What are the Medicinal Properties of Allspice (Pimenta Dioica)?
Allspice is an evergreen tree which belongs to the Myrtle family. This tree grows in the tropical climate and can reach up to the height of 12m. This herb takes its name from the aroma it throws out as Allspice smells like a combination of many herbs, especially nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. This is the only spice to be grown exclusively in the western hemisphere. Allspice tree is indigenous to Central and South America's rain forests. This name was given to Allspice in 1621 by a man who thought that this herb has combined the flavor of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
This herb is commonly used to add flavor to the chocolates and preserve human and animal remains. It is used in various cuisines like Arabian and Caribbean for preparing various meat dishes. Even in some dishes, it is the sole spice to be added. In its dried state allspice looks like peppercorns. They may vary in the size from 4-7mm. It gives a warm and sweetly pungent taste. Mainly, Allspice is the dried fruit of Plant called Pimenta dioica. Its unripe fruits are picked and dried in the sun until they turn to brownish color from green. While drying special care should be taken that the volatile oil called Eugenol remains as the end product. Its leaves resemble those of bay leaves and used in the same way for cooking purpose. Its wood and leaves are also used for smoking meat, usually in the regions where it is widely available.
- Common name- Allspice, Jamaica pepper, pimenta, Jamaica pimento
- Botanical name- Pimenta dioicaand Pimenta officinalis diocia.
- Hindi name- Seetful, Kebab cheeni
Just like its name allspice is an all-around healer and is used for cooking in Asian countries. It is also known as a parasitic shrub as this herb survives on the other trees. Its fruits are green when unripe and on ripening its turns black. Its berries are usually used for various purposes along with medicinal one. Due to its amazing taste and fragrance, these popular berries are used for cooking and pickling purposes in India and other neighboring countries.
This rich taste and fragrance of allspice come from Eugenol, a volatile oil. It is the same oil found in clove which makes it a popular desensitizer or pain killer. This herb is also used for commercial purposes and for preparing curries in various cuisines.
It is an evergreen shrub that can be grown around coffee trees to provide shade to them or can also be grown under them. Allspice can be grown in tropical and subtropical regions with normal water and soil. Frost can kill the small plants but the large plant can resist it. This tree can be kept as a houseplant in a container as it adapts well to it.
Medicinal Properties of Allspice
- It helps in treating all kinds of fever.
- For oral purposes, this herb works as a mouth freshener and due to the presence of Eugenol oil alleviates the pain.
- Allspice treats health ailments like flu, cold, chest infection and other respiratory troubles.
- It helps to relieve acidity and heartburn naturally owing to the digestive properties allspice possess.
- This is a natural herbal remedy for indigestion or dyspepsia. It works by boosting the digestion.
- It treats and prevents pain in stomach, acid reflux, vomiting and flatulence.
- Allspice increases appetite and relives colicky pain.
- It potentially manages the blood sugar level naturally.
- Headache and neuralgia are treated by this herb.
- Allspice provides strength and energy to the body, combating lethargy.
- Muscle ailments like pain in muscle and convulsions are treated by Allspice.
- Rheumatism, arthritis and other types of joint pains are relieved by it.
- This herb heals wounds and bruises and stops bleeding.
- Allspice treats weakness and fatigue.
- Bleeding disorders and menstrual ailments like heavy bleeding and abdominal cramps during menses is treated by this herb.
- It also helps to treat diarrhea and other digestive problems.
- Allspice relieves gas and bloating due to its carminative action.
- This herb works as an antiseptic and helps to prevent infections.
- It helps to maintain healthy digestion and prevent any kind of abdominal ailment.
- Pain relieving properties of this herb help to combat pain due to various reasons.