Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali
Shothari Mandur is an Ayurvedic formulation in the form of tablet. The Calx prepared with Iron oxide, also called as Mandura. Iron oxide calx is the main ingredient of this medicine. It is helpful in edema and inflammatory conditions. It balances Pitta and Vata.
- Mandura Bhasma (Iron Oxide Calx)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Manakanda (Alocasia indica)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinalis)
- Gomutra (Cow urine)
Fine powder of:-
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Shunti (Zingiber officinalis)
- Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Java Long Pepper (Piper chaba)
Method of Preparation
The Iron oxide calx is crushed with the juice extracts of first 4 ingredients, then cow urine is added to it. It is then heated. Later, rest of the powdered ingredients are added. Honey is added in the end and mixed well then tablets of 250 mg each are made.
Shothari Mandur is an amazing combination of various natural ingredients. This medicine helps to balance the pitta and vata doshas in body. Use of this medicine is quite beneficial in all types of swelling, edema and inflammation. It is good source of Iron. Anti-inflammatory action of this medicine helps to reduce the inflammation or swelling. It works well to reduce the body pain also. In the edema this medicine helps to eliminate the extra fluid accumulated in the body. It helps to manage the various symptoms associated with the edema like swelling in legs, hands, arms, ankle and feet. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic action of this medicine also helps to provide relief in pain. Besides of this, diuretic action of this medicine helps to increase the urine output and expels out the waste materials from body.
- Excellent source of iron
1 to 2 tablets twice a day after meals or as prescribed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Self-medication should be discouraged.
- It should be avoided or taken under strict medical supervision in pregnancy, lactation and children.
- Over dosage might cause adverse effects.