Top 7 Home Remedies for Cough
Coughing is one of the most common health issue. It is body's natural cleaning way to remove foreign materials from our body. Whenever our brain gets information of mucus or any other irritant in our throat or upper air passages, it immediately gives signal to our body to cough so as to remove that element as early as possible. However it protects our body but leave the chest aching as helps in clearing the large breathing passages from fluids, irritants, mucus etc. sometimes leads to aches in our upper body. Coughing can be due to hidden diseases such as allergic rhinitis, bacterial infection of upper respiratory tract, sinusitis, lung cancer, tuberculosis, asthma, pneumonia or reflex of stomach contents, viral infection, common cold, flu and smoking. Syndromes of cough includes itchy throat, chest pain and congestion. Instead of using cough syrups, one can try some natural treatments using readily available ingredients in kitchen.
Home Remedies for Cough
Turmeric is loaded with therapeutic effect on coughs, specifically a dry cough. It is a yellow colored herb with lots of medicinal properties. It is anti-inflammatory in nature, its curcumin aids in alleviating the chest congestion that flourishes in people suffering with chronic cough. Use of volatile oil extracted from turmeric for cough is also very promising in soothing cough by getting rid of phlegm.
- Simply roast turmeric root and grind it into a smooth powder, mix the powder with water and honey. And here it is, the remedy is ready to take, drink it twice a day.
- Moreover, one can make herbal tea also by adding one teaspoon of turmeric powder and one teaspoon of carom seeds to a cup of water, and boil it until water reduces to one-half cup. Add some honey and drink this herbal solution twice or thrice a day.
- Alternatively, add equal amounts turmeric powder and black pepper powder in a boiling half cup of water. One can add few cinnamon sticks along with honey (one tsp.). Boil the solution for two to three minutes. Drink the solution daily until the condition improves.
2. Hot Milk with Honey
Honey appeared to be as effective as a common cough suppressant ingredient 'dextromethorphan'. Since honey is cheaper and widely available, it might be worth a try.
- Chest pain experienced from continuous coughing can be cured with honey mixed in hot milk, drink it before going to sleep. One can consume plain honey directly with water as it helps to soothe the throat and clears the mucus from the body.
- One can go for another remedy as well made from the same ingredient. Add honey with holy basil (Tulsi) and take this twice daily.
- Take equal proportions of Black pepper, Long Pepper and Ginger powders. Mix all and take this powder twice daily with honey for fast relief from cough.
Garlic is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. It is used as a cough remedy since ages.
- Crush some garlic and consume directly or with honey, or one can use in cooking also.
- Take some crushed garlic, mix some honey and few drops of clove oil to it. Consuming it will help in sore throat relief.
- Take four to five cloves of garlic with a teaspoon of oregano and some honey in a cup of water. Boil till it remains half. Allow it to cool to room temperature and drink it. This will help in breathing and dip other cough symptoms.
- Boil two crushed Garlic cloves in a cup of milk. Boil till ½ cup of milk remains, make two equal halves and take one part in morning and one in evening.
Note: In case of acidity problems, this remedy is not advisable.
Ginger, the most popular herb used in treating cough has lots of magical properties. Ginger bear anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which kills the unhealthy bacteria. It aids to break up the congestion developed in the respiratory passages. Gingerol and zingiberene present in ginger helps to boost the immune system and even coats the esophagus to prohibit itchiness and irritation.
Directions to follow:-
- Crush fresh ginger slightly. Put in a cup of water and bring it to boil. Drink this solution many times a day to get rid of sore throat, non-stop coughing and even congestion fast. One can add some lemon juice and honey to this for better results.
- Alternatively one can chew fresh raw ginger on and off throughout the day to plunge the cough conditions.
5. Holy Basil
It is known as "Tulsi" in layman's language. It is used in multiple ways in treating impotence, poisoning, dyspnea, vomiting, coughs, halitosis, backaches, respiratory diseases and even arthritis. The ancient texts of Ayurveda illustrate multiple use of Holy Basil in treating several diseases.
- A tea made with holy basil leaves is a common primitive method to get relief from cold, cough and mild indigestion.
Cinnamon is strong anti-inflammatory and anti-viral. It support healthy heart, healthy respiration, ignites the digestive fire and work for purifying the blood and even support healthy pancreas. It has the ability to digest Aama/toxins.
- Take some honey and mix in cinnamon to taste. Take one spoonful as needed to stop cough.
- Make a fine powder of cinnamon stick and consume with water.
Cloves are packed with medicinal properties, has phenolic compounds such as eugenol and gallic acid, which are anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial in nature. Cloves not only relieve a sore throat but also alleviate misery caused due to persistent coughing. It acts as a natural expectorant because of essential oil present in it, helps in clearing the respiratory passage.
Cloves also possess antibacterial properties and benefit to alleviate the pain occurred due to continuous coughing and sore throat. Cloves also helps to get rid of the itchy feeling which is common sign during dry cough.
Method to use:-
- Take a clove with rock salt and chew it thoroughly to ease down the soreness and irritation of the throat.
- You can even burn a clove and crunch it to get relief from a severe cough.
- Moreover, Clove oil can also be used when mixed with honey, gives an amazing effect from recurring cough.
To recapitulate, these natural remedies are very effective in cases of coughs, even mild or chronic. One must try at home to get optimum results.