How to Improve Vision with Ayurveda?
Eyes have been given vital importance as a sense organ among all the sense organs. The changing lifestyle has resulted in many eye disorders. Hence, Ayurvedic ancient texts have a wide description pertaining to eye disorders and its management. A faulty lifestyle results in many disorders such as diabetes mellitus, age related macular degeneration (ARMD), hypertensive retinopathy, computer vision syndrome etc.
By following Ayurvedic principles, the eye disorders can be prevented and proper vision can be restored for long time.
According to Ayurveda, eyes are one of the most important organs of the human body which is governed by Pitta particularly Alochak Pitta which becomes less balanced as we age. Therefore, it is necessary to care of the eyes throughout life. The pitta concept of Ayurveda ties in closely with the modern view of inflammation and oxidation which are the key reasons for the weakening of eye sight.
The imbalance of Vata dosha causes problems in the circulation of nutrients in the body which can also affect the eyes.
Inadequate kapha can cause muscle weakness or dryness of the eyes.
All five elements play a vital role in maintaining the eye health.
- Prithvi (Earth) governs the muscular part of the eye.
- Vayu (Air) governs the colour of the eye.
- Agni (fire) governs the blood vessels.
- Jal (water) governs the white part of the eye
- Akash (space) controls the tear, ducts and channels.
What are the Causes of Weak Eye Sight?
Weak eye sight is generally associated with :-
- Excessive strain
- Focusing difficulties such as hypermetropia, myopia, astigmatism etc.
- Optical nerve damage as in glaucoma
- Macular degeneration and retinal damage
- Dry eyes or watery eyes
How Ayurveda can help in Low Vision?
1. Coconut Water
For computer vision syndrome, gently wash the eyes with tender coconut water as it relieves strain or you can put slices of cucumber on the eyes and sleep for 10 minutes.
2. Triphala Powder
Take 1 teaspoon of triphala powder at night mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey and 5 drops of cow's ghee.
Reference: Ashtang Hridyam Sutrasthanam, Chapter No. 6, Shlok No. 159)
Meaning: According to this shloka, triphala (amalki, haritaki and vibhitaki) is the best rejuvenator for the body, cures diseases of the eyes, heals wounds, cures skin diseases, excess moisture of the tissues, obesity, diabetes, aggravation of kapha dosha.
3. Amla (Emblica officinalis)
Amla is considered a perfect fruit for the eyes. Fresh amla juice can be mixed with any other fruit juice and taken once or twice a day or you can take fresh juice of 2-3 amla regularly on an empty stomach in the morning. This remedy can be continued for a long time after giving a gap of 10-15 days in between.
4. Almonds, Black Pepper and Honey
Soak 4-5 almonds overnight and peel them, take 2-4 black pepper and mix them. Add required amount of honey and take this mixture along with warm milk consecutively for 21 days or for 1 month. This is an ancient effective remedy for improving vision.
Reference: Ashtang Hridyam Sutrasthanam, Chapter No. 5, Shlok No. 51)
Meaning: In this shloka, properties of honey are explained. According to this shloka, honey is good for eyes, breaks up the hard masses, relieves thirst and balances kapha.
Carrot is an excellent vegetable which is loaded with anti-oxidants. It is a good source of beta-carotene and it is useful to treat Vitamin A deficiency. It is even useful in old age problems of the eyes. For improving eye vision, the fresh juice of carrots can be consumed once or twice a day or carrots can be eaten raw in salads.
6. Cow's Ghee and Milk
Cow's ghee is one of the physically health benefitting substances that is ever known to human beings. It calms Pitta and Vata dosha. It is useful in many health problems such as hypertension, insomnia etc. It is also prescribed for those who have weak eye sight and good for people of all age groups.
For weak eye sight, take warm milk mixed with one teaspoon of cow's ghee before going to bed at night. This remedy is also useful for people suffering from computer vision syndrome.
7. Rose Water (Rosa indica)
This remedy is very soothing, relaxing and have a beautiful fragrance. For eye vision, take cotton swab and put rose water on it making it wet. Apply this cotton swab on eyes once or twice a day. The extracts of rose petals can be used as eye drops or eye wash for relieving the burning sensation of the eyes.
8. Triphala : Amla (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
Boil all these three ingredients in a jar of water, when half of the water remains, filter the solution and rinse the eyes with this water by following gandush method. In gandush, fill the normal water in mouth so that mouth is fully blown like a balloon and rinse the eyes with this water. Follow this procedure for 3-4 weeks for reducing blurred vision, headache etc.
Exercises for Strengthening Eye Muscles
There are various exercises for strengthening eye muscles. These are:-
1. Near and Distant Viewing
Stand or sit by an open window with a clear view of the horizon and keep the arms by your side.
- Focus on the tip of the nose for 5-10 seconds and repeat this procedure for about 10-20 times.
- After that, close and relax the eyes.
Palming is an effective exercise for releasing stress from the eyes.
- Rub both the palms together quickly for 8-10 seconds. The friction causes mild heat.
- Close the eyes and gently place the left palm over the left eye and the right palm over the right eye for one minute but don't press the eyeballs with the palms. Breathe in and breathe out.
- Repeat this procedure for 2-3 times.
Some Preventive Tips:
- One of the biggest enemies of eyes is lack of sleep. Take proper sleep.
- Don't stare continuously, blink periodically and look away at short intervals to prevent eyes from straining.
- Never use hot or icy water on the eyes.
Certain Yoga poses that strengthen the eyes are Bhujangasana (snake pose), Shavasana (rest pose), Surya Namsakar (sun salutation) etc.
Take little cow's ghee and put this in the middle of eye brows and give pressure in circular movements for 7-8 minutes every night.
- Dip both thumbs in cow's ghee and give circular massage for 5 minutes on both left and right thumbs.