Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali – Vatavyadhi Prakarana
Mahamasha Thailam (Oil) is one of the great formulation of Ayurveda. This is formulated through the herbs mixture. The main ingredient of this formulation is black urad. Black urad (masha) is known for its therapeutical properties like cooling, aphrodisiac, nerving tonic, anti-inflammatory, demulcent and immunity enhancer etc.
- Water (12.288 liters)
- Masha – Phasleolus Mungo (1.536 kg)
- Dashamoola (2.4 kg) - group of ten herbs:-
- Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Prinshnaparni – Urarica picta
- Gokshura – Tribulus terrestris
- Patala – Stereospermum suaveolens
- Shalaparni – Desmodium gangeticum
- Brihati – Solanum indicum
- Kantakari – Solanum xanthocarpum
- Agnimantha – Premna mucronata
- Shyonaka – Oroxylum indicum
- Gambhari – Gmelina arborea
- Atmagupta – Mucuna pruriens
- Urubaka – Castor root – Ricinus communis
- Shatahva – Anethum sowa
- Rock salt
- Sochal salt
- Common salt
- Manjishta – Rubia cordifolia
- Chavya – Piper chaba
- Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
- Katphala – Myrica nagi
- Vyosha – Trikatu – Pepper, long pepper and ginger
- Rasna – Pluchea lanceolata
- Licorice – GLycyrrhiza glabra
- Saindhava – rock salt
- Devadaru – Cedrus deodara
- Amruta – Tinospora cordifolia
- Kushta – Saussurea lappa
- Vajigandha – Withania somnifera
- Vacha – Acorus calamus
- Shati – Hedychium spicatum
Method of Preparation
- Take all the ingredients in its appropriate quantity.
- Take the ingredient number 2nd, 3rd and 4th and mixed with water (ingredient number one).
- Boil the above mixture and reduce to its one fourth to make kashayam.
- Now added other ingredients from number 5 to 9.
- Boil these herbs together to prepare herbal oil.
- For oral administration - 5 to 10 drops one to two times a day before meals with hot water.
- For external usage - Take the oil and do massage.
- Joint pains
- Locked jaw pain
- Cervical spondylosis
- Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy
- Take the precaution while taking if suffer from diabetes, high BP and hypercholesterolemia.
- Take the medicine under doctor's prescription.