Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Ashtanga Hridayam chikitsa sthana 21/57-60
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu is classical Ayurvedic formulation that keeps the tridoshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha calm. It is blood purifier and good for skin diseases.
Ingredients and Method of Preparation
- Nimba (Neem) – 480 g
- Patola (Trichosanthes dioica) – 480 g
- Vyaghri (Solanum xanthocarpum) – 480 g
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) – 480 g
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica) – 480 g
- Water for decoction – 12.288 liters boiled and reduced to 3.072 liters
- Ghrita (Ghee) – 768 ml
12 grams of each of:-
- Patha (Cyclea peltata / Cissampelos pariera)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Suradaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Gajopakulya (Piper chaba)
- Yavakshara (Hordeum vulgare)
- Nagara (Zingiber officinalis)
- Nisha (Turmeric)
- Mishreya (Anethum sowa)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Kushta (Saussurea lappa)
- Tejovati (Zanthoxylum alatum)
- Maricha (Black pepper)
- Vatsaka (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Deepyaka (Trachyspermum ammi)
- Agni (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Rohini (Picrorrhiza kurroa)
- Arushkara (Semecarpus anacardium) - Purified
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Kanamoola (Piper longum) – root
- Yukta (Pluchea lanceolata)
- Manjishta (Rubia cordifolia)
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Vishani (Aconitum species)
- Yavani (Trachyspermum ammi)
- Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) - Purified – 240 g
Use all the above given ingredients in the prescribed amount and heat them till herbal ghee is obtained.
Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu possesses so many medicinal properties - Antioxidant, Antipruritic, Demulcent, Depurative (purifies blood), Neuro-protective, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-arthritic, Anti-inflammatory and Analgesic etc. This Ayurvedic medicine has potent use in managing the skin problems like in psoriasis, eczema it reduces the inflammation and provides cooling effects. It is good for non-healing wounds.
It is also helpful in digestive problems, improves the digestion and combats bloating and gastritis. Panchatikta Ghrita Guggulu has ability to manage the symptoms of piles, relieving the painful condition as well as has healing effect in fissure formation too. Reduces the trouble of abdominal distention.
It is a very good blood purifier that helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
This guggulu is suitable herbal remedy even for deep seated ulcers and helps to get relief from discomfort of abscess. Also good to improve the taste in case of tastelessness.
It is also effective in respiratory problems like asthma, cough, sinusitis and shortness of breath. Also possesses properties to deal with cardiac problems and relieves the patient from the pain and inflammatory condition of gout.
- To treat deep seated ulcers, abscess and sinus.
- Also effective in asthma, rhinitis, cough, cold, cardiac diseases and gout.
- It can bring about cooling effect and useful in the inflamed part of the body.
- Traditionally it was used in conditions like psoriasis and arthritis.
- It can even be given to improve digestion.
- Helpful to eliminate toxins by purifying the blood.
- Its benefit in skin disorders of vata and kapha prevalence.
6-10 gm with 100 ml of milk. It can be consumed along with warm water.
Contraindications/ Side Effects
- Till now no known side effects with this medicine has been reported.
- It is advised to avoid its self-medication and consume it under strict medical directions.
- People with conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, heart diseases and high BP must be very cautious.
- Its high dose, might leads to diarrhea and indigestion.