288 liters, boiled and reduced to 3.072 liters|
- Take 15 - 25 ml once or twice daily, generally advised after having meal.
- It can be mixed with equal quantity of water.
Method of Preparation
The first set of ingredients are added to appropriate amount of water, which is then boiled and decoction is prepared. Honey is added to it, and stored in an air tight container for fermentation for about 15 days. After this process, its contents are filtered and preserved.
- Lodhrasavam is used as natural remedy for heavy periods and it has astringent properties. Lodhrasava is used in the treatment of Anemia, digestive diseases, skin diseases and intestinal worms.
- Lodhrasav is a confirmed female tonic which is a useful in the treatment of almost all kinds of Gynecological diseases.
- It has ability to cure Menstrual Disorders (Excessive and prolonged), reducing menstruation pain and provides strength to uterus.
- This asav gives good results in obesity.
- It can improve digestion.
- Lodhrasav is good detoxifier which has ability to remove toxins from blood.
- It provides relief in constipation.
- The asava is good suggestion in case of leucorrhoea.
- Helps Prolapse of uterus.
- Beneficial remedy for all types of urinary diseases, diabetes, obesity and also Skin diseases.
- Good to use in sprue/malabsorption syndrome.
- It can be utilised in bleeding piles, diabetes & female health issues.
- This asava can improve the condition of Anemia.
- It can be a safe medicine in lower dose for use in children above 5 years of age.
- During pregnancy it is should be avoided.
- During lactation period, it can be used only under doctor's advice, for a short period of time.