Pippalyasava (Pippalyasavam) - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Sharangdhara Samhita, Madhyamakhanda 10/28-33.
Pippalyasavam is a polyherbal ayurvedic medicine which is used for the treatment of digestive problems. It is a liquid fermented preparation. Long pepper (pippali) is considered as the major ingredients of Pippalyasavam. Many other herbs like Marich, Chavya, Haridra, Chitraka, Musta, Vidanga, Puga, Lodhra, Patha, Amla, Cardamom, Ushira and Tagara etc. are used in the preparation of this medicine. These herbs help to pacify the vitiated tridoshas - vata, pitta and kapha. On the other hand this medicine is also used for the treatment of piles and anemia etc.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1.||Long pepper||Piper longum||24 g|
|2.||Black pepper||Piper nigrum||24 g|
|3.||Turmeric||Curcuma longa||24 g|
|4.||Chavya||Piper cubeba||24 g|
|5.||Chitraka||Plumbago zeylanica||24 g|
|6.||Lodhra||Symplocos racemosa||24 g|
|7.||Patha||Cyclea peltata||24 g|
|8.||Musta||cyperus rotundus||24 g|
|9.||Vidanga||Embelia ribes||24 g|
|10.||Puga||Betel nut||24 g|
|11.||Amla||Emblica officinalis||24 g|
|12.||Cardamom||Elettaria cardamomum||24 g|
|13.||Ushira||Vetiveria zizanioides||24 g|
|14.||Sandalwood||Santalum album||24 g|
|15.||Kushta||Saussurea lappa||24 g|
|16.||Clove||Syzygium aromaticum||24 g|
|17.||Tagara||Valeriana wallichii||24 g|
|18.||Cinnamon||Cinnamomum verum||24 g|
|19.||Nagakeshara||Mesua ferrea||24 g|
|20.||Priyangu||Callicarpa macrophylla||24 g|
Methods of preparation
- Coarse powder of all the above mentioned herbs is made.
- This powder is added in water, jaggery,dry grapes and Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa) in a container.
- The container is kept closed.
- The sugar in jaggery and dry grapes undergo the natural fermentation and the medicine gets prepared by about a month time.
- Ingredients are filtered and stored in hygienic conditions.
- Adults: 15 - 25 ml once or two times daily, after food. Or as suggested by physician.
- For kids: Use of this medicine is safe for kids in lower dose. 1 - 2 ml is suggested to the children above 2 years of age. It acts as a good appetizer in children, and also useful in intestinal worm infestation.
- Pregnancy and lactation: During pregnancy use of this medicine should be avoided or can be taken under the medical supervision. During lactation period it can be taken.
- digestive complaints
- Liver complaints
- Loss of muscle mass and body strength
- Abdominal tumor
- Gain weight
- Malabsorption syndrome
- IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)
Overdose of this medicine may lead to the gastric problems like gastritis. People with sensitive stomach cannot tolerate this medicine.